40e unique best practices? - Page 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 F15 (2014 - Current)

X5 F15 (2014 - Current)
The all new F15 BMW X5 started production August 2013 as a 2014 model year. The new X5 arrives in sDrive35i (RWD), xDrive35i, xDrive50i and a diesel xDrive 35d.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F15 40e 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyinacar View Post
  • Both the departure time feature and the BMW smart phone app will use "shore power" to run A/C or heat electrically. So get in the habit of asking for remote climate control 10 minutes before you intend to unplug and drive. This increases range, fuel economy, and comfort.
I posted a separate thread for this, but wanted to get your opinion. I`m using level 1 charger and its set to reduced (middle one). I set the departure time to 8am and today was first time charging over night. I checked when I woke up and the app showed 100%, when we left the house around 8:05am, the heat was on in the car (very hot) and the battery was down to 82%... Is this normal ? Am I doing something wrong ??
Old 11-14-2016, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto: 40e
Quote:
Originally Posted by yozh View Post
I posted a separate thread for this, but wanted to get your opinion. I`m using level 1 charger and its set to reduced (middle one). I set the departure time to 8am and today was first time charging over night. I checked when I woke up and the app showed 100%, when we left the house around 8:05am, the heat was on in the car (very hot) and the battery was down to 82%... Is this normal ? Am I doing something wrong ??
Yes, it's normal. Imagine pre-heating your car with a hair dryer. How many minutes until the thermal mass is warmed up? Suggest trying to set the departure time to 5:45am and experiment a little.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Yes, it's normal. Imagine pre-heating your car with a hair dryer. How many minutes until the thermal mass is warmed up? Suggest trying to set the departure time to 5:45am and experiment a little.
Got it. I tought it would use the connected power to run CC. Will start experimenting.

So far Im impressed, but on high speed on highways I feel some vibrations, its not all the time, but I do feel it. I wonder if tires PSI is too high.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: E90 M3; '12 X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
I currently have a low mileage '12 model X5d and you can see my average fuel economy in my Fuelly signature below.

Some background...
  • Since I work from home, my primary use is long trips of over 3 hours each way (beach, mountains, etc).
  • I was an early adopter for hybrid technology so have owned Hybrid's for the past 12 years (Highlander SUV and currently a '14 Lexus ESh300).
  • The Highlander did OK in the snow but we heard that others had issues with traction due to the FACT that the Toyota Hybrid drive was not a "true" 4x4 in that the rear traction was 100% electric only so others got stuck when their front wheels ran into traction control limitations.
  • Over 50% of our use of this vehicle will be in deep West Virginia snow (skiing)

CONCERNS
  • The fact that this is only a 4 cylinder causes me concern for getting up and down the steep, twisty mountain roads. I know that electric engines have torque (at low speeds) from the prior HiHy but the ski trips are 40-60MPH pulls up long winding mountain roads where the ample Diesel torque shines.
  • Other threads state that long distance makes more sense to stay with Diesel as the fuel economy for the 40e is not as good as the Diesel for those longer periods. New Diesel's have 8-speed so more fuel efficient than my 6-speed '12.
hey, I'm also in a similar boat as you here as a E70 35d owner. I've done extensive research on the best PHEV SUVs today. The F15 X5 certainly is a great car. But if you don't mind saving a bit more money and waiting until spring/summer, you can get a used 2015 Porsche Cayenne S E-Hybrid for about $50k-$55k then. That car has a 333 HP audi supercharged I6 and a 10.8 kwh battery (8.6 kwh) of it chargeable, on a 7-speed ZF. I've driven it and it's a phenomenal PHEV, and has the full Porsche driving experience on top of it.

If you can't wait, a good competitor is the current Volvo XC90 T8. You can get a nicely equipped low mileage one for $55k today with no haggle (same as a 40e). The Volvo has a 9.2 kwh battery (not sure how much of it chargable), similar to that of the X5 40e, but has more combined system horsepower at 400.

