Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 F15 (2014 - Current)

X5 F15 (2014 - Current)
The all new F15 BMW X5 started production August 2013 as a 2014 model year. The new X5 arrives in sDrive35i (RWD), xDrive35i, xDrive50i and a diesel xDrive 35d.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2016 X5 40e
Morning commute- 180 MPG!! And now charging at work - whoop!

65-74 MPH 85% freeway. - 60% with ACC then tried shutting that off and using my 'skills'. Hoping to get to zero gas ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4343.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	574144  

Last edited by X5_XPRESS; 08-24-2016 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by th_kemp View Post
Debating between 35d and 40e. Your opinion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyinacar View Post
New thread, in case any other X5 xDrive40e owners care to post/debate best practices that differ from fossil-fuel X5 variants.

OF COURSE, you can drive the 40e just like any other X5, so let's stipulate that option right up front.

But, if so inclined, you can drive it a little more "hybridishly."

Just to get the ball rolling, then:
  • Accelerate modestly in normal daily driving, unless you desire to accelerate rapidly (i.e., you want to pull away quickly). This is similar to using the "disable start/stop" button on a typical X5. In other words, don't floor it at every single red light (...but, hey, maybe blow past a Volt once in a while )
  • Above ~1 MPH (?), light braking is regenerative, and regeneration is your friend. Unless you're being intentionally sporty (as above), look further down the road than you might otherwise, and "drag" the brake a long way when approaching red lights. Normally, we're all taught not to drag the brakes. Here, dragging is preferred. Hard braking uses the calipers hard, which just makes heat. Of course: brake as hard as the situation requires, for safety or sport.
  • Both the departure time feature and the BMW smart phone app will use "shore power" to run A/C or heat electrically. So get in the habit of asking for remote climate control 10 minutes before you intend to unplug and drive. This increases range, fuel economy, and comfort.
  • In very heavy stop/go, low-speed rush hour traffic, consider using "Max eDrive" "Eco Pro" and ACC (if equipped) together, with the ACC set at 20 MPH, its minimum. This has the effect of electric-only automatic follow, and is waaaay awesome! Much of your accordion-traffic-braking will be regenerative. Note: YOU MUST STILL PAY ATTENTION!
  • Regeneration is a function of wheel speed over land, not tach RPMs. In other words, downshifting the (actual geared) transmission and rev'ing higher doesn't get you more regeneration. So drive normally if you want to recharge the battery (wasting more fuel) except in "Max eDrive" mode. Hitting the "Save Battery" mode gets you the most regeneration, even under light acceleration.
  • Rock crawling uphill seems smoother with >10% battery. Plan ahead if you're driving to the hills/lake/camp/rocks. Keep a little juice in the battery.
  • Plug in whenever the opportunity presents. It's almost always cheaper, and the car is more fun to drive with a full battery than a dead one. Oh, and the EV spots tend to be fantastic! First ones after handicapped, usually.

Having driven the Mt. Washington Auto Road in a hybrid, I recall that they hand you a special sheet of paper with hybrid-only best practices for the 40-minute descent. If you ride the brake in a normal car, you're likely to overheat the brakes, and possibly lose control on the way down. People have indeed been hurt and killed due to brake failure. So you have to come down in first gear, and some cars pull over to cool the rotors and pads. Police cars aren't allowed, because they often have first gear locked out. But in a hybrid, it's the opposite. You're actually encouraged to ride the "brake" (generator, really), because it just dumps into the battery. They also tell you to put the windows down and blast the heater out the window, because it turns your car into a big 'ol hair dryer, which acts as the sink for excess electricity regenerated on the way down.

Any other tips?
So happy I got the ACC. Last nights commute traffic was it's usual mess, 5 miles of stop and go. I set the ACC and EcoPro and it was breeze... !! Still working on my regen skills with the X5 - after 60K miles in two Volts over the past 4.5 years I have to learn X5's nature.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:26 PM

Can anyone provide insight into the delayed charging setting? I went thru all the options on the app and in the car, setting it to low cost charging and the tariff after 11PM. I set a departure time of 6:53A. Even with all that I still see the car start charging immediately when I plug in my 110 charger (8:30PM here) - The battery is currently depleted and I want charge after 11PM tonight/ Ever time plug in I see the blue ring start flashing and the car starts charging - any ideas on what I am doing wrong??

