Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-14-2016, 10:24 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i Convertable
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328iblack View Post
Attachment 567250Attachment 567251Attachment 567251

Ok here is an example of what I am talking about. Please see photos. First of all there are tons of 328's out there all over the country. The best way to get a deal is to be flexible about where you can get the car. With a little negotiation you can get that certified car listed here for about 22500. That's 3,000 dollars less than the carmax car and its certified with a certified warranty. I just looked real quick, but you can find similar cars with miles to what you bought certified at a BMW dealer and then negotiate the price down from their . There were several 2013 328's certified at about this same price.

Those are sedans. Different car. I've been to most dealers in Florida and no luck. Private parties, yes, but typically higher price or higher miles.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Attachment 567250Attachment 567251Attachment 567251

Ok here is an example of what I am talking about. Please see photos. First of all there are tons of 328's out there all over the country. The best way to get a deal is to be flexible about where you can get the car. With a little negotiation you can get that certified car listed here for about 22500. That's 3,000 dollars less than the carmax car and its certified with a certified warranty. I just looked real quick, but you can find similar cars with miles to what you bought certified at a BMW dealer and then negotiate the price down from their . There were several 2013 328's certified at about this same price.

Also if I'm reading it right, the CarMax car has 17k miles while the dealership car has 49k miles. That is a significant difference. I'm in no way a Carmax fan but in this case they've got the better deal.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335is 2011
Just trying to help, take a look yourself. I just did a quick check for you to show you what I was talking about. Carmax has some of the worst reviews and horror stories around. I would not buy a car from them, but that's just me. My point is that the prices of the cars are comparable at the start and you can negotiate the BMW dealer price down about 10 percent. Carmax does not negotiate. I know this because I have done it twice. Good luck.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Just trying to help, take a look yourself. I just did a quick check for you to show you what I was talking about. Carmax has some of the worst reviews and horror stories around. I would not buy a car from them, but that's just me. My point is that the prices of the cars are comparable at the start and you can negotiate the BMW dealer price down about 10 percent. Carmax does not negotiate. I know this because I have done it twice. Good luck.

Thank you for the info! I appreciate any buying help I can get. There is always the possibility to turn around and trade this Bimmer in at a dealership if they can get me what I need at a better price. I'm still below KBB on it.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
Fool me once shame on me... Take the car back if you still can...
Old 06-16-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita335i7 View Post
Fool me once shame on me... Take the car back if you still can...

May I ask why? I am just curious why the issues I found are reason to return a 5 year old car. What I was really looking for with this post is people's opinions on specific issues that are definitely deal breakers on a used BMW. Is there some advantage to get a CPO from a dealer when it comes to reliability?
Old 06-16-2016, 07:09 PM

It's just me, but if I bought that car from carmax and found those issues, I would have taken it back. It was in an accident , you said that there was body work on it. If an independent mechanic caught that, I would be asking them why they did not catch that in their 100 point inspection?? As a matter of fact, if they did not divulge that, you can probably get them to take it back now. I guess the accident would be a deal breaker for me . Having to put a couple thousand bucks into a car I just bought would be one too. With the CPO , all of the service has to be documented on the car for it to be eligible. They do an inspection on the car and bring all wear parts up to a minimum standard. For example they replaced the oil pan gasket on my car, wipers, tires, oil, spark plugs , brakes and some other things before I got it. I know that the service schedule on the car was followed by he previous owner too and documented . It was just peace of mind for me and I know that if their is an issue with the car I have recourse and they will fix it. It has taken me many years and mistakes to get to where I am at with buying a car. I made mistakes and I hope I learned from them. Anyway, that's what's good about this forum , lots of people are willing to help.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
It's just me, but if I bought that car from carmax and found those issues, I would have taken it back. It was in an accident , you said that there was body work on it. If an independent mechanic caught that, I would be asking them why they did not catch that in their 100 point inspection?? As a matter of fact, if they did not divulge that, you can probably get them to take it back now. I guess the accident would be a deal breaker for me . Having to put a couple thousand bucks into a car I just bought would be one too. With the CPO , all of the service has to be documented on the car for it to be eligible. They do an inspection on the car and bring all wear parts up to a minimum standard. For example they replaced the oil pan gasket on my car, wipers, tires, oil, spark plugs , brakes and some other things before I got it. I know that the service schedule on the car was followed by he previous owner too and documented . It was just peace of mind for me and I know that if their is an issue with the car I have recourse and they will fix it. It has taken me many years and mistakes to get to where I am at with buying a car. I made mistakes and I hope I learned from them. Anyway, that's what's good about this forum , lots of people are willing to help.

to be fair, CarMax is willing to take the car back no questions asked, even after the 5 days was up and fix any issues found including wear items like brakes and tires (which they already did before I bought it). They provided the service history which was all done by the BMW dealer they bought it from. It was not eligible for CPO because of the age (per the BMW dealer). They disagree on those two items I mentioned prior and say they are fine. I'm taking it to the dealership on Saturday for a 3rd opinion.