All in all, all three cars have similar EV-only range and similar manners to control for best MPG. I would say, for long distance travel, you're better off with the Porsche due to it's I6 motor. Over long distances, you'll be able to regen some power through "sailing" (transmission decoupling) and brake regen before your final urban commute. Expect about 30 MPGs of gasoline use on long distance highway-only cruising.

If it's HP you need, you're better off with the Volvo or the Porsche. I think in 2018 or 2019, we'll change our E70 X5d for likely the Porsche. There's a chance we may do the Volvo, it actually was able to obtain California single occupancy HOV status.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 11-14-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:45 AM

So the 5:45am departure time seems to be good. Walked out to a 99% charged car at 8:05am, so thats good.

But Im noticing that electric range is pretty low, at least today. The app does say 17 miles when fully charged, but I drove 2.5 miles today and it went from 99% to 66%. Which by my calculations is only half of estimated, maybe around 7.5 ? I drove on max edrive and eco pro. This are all city miles, a lot of stop signs/red lights and mostly flat roads.

Is my battery ok ? Or is it my driving ? Sorry for all the questions, this is my first hybrid so still learning. As always any help is appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5417.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	581925   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5418.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	581926  
Old 11-15-2016, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
If it's HP you need, you're better off with the Volvo or the Porsche. I think in 2018 or 2019, we'll change our E70 X5d for likely the Porsche.
Just pay attention to towing capacities, if you care. They are rather different. Generally speaking, VW/Audi/Porsche put the towing heft into their VW siblings, making suspension-tuning choices that are better for unladen driving in the higher-end brands. The Volvo pulls 5k. Both the 40e and 35d variants pull 6k. The 40e has rear air, too.

Other than that, I like your analysis. Mine was similar.

Last edited by guyinacar; 11-15-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:39 AM

Mein Auto: E90 M3; '12 X5 Diesel
Quote:
Just pay attention to towing capacities, if you care. They are materially different. Generally speaking, VW/Audi/Porsche put the towing heft into their VW siblings, making suspension-tuning choices that are better for unladen driving in the higher-end cars. The Volvo pulls 5k. Both the 40e and 35d variants pull 6k. The 40e has rear air, too.

Other than that, I like your analysis. Mine was similar.
Any particular reasons why you chose the 40e btw? I like to get other owners take on it. There actually aren't many owners of the Cayenne SEH and Volvo T8 online to confine with.

Was it because for the price and timing, the 40e was the best choice, in addition to your need for mostly urban driving?

I think what ndabunka was getting asking about was just overall mountain driving and cars with proper AWD systems, and not towing capacity. IMO, the T8 has the funkiest AWD system as the electrical motors drive the rear wheels. The Cayenne offers the base AWD system as in all other Cayennes, the electrical system is simply used as a power boost. I'm not sure how the 40e's xdrive system works, whether the electrical power is just a supplement or it's used to drive a specific axel.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 11-15-2016 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Any particular reasons why you chose the 40e btw?

I'm not sure how the 40e's xdrive system works, whether the electrical power is just a supplement or it's used to drive a specific axel.
Many. Dogs, torque, towing, and infinite range among them.

The electric motor is embedded right within the tranny:

https://www.zf.com/corporate/en_de/magazine/magazin_artikel_viewpage_22065960.html
Old 11-15-2016, 02:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 X5 40e
I choose the 40e over Porsche SEH because of the interior size and attractive lease rates. I drove the SEH and there didn't seem to be a way to 'lock' it into Electric only mode. I needed to carefully modulate the gas pedal. Unless I had the wrong mode selected it was annoying. I'm hoping they take the new Panamera battery and put it in the refreshed Cayenne when it come out.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:01 PM

Quote:
I drove 2.5 miles today and it went from 99% to 66%. Which by my calculations is only half of estimated, maybe around 7.5 ? I drove on max edrive and eco pro. This are all city miles, a lot of stop signs/red lights and mostly flat roads.

Is my battery ok ? Or is it my driving ? Sorry for all the questions, this is my first hybrid so still learning. As always any help is appreciated!
Glad that "shore power" worked!