PS I tried not setting a departure time as well but it seems to say that has to be set for low cost to work.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 3.0, 1997 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_XPRESS View Post

65-74 MPH 85% freeway. - 60% with ACC then tried shutting that off and using my 'skills'. Hoping to get to zero gas ...
Thanks for sharing!
I have been using mine for almost a month now.
This attached screenshot is typical of my morning commute which is 22.4 miles from home to work.
The drive is mostly freeway (I-66 East) with some segments at 60 to 70mph and about 2 miles of bumper-to-bumper traffic.
With only a 2.5 mile difference, you're getting 180 MPG vs mine at 123.8 MPG.
Your trip duration is definitely shorter but I wonder what other factors affect the level of efficiency. Perhaps one of them is the traffic.

I set it to MaxDrive/Eco Pro until the battery is depleted (after about 16 miles), then set it to Auto eDrive/Sports (for more regeneration). Once I see that the battery has gained 1 mile of charge, I set it back to MaxDrive/Eco Pro to maximize the electric use. The battery is almost drained when I arrive at the office. We have a Level 2 charger in the office garage and it is fully charged after 2.5 hours. I use the connected drive app to monitor charging which I find very useful.

I replaced my 2012 Prius (not the plug-in) with the X5 40e. I normally can get an average of 46 mpg with the Prius. I'm still observing and collecting data, but I believe I'm spending less on gas with the X5 based on my office commute alone.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	X5 Efficiency-8-25.PNG
Views:	174
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	574224  
Old 08-30-2016, 11:37 AM

I think the Sports mode (and charging the battery) is using more fuel. My commute is also downhill in general. The commute home is averaging about 75mpg.

I've been playing around with the settings and turning on the ICE on some downhill sections and seeing if there is much difference. I wish there was a to access the vehicle logs that might show gas usage, kWh usage, miles driven, and more trip data for each journey. My Volt uploads all that data to Voltstats and it very cool to see miles since last fill up, etc. Even a simple miles driven on Gas and miles driven on electric wold be useful. At this point I have to calculate it and write it down.

My rough calculations show that I should be subtracting about 45 miles per week from my total range - using about 9 miles (0.5 GAL= 80mpg?) per 40 mile day back and forth to work. With a full tank range showing 533, and only commuting, that equates to about 11.5 weeks between gas fill ups for my 40 mile per day commute. I'll get some ICE highway figures this coming weekend on a 165 mile trip to the mountains going from sea level to 4000 feet and back. Hoping to see at least 25mpg....
Old 09-02-2016, 10:38 AM

876 X5 40e's sold in August - Whoop! Must be those great lease rates!!

The surprise hit for August? Has to be the BMW X5 xDrive40e (or X5 plug-in, if you will), which sold an all-time best 876 copies. You can almost here the US population screaming "we want more plug-in utility vehicles!"

http://insideevs.com/electric-vehicl...comment-998526
Old 09-02-2016, 02:22 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 135i Convertible
Quote:
876 X5 40e's sold in August - Whoop! Must be those great lease rates!!

The surprise hit for August? Has to be the BMW X5 xDrive40e (or X5 plug-in, if you will), which sold an all-time best 876 copies. You can almost here the US population screaming "we want more plug-in utility vehicles!"

http://insideevs.com/electric-vehicl...comment-998526
The lease rates were good! I was interested in a X5x40e here in NH and for a 70k+ vehicle the payments were not bad at all! Unfortunately I was not quick enough on the deal AND I am looking for a smaller SUV next round - hopefully the X3x40e will be equally as impressive.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:35 AM

Mein Auto: 435 Grand Coupe MSport
BUMP...

I am bumping this thread because there is such good information in it, we should make sure not to lose it off the first page. I dont have a 40e (I have the X5d), but loved reading this information, and think its awesome information.
2016 435 Grand Coupe Estoril Blue MSport |Hex. EB Trim-Blk. Dakota | MSoort | Technology | Drivers Asst. | Drivers Assist+|Lighting |Track Pack W/ 442 Wheels |Heated Frnt Seats | Smartphone Integration | HK Stereo (His)

2016 X5 XDrive35d Space Grey |Blk Dakota W/ Fineline Oak | MSport | Lighting Pack | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | ACC W Stop N Go | 20" Wheels| Smartphone Integration | Multi Contour Seats | HK Stereo (hers)

BMW CCA #477341
Old 09-09-2016, 07:53 AM

Mein Auto: 40e
Awwww.... . Thanks to everyone for the great contributions!