Of course, if I was willing to buy a 428i none of this would matter because I'd get it CPO from the dealer but I don't like the newer models.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:54 AM

I'm just concerned about the accident, there is a reason it's not listed on the car fax , it drastically reduces the value of the car. Any accident , even a minor one , like a small dent, on a carfax report will really hurt the value of the car. Let's just toss out a theory : the BMW dealer inspected the car and found the accident , could not CPO it and sold it at auction. Carmax bought it with knowledge of the accident and did not reveal it to you. Their is no way that carmax did not know about the repair/accident to the car if your mechanic found it. I would let them have the car back. They can do a nationwide search for you at all the carmax locations and find you another car. They can ship it in or you can go pick it up. I think their most expensive shipping cost is 900.00, that is from anywhere in the country. I would try and get them to pick the shipping based on your problems and their lack of honesty on the accident . Don't get me wrong , I love my BMW , but even though it was hard to find the model I wanted and it was pretty rare, I would have kept looking if those kind of issues popped up. I have a 335is, 2011 , convertible , red with black interior and I'm sure that's harder to find than the car you are looking for. I think they only made 300 of that car that year. In the long run , with all these questions and doubts , it's just not worth the headache and worry. I know that's not what you want to hear , but just think about that option. In the long run, I think you will be much happier.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325xi
If Carmax is still willing to take the car back after this long, you should returne it IMMEDIATELY if not sooner.

Why? Because it means Carmax knows they have significant exposure for not disclosing the accident, and it means there will be further issues with the car down the road that are not yet apparent.

Remember - it's just a car. There are a lot of them out there, and you'll find one that you like that does not have the issues, current and future, that this car presents.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:22 AM

Sorry for so much info in this topic but I think posting my experiences are a good way to pay it forward for others shopping for a used car and like to over analyze things like I do. I literally post every repair, mod, review, and concern with all the cars I own. I also film/photo all work I do myself and post it for others to learn from or critique.

So, I've discovered the vehicle was certified pre-owned in 12/2014 by the dealer it was originally purchased from. The 2nd owner bought it from them as a CPO vehicle. The car was then traded in to the dealer for a new model. At that time, the car passed the dealers inspection (which I have a copy of) but due to the age and the fact that it is not the newest model, they sold it to CarMax. The original dealership has sent me all the maintenance records. They agree the front bumper was repaired poorly but did not see any issues with the motor mount or strut/knuckle. Their alignment check showed the front camber was within tolerance for this car although just barely. Bottom line - if my local BMW dealership confirms there are issues with the mount and strut I'm returning it. If they can't find anything wrong with it, I'm keeping it.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:16 PM

Ok, 6 month update. No issues with struts or mounts - dealer and another independent BMW mechanic agree there are no strut or mount concerns. I have replaced the tires (I hate run flats) and two ignition coils.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 02-17-2017, 08:34 AM

I never understand why people buy from carmax? There reviews are terrible , the ops story is told over and over by people, same issues. Both of my BMW 's were purchased from BMW dealers and I got better deals than carmax. I think people need to learn how to negotiate!!!!

Old 02-17-2017, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 E93 335is
Great news, Shifty, glad your car is good to go. Carmax really depends on the specific car, time and place. As I said earlier in this thread, we bought my wife a Benz at Carmax and I normally don't shop there because their prices tend to be high. But in our case they had just received a truckload of really clean corporate lease vehicles. She got her pick of the litter, and they priced them aggressively (I assume because they had 11 of them on the lot at the time...). I still paid the MB dealer to inspect it but they found absolutely nothing. Not. One. Thing. Best and easiest buying experience I've ever had. Patience is the key, and you still may never find your desired vehicle at a competitive price there. But I wouldn't rule them out. Reasonable deals on excellent cars can be had there. YMMV.

Last edited by JarrodS; 02-17-2017 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
I never understand why people buy from carmax? There reviews are terrible , the ops story is told over and over by people, same issues. Both of my BMW 's were purchased from BMW dealers and I got better deals than carmax. I think people need to learn how to negotiate!!!!