That doesn't sound terrible for a lot of stop-go. But read the comments on "dragging" brakes above. You could probably do better.

You don't really have to force Max_eDrive with a full battery. It's the default, first. So as a learning exercise, maybe see if you can accelerate in default modes while keeping the tach at zero (when traffic permits).

The point of a BMW isn't to go slowly. So, yeah, don't flame me. But sometimes there's just a bus full of nuns rolling up to a turtle crossing, and you might as well have the knack for saving juice.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 X5 xDrive 40e PHEV
Quote:
IMO, the T8 has the funkiest AWD system as the electrical motors drive the rear wheels. The Cayenne offers the base AWD system as in all other Cayennes, the electrical system is simply used as a power boost. I'm not sure how the 40e's xdrive system works, whether the electrical power is just a supplement or it's used to drive a specific axel.
BMW's system for the X5 40e, 330e, 740e and soon arriving 530e are all the same parallel hybrid drivetrain. Simplified version: they take an automatic drivetrain and replace the torque converter with a pancake electric motor w/ a bunch of clutches. So it goes: ICE>electric motor>8 speed transmission>AWD differentials>wheels. So the electric motor alone can motivate the car through the tranny and AWD. The ICE alone can motivate the car. The ICE and the electric motor together can motivate the car. The battery can be charged by the ICE turning the motor, acting as a generator. The battery can be charged by regenerative braking by the wheels turning the motor.

Porsche's parallel hybrid drivetrain system works similarly. I would not be surprised if it were identical. The Germans love to liberally borrow from one another.

The Swedes, never content to copy, have 2 electric motors. One in front between the ICE and the transmission which only drives the front wheels, and a bigger motor which directly drives the rear wheels. Hence, the Volvo can exhibit some FWD handling characteristics.

I liked the BMW because it seemed the best overall mix of technology, driveability, design, and luxury. I have a 911, and after hearing horror stories from friends about Cayennes, I decided that reliability would be important for a family SUV. Plus IMHO it looks like a bug. T8 is brand new and there are some stories about failed hybrid systems. Also, their AWD drivetrain seemed a little FWD biased for my taste.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Glad that "shore power" worked!

That doesn't sound terrible for a lot of stop-go. But read the comments on "dragging" brakes above. You could probably do better.

You don't really have to force Max_eDrive with a full battery. It's the default, first. So as a learning exercise, maybe see if you can accelerate in default modes while keeping the tach at zero (when traffic permits).

The point of a BMW isn't to go slowly. So, yeah, don't flame me. But sometimes there's just a bus full of nuns rolling up to a turtle crossing, and you might as well have the knack for saving juice.
Yeah, experimenting today same drive down to 70%... I guess I need time to figure this out, my first hybrid after all...

On the other hand I started doing calculations on electricity use vs buying gas. By my calculations it`ll cost me about $65-$80 a month to just charge over night. In NY LI our overall price for the electricity is about 20-22 cents. The car uses about 1200 Watts for about 9-11 hours per day..... So with this numbers I`m not sure if it even makes sense for me to charge at night, or just do auto and let it recharge as I drive... Maybe do 1 month and see.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
On the other hand I started doing calculations on electricity use vs buying gas. By my calculations it`ll cost me about $65-$80 a month to just charge over night. In NY LI our overall price for the electricity is about 20-22 cents. The car uses about 1200 Watts for about 9-11 hours per day.
Where are you getting this data from?

I use a JuiceBox w/ app which gives me actual charging data. From depleted battery (~ 5-9%, the battery never really reaches 0%) to 100% overnight recharge takes about 8-9 kWh over around 2.5-3 hours (including half hour of preconditioning).

I've only had the car a few weeks so I don't have any monthly data. But the recharge energy needed is pretty consistent.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashmonkey View Post
Where are you getting this data from?

I use a JuiceBox w/ app which gives me actual charging data. From depleted battery (~ 5-9%, the battery never really reaches 0%) to 100% overnight recharge takes about 8-9 kWh over around 2.5-3 hours (including half hour of preconditioning).