Adding a cross-reference here to the "but what happens when the battery is empty?" thread?

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=929891
Old 09-09-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
BUMP...

I am bumping this thread because there is such good information in it, we should make sure not to lose it off the first page. I dont have a 40e (I have the X5d), but loved reading this information, and think its awesome information.
Indeed, lots of good information specially for 40e owners.
The best advice I got is from guyinacar he posted in another thread:
"So, IMHO, the real determinants of MPG are how often you plug it in, how fast you can charge, and how much you drain the battery along each trip. Underway, the trick to great mileage is to "spend electricity" during the journey. Get the knack of that, and you can hit 50's. That's a bit of a skill (or a bit of a game), much like learning to read the racing line of the curves on a track, or "trimming in" a boat or plane. If you have a 20 mile drive, you'd want to start at 100% battery, and hit your destination at 3% battery, with as much torque and comfort as desired along the way. Pilots don't get extra credit for landing with 50% full fuel tanks - that generally means they did some math wrong at takeoff. Similar here. There's no extra credit for "landing" the 40e at the next charging station with a full battery. If you really want to squeeze the value from petroleum, the trick is to "spend electricity" (rather than petrol) as much as possible while underway.

I find the "Pilot" analogy very meaningful... With that in mind, I make sure that my battery usage is optimized when I arrive at my destination. My daily commute is 23 miles each way between home and the office. I use the navigation which gives me how much distance to go to reach my destination. I also set the on board computer switch to show much electric miles is left of the battery. I start with the eDrive button to Auto eDrive, and the driving mode to eco pro. I then drive normally. Depending on my speed, sometimes the gas engine will kick-in but the battery is mostly used for slow traffic. When the distance to destination equals the remaining electric miles, I set the eDrive button to Max eDrive. This normally results in having the battery almost depleted (around 3% left) upon reaching my destination. Using the App to monitor efficiency, I normally get 90 to 100% efficiency. The electric miles driven averages 60 to 80% of the trip on a good day with less traffic. I am lucky that my parking garage in the office has a level 2 charger which takes around 2-1/2 hours to recharge the battery to 100% making the car ready for my commute back home. Just sharing my experience in applying the valuable info I got from this forum. I would be curious to learn more tips and learn from the experience of others!

For long-distance trip, it would be another story. I drove from VA to NJ last weekend. One way is around 256 miles. I just set it to comfort mode and auto edrive. My average consumption for the whole trip was 25mpg. My average speed was 80 mph on the freeway. I find the 4-cylinder engine very capable. It feels that it has more power than the 2007 X5 3.0si it replaced! But as the saying goes, YMMV (your mileage may vary)...
Old 09-09-2016, 09:59 AM

Also linking this...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=48
Old 09-09-2016, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 X5 Xdrive40e
Quote:
Originally Posted by hochoco View Post
... With that in mind, I make sure that my battery usage is optimized when I arrive at my destination. My daily commute is 23 miles each way between home and the office. I use the navigation which gives me how much distance to go to reach my destination. I also set the on board computer switch to show much electric miles is left of the battery. I start with the eDrive button to Auto eDrive, and the driving mode to eco pro. I then drive normally. Depending on my speed, sometimes the gas engine will kick-in but the battery is mostly used for slow traffic. When the distance to destination equals the remaining electric miles, I set the eDrive button to Max eDrive. This normally results in having the battery almost depleted (around 3% left) upon reaching my destination. Using the App to monitor efficiency, I normally get 90 to 100% efficiency. The electric miles driven averages 60 to 80% of the trip on a good day with less traffic. I am lucky that my parking garage in the office has a level 2 charger which takes around 2-1/2 hours to recharge the battery to 100% making the car ready for my commute back home. Just sharing my experience in applying the valuable info I got from this forum. I would be curious to learn more tips and learn from the experience of others! ...