Read before you post; I explained that already. I started at the dealer but they didn't have the car I wanted. The E9x's were already cleared out and none of the used dealers had an M sport with low enough miles.

Old 06-11-2017, 12:28 PM

So 1 year in and only things I've needed to do are an O2 sensor and new coils and plugs. Ride is nicer after ditching the run flats, no CELs, roof maintenance completed immediately, and no signs of mount issues. So far so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 06-11-2017, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335is
Quote:

There may be numerous reasons to buy from carmax in my opinion...and their reputation certainly isn't one of them...However, I purchased a 2011 335is from them in Atlanta last year. The reason? They had EXACTLY the car I was looking for. Nobody else did. In fact, when I was researching the purchase, carmax had over 40 is's to choose from nationwide! Most of them were close enough to me where they would truck the car to my local dealership for free or for a few hundred bucks to test drive. Not bad for a low numbers car. Sometimes you have to make concessions to get something you want when that item is rare...in this case that was doing business with a company with a dubious reputation. I just had to be careful, do my homework, and watch them like a hawk. I looked around for over a year and finally found the exact 335is coupe I wanted...one owner, no issues, navigation, Harman Karden, rear shade, 19 inch 313s...and my make or break wishlist item...a manual trans...and to top it off only 17k on the odometer. Maybe I got lucky but....nobody else could come close to checking all these boxes. Now we all know from experience that carmax repaints the front bumper on every car that moves through the dealership and i just had to accept that. Compare this to Autotrader who had about the same number of cars available but honestly they didn't compare to all the is's from carmax. They either didn't have the options I wanted, had too many miles, or the prices were too high. I'd say carmax had about 15 cars with 25k miles or less. I went to multiple Atlanta BMW dealerships as well and they couldn't get what I wanted either. And Atl has some big high volume dealerships. All the 335is's the dealerships had were CPO which means....no more that 3-5% price negotiation....I experienced. And most had 35+k miles....So i bought a 335is from carmax...turned out good for me. Oh also I took the car to 2 different independent bmw repair shops i do regular business with during the 5 day return policy and it was all roses...oh and one more thing. Extended warranty. The company they do business are notoriously difficult to work with...but i got factory warranty coverage for an additional 5 years to 100k miles for approx $2,500. BMW, Audi...no one can touch that. However my mechanics said to let them worry about dealing with the warranty company if it ever comes to that....I feel pretty fat and happy...

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 06-18-2017, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadoRick View Post
There may be numerous reasons to buy from carmax in my opinion...and their reputation certainly isn't one of them...However, I purchased a 2011 335is from them in Atlanta last year. The reason? They had EXACTLY the car I was looking for. Nobody else did. In fact, when I was researching the purchase, carmax had over 40 is's to choose from nationwide! Most of them were close enough to me where they would truck the car to my local dealership for free or for a few hundred bucks to test drive. Not bad for a low numbers car. Sometimes you have to make concessions to get something you want when that item is rare...in this case that was doing business with a company with a dubious reputation. I just had to be careful, do my homework, and watch them like a hawk. I looked around for over a year and finally found the exact 335is coupe I wanted...one owner, no issues, navigation, Harman Karden, rear shade, 19 inch 313s...and my make or break wishlist item...a manual trans...and to top it off only 17k on the odometer. Maybe I got lucky but....nobody else could come close to checking all these boxes. Now we all know from experience that carmax repaints the front bumper on every car that moves through the dealership and i just had to accept that. Compare this to Autotrader who had about the same number of cars available but honestly they didn't compare to all the is's from carmax. They either didn't have the options I wanted, had too many miles, or the prices were too high. I'd say carmax had about 15 cars with 25k miles or less. I went to multiple Atlanta BMW dealerships as well and they couldn't get what I wanted either. And Atl has some big high volume dealerships. All the 335is's the dealerships had were CPO which means....no more that 3-5% price negotiation....I experienced. And most had 35+k miles....So i bought a 335is from carmax...turned out good for me. Oh also I took the car to 2 different independent bmw repair shops i do regular business with during the 5 day return policy and it was all roses...oh and one more thing. Extended warranty. The company they do business are notoriously difficult to work with...but i got factory warranty coverage for an additional 5 years to 100k miles for approx $2,500. BMW, Audi...no one can touch that. However my mechanics said to let them worry about dealing with the warranty company if it ever comes to that....I feel pretty fat and happy...

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app

Your story mirrors mine. I never would have considered Carmax if the dealer had the car I was looking for.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search