I've only had the car a few weeks so I don't have any monthly data. But the recharge energy needed is pretty consistent.
I`m using Level 1 charger that came with the car. I use whole house electrical monitoring and it consistently shows me 1.1-1.2 K above what I usually have, I also used wemo insignt to get live reading and it shows 1.1-1.2 as well. Looking at the graphs and what books say its about 9-11 hours to charge on reduced with conditioning... Where I would use about 3kWh in 3 hours, you use about 9kWh in that same time.

So in 10 hours for me it`ll be around 12kWh, so 12kWh x .22 = $2.64 x 30 = $79.2 ...
Old 11-16-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I`m using Level 1 charger that came with the car. I use whole house electrical monitoring and it consistently shows me 1.1-1.2 K above what I usually have, I also used wemo insignt to get live reading and it shows 1.1-1.2 as well. Looking at the graphs and what books say its about 9-11 hours to charge on reduced with conditioning... Where I would use about 3kWh in 3 hours, you use about 9kWh in that same time.

So in 10 hours for me it`ll be around 12kWh, so 12kWh x .22 = $2.64 x 30 = $79.2 ...
12 kWh vs. 9 kWh is a big difference. Does the Wemo give the total energy consumption by the EVSE or is the 12kWh a calculated consumption? The power usage is not exactly linear throughout the charging cycle. As the battery approaches 100% (which is not really 100% of the actual battery capacity) the current draw drops off. Check out this charging graph. At around 6:30 am is when preconditioning starts.

BTW, if you are a data nerd, I recommend a JuiceBox Pro 40A. I wish the BMW app had this. e.g. I give it my cost of electric and gas and mpg and Wh/mile and it can tell me that I've saved $0.29 in the last 1 hour of charging 3.27 kWh. In the last few weeks I've used 358 kWh and saved $32.22.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Charging.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	582079  

Last edited by smashmonkey; 11-16-2016 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:59 AM

Quote:
12 kWh vs. 9 kWh is a big difference. Does the Wemo give the total energy consumption by the EVSE or is the 12kWh a calculated consumption? The power usage is not exactly linear throughout the charging cycle. As the battery approaches 100% (which is not really 100% of the actual battery capacity) the current draw drops off. Check out this charging graph. At around 6:30 am is when preconditioning starts.

BTW, if you are a data nerd, I recommend a JuiceBox Pro 40A. I wish the BMW app had this. e.g. I give it my cost of electric and gas and mpg and Wh/mile and it can tell me that I've saved $0.29 in the last 1 hour of charging 3.27 kWh. In the last few weeks I've used 358 kWh and saved $32.22.
Hey,

Yes, Im a data nerd and not a good one, just like the graphs

I dont know if I want to spend more money on charging. I think I can do better with just auto driving.

So even if its not 11 hours(which it looks like it is with conditioning). Lets say 9 hours with 1kWh, thats still 55$ a month, now this is for driving about 5-8 miles a day just electric, about 240 miles a month (counting weekends) if economy is about 18mpg (avg) then with gas prices of $3 I should spend only about $40 in gas. Am I way off here ?
Old 11-17-2016, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Am I way off here ?
Your math is not "way off," no. Another way of looking at that is to model the price of electricity versus the price of gas. Right now, they're about a wash... with a LOT of regional variations. Nevertheless, I think you're likely to enjoy the car a lot more, if you plug in whenever the opportunity presents. Let's try it, yes? Do a simple experiment. Plug in whenever the opportunity presents for two weeks. Then never plug it in for two weeks. Report your findings back here, please.

I don't have to try this, because my work takes me to No-plug-land pretty regularly. It's one reason I bought this particular car.