So you may or may not already be aware, but when you set a navigation destination in the 40e, the system will actually attempt to optimize the drive using things like ascents, descents, basic topography, even anticipated speeds, stops and traffic.

The Official blurb:
In conjunction with the standard Navigation system Professional, intelligent energy management featuring an anticipatory powertrain strategy that takes the route profile, traffic situation and drive mode into
account in order to make efficient use of the battery’s remaining capacity and maximise the distance driven purely on electric power with zero local emissions.
from http://www.plugincars.com/bmw-x5-xdrive40e
One exciting feature in the X5 is that its satellite navigation system is capable of plotting the best combination of electric, gasoline and hybrid driving to get you where you need to go as efficiently as possible. By routing and predicting speed and driving conditions along the way, the X5 can essentially do its own “hypermiling”— pretty cool for those of us who don’t relish detailed strategizing a route every time we drive.
Obviously, this only works when a destination is set.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphipri0n View Post
So you may or may not already be aware, but when you set a navigation destination in the 40e, the system will actually attempt to optimize the drive using things like ascents, descents, basic topography, even anticipated speeds, stops and traffic.

The Official blurb:
In conjunction with the standard Navigation system Professional, intelligent energy management featuring an anticipatory powertrain strategy that takes the route profile, traffic situation and drive mode into
account in order to make efficient use of the battery’s remaining capacity and maximise the distance driven purely on electric power with zero local emissions.
from http://www.plugincars.com/bmw-x5-xdrive40e
One exciting feature in the X5 is that its satellite navigation system is capable of plotting the best combination of electric, gasoline and hybrid driving to get you where you need to go as efficiently as possible. By routing and predicting speed and driving conditions along the way, the X5 can essentially do its own “hypermiling”— pretty cool for those of us who don’t relish detailed strategizing a route every time we drive.
Obviously, this only works when a destination is set.
Good to know! Thanks for the info. I'll do an experiment and let it manage itself throughout the trip and see if there is a difference in the remaining charge of the battery when I reach my destination, as well as difference on the Efficiency level. At least now I have baseline data to compare with.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:52 AM

Does anyone know if there is a way to capture the data from the 'Connected' app using a web browser?

I've found that connecting my phone to the USB port and starting the Connected app gives me data not available elsewhere. This data includes: Fuel Level, Fuel Range, Mileage Reading and a time stamp. Using this it's a easy to see how much fuel you are really using and it a good way to log your trips and see your mileage. The downside is that you need to physically connect your phone in the car and then take screen shots of the app data and compare them later by looking at different photos. It would be great to have this info available on a web browser and ideally an ongoing log. Seems very odd that I can only grab the info when connecting in the car. Coming from a Volt I was able to see much more data with the Voltstats website which pulled data from OnStar - after giving it permission. I wonder if BMW aggregates the data and can share with the owners. Even the Connected website only offers your most recent trip data, which is unfortunate.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:18 AM

X5 40e MPG update -

One month since I filled up with gas (9/10). I've driven 830 miles since then and still have 1/2 a tank of fuel left. Charge at work and charge at home - 20 miles commute each way. Hoping for 1500 miles to this first tank of gas and maybe get gas every two months?!! Just passed 2000 miles total.

My best commute so far.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4617 (1).jpg
Views:	131
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	578767  

Last edited by X5_XPRESS; 10-11-2016 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
X5 40e MPG update -

...maybe get gas every two months?!!
OMG, so funny! Nice work. Infinite mileage. Priceless.

Don't forget, unstabilized gas goes bad after like 90 days. LOL. I can't even believe that's a serious problem in a BMW.

You're proving one of my earlier points, though. I'd like to see >4.0 kW charging, a 30% smaller gas tank, and about 15% more electric range in the next version. I think this vehicle has a bit more gas tank than it really needs. I'd prefer maybe another 50-ish lbs be battery rather than gas.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
OMG, so funny! Nice work. Infinite mileage. Priceless.

Don't forget, unstabilized gas goes bad after like 90 days. LOL. I can't even believe that's a serious problem in a BMW.