Last edited by guyinacar; 11-17-2016 at 06:40 AM.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Your math is not "way off," no. Another way of looking at that is to model the price of electricity versus the price of gas. Right now, they're about a wash... with a LOT of regional variations. Nevertheless, I think you're likely to enjoy the car a lot more, if you plug in whenever the opportunity presents. Let's try it, yes? Do a simple experiment. Plug in whenever the opportunity presents for two weeks. Then never plug it in for two weeks. Report your findings back here, please.

I don't have to try this, because my work takes me to No-plug-land pretty regularly. It's one reason I bought this particular car.
I think I will try just that.... Just to mention, my plugin options are pretty limited to home.

Today I tried to drive with out charging over night and the consumption is showing 19.6 (27% electric).
Old 11-17-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
In NY LI our overall price for the electricity is about 20-22 cents. . . So with this numbers I`m not sure if it even makes sense for me to charge at night, or just do auto and let it recharge as I drive... Maybe do 1 month and see.
So I plugged in some of your numbers into my app. Hypothetically if I were your neighbor in LI at:
$0.22/kWh electric
$2.80/gallon premium gas

my X5 is averaging 32 mpg and 323 Wh/mile

I would save ~$18 over 3 weeks. That's enough to go to the movies - ALONE

Projecting maybe saving approx $300/year. Not exactly stellar, just barely in the black, but better than being in the red.

Last edited by smashmonkey; 11-17-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
So I plugged in some of your numbers into my app. Hypothetically if I were your neighbor in LI at:
$0.22/kWh electric
$2.80/gallon premium gas

Projecting maybe saving approx $300/year. Not exactly stellar, just barely in the black, but better than being in the red.
What app is that ? I`m using actual numbers that I see based on few days of driving and too me it looks like gas will actually be cheaper... You have to consider when you driving on electric only... I think if I still charge at night, but dont do electric only, leave it on auto, it might make sense, maybe... This is if the battery doesnt drain down all the way....

Also how do you get the Wh/mile ? Is that one of the options on the left (where it shows actually % and all) ?
Old 11-17-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
$0.22/kWh electric
$2.80/gallon premium gas

eMotorWerks.com, manufacturers of JuiceBox, have a smartphone app and online app that takes the telemetry from the EVSE and does the calculations based on mileage information I enter from the X5 and local gas and electric rates.

X5 gives me mpg and miles/kWh data, the app wants Wh/mile so I just convert it.

As Guyinacar pointed out, it's really close to breakeven depending on the price of gas and electricity. That's what I meant when I said that there is a big difference between 12 kWh or 9 kWh to fully charge the battery. It's the difference between being slightly in the black vs. slightly in the red.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:56 AM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Quote:
hey, I'm also in a similar boat as you here as a E70 35d owner. I've done extensive research on the best PHEV SUVs today. The F15 X5 certainly is a great car. But if you don't mind saving a bit more money and waiting until spring/summer, you can get a used 2015 Porsche Cayenne S E-Hybrid for about $50k-$55k then. That car has a 333 HP audi supercharged I6 and a 10.8 kwh battery (8.6 kwh) of it chargeable, on a 7-speed ZF. I've driven it and it's a phenomenal PHEV, and has the full Porsche driving experience on top of it.

If you can't wait, a good competitor is the current Volvo XC90 T8. You can get a nicely equipped low mileage one for $55k today with no haggle (same as a 40e). The Volvo has a 9.2 kwh battery (not sure how much of it chargable), similar to that of the X5 40e, but has more combined system horsepower at 400.

All in all, all three cars have similar EV-only range and similar manners to control for best MPG. I would say, for long distance travel, you're better off with the Porsche due to it's I6 motor. Over long distances, you'll be able to regen some power through "sailing" (transmission decoupling) and brake regen before your final urban commute. Expect about 30 MPGs of gasoline use on long distance highway-only cruising.

If it's HP you need, you're better off with the Volvo or the Porsche. I think in 2018 or 2019, we'll change our E70 X5d for likely the Porsche. There's a chance we may do the Volvo, it actually was able to obtain California single occupancy HOV status.
Thanks for the reply. The one thing I really DO need to understand on these is... WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU ARE OUT OF CHARGE?