You're proving one of my earlier points, though. I'd like to see >4.0 kW charging, a 30% smaller gas tank, and about 15% more electric range in the next version. I think this vehicle has a bit more gas tank than it really needs. I'd prefer maybe another 50-ish lbs be battery rather than gas.
Agreed - I really wanted to see a faster charge option for 2017 but it didn't happen. The Cayenne SEH has a 7.2kWh option (at $800) and that would be ideal for quick trips and around town stuff. I'm sure we'll see some major battery improvements with the next gen in two years - which is one reason why I leased.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
Hey XPRESS and other NorCal 40e folks, did you guys take advantage of any rebates out there to offset the cost of your L2 charger? Which ones if so? I'm getting ready to have one installed myself.

Last edited by Super Canary; 10-16-2016 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:47 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw 535i
Quote:

***65312;XPRESS I had same commute distance (19 miles) besides a bridge, its all flat....can you please share your settings/practice for your commute to get the 180+mpg?
Old 11-01-2016, 10:39 PM

Mein Auto: E61,F10 530xd, E39 525D
x4 40e Winter time

Hi guys.
Do you have any experiences with X5 40e during winter time ? When temperature drop below 0 Celsius? I've heard , that cars with batteries ( like Tesla ) have big troubles during winter. Battery capacity could drop below 50% of original capacity, when it is cold .
Does it mean , that X5 will be able to drive only 10miles even if it is fully charged ?
I am living in Slovakia ( Central Europe ), where average temperature during winter is below 0 Celsius . What about auxiliary heater? Is it electric one ? How much energy it need for heating during winter ? Is it significant ? Let say if there is -10 C outside , how many miles I can drive only in electric mode ( I know, that it is possible to preheat , if it is connected to power ). But I want to know, how it is without preheating . Actually, I have seen many reviews about this car, but they never mention driving during winter.
I tried this car at BMW dealer and it is really good car. Actually I have F10 530xd, but I am using it mostly in city traffic, what is not good for this engine, especially during winter.
Thanks
Old 11-04-2016, 02:26 PM

Just filled up my 2016 X5 40e with gas.

Last fill up was 8 weeks and 1680 miles ago.

Averaged 76MPG on this past tank of gas. Not bad for a 5000 lb 4wd SUV.

Funny how my Total Range is now taking my driving history into account.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	c3185e2c-4fc5-4c48-bf63-e253acc6c362.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	581030   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4829.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	581032  

Last edited by X5_XPRESS; 11-04-2016 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregzou View Post
***65312;XPRESS I had same commute distance (19 miles) besides a bridge, its all flat....can you please share your settings/practice for your commute to get the 180+mpg?
Always Eco Pro (EP)

1) SAVE BATT/EcoPro leaving my house (uphill for 1/2 mile).
2) Max-eDrive/EP for next 3 miles. (30 mph)
3) Auto eDrive/EP when getting on freeway for a 1/2 mile uphill. (65 mph)
4) Max-eDrive/EP rest of trip. (16 miles @ 65-70 mph)

No climate control turned on at this point.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Note: my car does not have the start-stop override button, although there's a cutout for it. I assume that's true of all 40e variants.
Update: This is easy, although not particularly obvious. Just slapping the automanual shifter to the left (i.e., into M1) while you're sitting at a red light is tantamount to "engine start-stop override" on the gas-only variants. As soon as you slap the shifter to the left, it wakes up the gas engine. When you accelerate, it instantly unleashes both sources of power. There's the usual turbo lag, of course, but the battery helps mask it. With the windows down, you can hear the turbo spool up.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 X5 Xdrive40e
Quote:
Just filled up my 2016 X5 40e with gas.

Last fill up was 8 weeks and 1680 miles ago.

Averaged 76MPG on this past tank of gas. Not bad for a 5000 lb 4wd SUV.

Funny how my Total Range is now taking my driving history into account.
Hah, that's great! How long does it take for you to charge at work?
Old 11-08-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphipri0n View Post
Hah, that's great! How long does it take for you to charge at work?
A little more than 2.5 hours from a drained battery (a little more than 8 kWh each day at work)

Typical charge cycle - Tops out at about 3.22 kW and tapers at end of charge. I had maybe 10% left when plugging in today (Chargepoint)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	charge times.png
Views:	80
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	581331   Click image for larger version

Name:	X5  charge time.png
Views:	80
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	581338  

Last edited by X5_XPRESS; 11-08-2016 at 12:47 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 F15 (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search