With no electric motor Hybrid assitance, WHAT is the 4 cylinder's horsepower/torque ratings with no electric assistance?

This is important to me as I drive up a mountain for ...HOURS so if the battery-assisted power only last for a brief 18 miles... what happens the rest of the way? I am a bit skeptical of the ablities of the 4-banger to drag a 5,500 lb SUV loaded up with anoter 1,000 lbs of gear and passengers up a 7% incline in sub zero weather...

Can any of the current owners on this thread tell me how this may have affected them?

PS - We have been Hybrid drivers for over 11 years now (8 years of a Toyota Highlander Hybrid and now 3 years with my wife's Lexus 300h) so I am VERY familiar with re-gen and unfortunately, there would be little to no regen opportunities on many of our rides up the mountain because we literally DO go pretty much ALL uphill for over an hour at a time numerous times on our 5.5 hour journey's from Charlotte, NC to Snowshoe, WV

I did take the HiHy up a number of times but it was not a plug in and it used the same 6 cylinder engine that was in the non- HiHy version. That particular Hybrid was not rechargable so all of it's charge and discharge came from the road itself and I was able to manipulate it enough that it normally had some charge but at certain points in the ride, it to was not able to use any battery and ended up running solely on it's 6 cylinder engine which did OK

PS - Found answer in following threaf
"Reload this Page 40e acceleration with depleted battery? "

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch

Last edited by ndabunka; 11-19-2016 at 01:28 AM.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
guyinacar, others,

I am about to start using my wife's 40e for my commute, which is about 35 miles each way, up and over a hill with a spot or two of slow traffic. I cannot charge at work.

What's the best combination I can use to maximize my mileage? I'd love to average in the 30s if possible. Eco Pro with auto eDrive? Or some combination to get me there using most of the electric and just eco pro the whole way back? Any advice appreciated. i will report back.
1990 325i 5 Speed Sedan (one of my favorite cars)
1969 Mercedes 280 SL - White with red interior
2007 Toyota RAV4 Limited
2003 325i Sedan
2016 328i Sedan
2016 X5 40e
Old 11-20-2016, 06:33 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Canary View Post
I am about to start using my wife's 40e for my commute...
Because, y'know, she's using the other vehicle to tow "her" bass boat? Seems like you got a pretty good deal there!

Quote:

What's the best combination I can use to maximize my mileage?
Let's start here: safety is more important than mileage. I don't like to use the EcoPro + Max_eDrive together, except w/ ACC in bumper-to-bumper, stop-and-go. The first time you try to merge in that combo, you'll understand. It's alarmingly slow, and stomping on the accelerator in a panic doesn't override your choice (hint, hint, BMW engineering...) That's your best mileage play, but I don't often use it.

Next, 70 miles is **way** outside the EV range of this car. Yours is not even a marginal case. You are far beyond the electric range of this vehicle. So I'd probably just run at defaults up and over that hill, and then press the Save_[Battery] option on the way down the hill to work. Depending on braking, you'll land around 50% full at work. Then maybe Auto + Save_[Battery] uphill on the way back, followed by defaults on the way down.

You'll land roughly dead in your garage, which is good.

Quote:
I'd love to average in the 30s.
That's not likely, with zero charging at the far end. My guess is ~29, similar to a diesel.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, my other car is a new 328i. I leased the X5 for her, caught the bug, and leased the 3 for me. But we got 12k miles on each. My commute is 16k miles/year, hers is 6ish. So I gotta use the X5 a bit to balance things out. We plan to switch off every tank of gas for a year to see what that does.

So I guess I'll take 29 if I can get it. I'll report back.

Incidentally, I use Eco Pro on the 328 and get around 35 to 37 mpg. But even in Comfort, I get in the low 30s so not sure it's worth it.
1990 325i 5 Speed Sedan (one of my favorite cars)
1969 Mercedes 280 SL - White with red interior
2007 Toyota RAV4 Limited
2003 325i Sedan
2016 328i Sedan
2016 X5 40e

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 F15 (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search