40e unique best practices? - Page 5 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 F15 (2014 - Current)

X5 F15 (2014 - Current)
The all new F15 BMW X5 started production August 2013 as a 2014 model year. The new X5 arrives in sDrive35i (RWD), xDrive35i, xDrive50i and a diesel xDrive 35d.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F15 40e 16
So I have been driving my 40e since Nov 11th and did about a week with charging over night and the rest with out. Most of my traveling is local, lots of stop signs, lights, turns etc... charging the car is more expensive for me then filling it up. I still seem to save money over my 2013 35i, but its not huge savings. Unless gas prices go up drastically or I can get to charge for free, I doubt I will be charging at home. Anyway it was a good lease deal and I still save money, but full potential of plugin is lost in my case.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:20 PM

Mein Auto: Infiniti QX70
I would agree. The people who are going to get the best use of this are folks who can charge at home, commute to work, charge there, drive home, repeat. I do charge every night but a lot of driving for work so I end up on the road quite a bit without capabilities to charge. I would say I am getting about 25 mpg all in.

The other thing I am looking to do that would help will be to upgrade to 240v at home. That should make it much more appealing to use in the weekend. That would allow me to charge between errands, kids games, etc and not use much gas on the weekend at all.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:46 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyinacar View Post
Many. Dogs, torque, towing, and infinite range among them.

The electric motor is embedded right within the tranny:

https://www.zf.com/corporate/en_de/m..._22065960.html

Hi all, I'm in Ireland, using a 40e for about 7/8 months now- drove all the outlanders / Volvo t8 / BMW 330e/ Lexus and the smaller VW phev a before buying . I'd recommend you do the same to decide what type of e-drive you prefer. Some use cvt, others use parallel hybrid ( like volt ) some use e- motor in transmission instead of torque converter . The BMW uses the electric motor in the transmission - it has a number of serious advantages 1. Less vibration when swapping between power source ( it's actually hard to tell unless you look at rpm' gauge what you are using ) 2. Regen is far better through transmission . 3. The torque of the engine is genuinely helped by the electric motor. In a dual motor system there is an extra push given by the electric motor, in the BMW the electric motor is in the tranny so it pulls the engine up to speed far quicker - the BMW is very very fast - from 60km/h to 180km/h takes only a few seconds. 4. Regen - this is crucial - the regen of some cars comes from braking and this is hard on brakes discs (rotors ) and pads , noisy and causes vibration at low speed. Having the motor in the transmission , the BMW regens and brakes by applying electric frictionless resistance- this is far more efficient and reduces wear . 4. Fuel tanks - the BMW X5 has a full size fuel tank - great for long journeys . Most phev / hybrids only carry 45-50 litres, on a long journey this is annoying . 5. Performance vs economy - the Volvo is a super machine very comfortable and huge interior - but it's a cruiser . Forget about the 400 hp, you won't use it because the car handles like a hovercraft . But driving smoothly with minimal effort is what the Volvo does best and it's an excellent family car . Golf gte and BMW I-performance are drivers cars from start to finish and they are fun to drive fast . But they are vicious through corners and accelerating and braking is so hard even my kids ( who race karts ) say it's too much for them and they feel sick !

I do about 1,300 km per week in my x5, long journeys are great - not as efficient as city driving but no less efficient than a diesel 3.0d but there is no engine drone noise, loads of torque and when you find a few twisty roads you can have super car fun - but - when you drive the x5 very hard for long periods you also get supercar fuel consumption- have had my x5 up as high as 65 euro mpg and down as low as 11.5 euro mpg depending on what messing I'm doing .

If getting an x5 spec up the seats , I've the comfort seats and they are a must have .

Hope this helps
Old 12-15-2016, 03:24 AM

Mein Auto: E61,F10 530xd, E39 525D
Quote:
Originally Posted by yozh View Post
So I have been driving my 40e since Nov 11th and did about a week with charging over night and the rest with out. Most of my traveling is local, lots of stop signs, lights, turns etc... charging the car is more expensive for me then filling it up. I still seem to save money over my 2013 35i, but its not huge savings. Unless gas prices go up drastically or I can get to charge for free, I doubt I will be charging at home. Anyway it was a good lease deal and I still save money, but full potential of plugin is lost in my case.
That sounds strange.
I am living in Slovakia in EU.
1 liter of diesel costs 1.1 Euro. My F10 3.0D uses 8 l per 100km ( X5 shoul be similar consuption) . So it is 8.8 Euro per 100km. 0.088 per km.
1kWh costs 0.13 Euro. For full charge it is 1.17 ( 9kwh ). Multiply by 3.3 ( because I should be enough for 30km ) I am getting 3.86 Eur per 100km. So it is 0.0386 per km.
Even if I will say, that there are some energy loosing during charging, it is still half price comparing to diesel. For petrol it will be even worse ( more expensive petrol, bigger consuption ).
We have more expensive gas over here , and looks like much cheaper electricity for now.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oseldusan View Post
That sounds strange.
I am living in Slovakia in EU.
1 liter of diesel costs 1.1 Euro. My F10 3.0D uses 8 l per 100km ( X5 shoul be similar consuption) . So it is 8.8 Euro per 100km. 0.088 per km.
1kWh costs 0.13 Euro. For full charge it is 1.17 ( 9kwh ). Multiply by 3.3 ( because I should be enough for 30km ) I am getting 3.86 Eur per 100km. So it is 0.0386 per km.
Even if I will say, that there are some energy loosing during charging, it is still half price comparing to diesel. For petrol it will be even worse ( more expensive petrol, bigger consuption ).
We have more expensive gas over here , and looks like much cheaper electricity for now.
If you truly get 30km then you are very lucky, driving just electric, with my commute I get 10-11 miles maybe. With cold now, I think Im getting 7-9 miles.At 21 cents per kWh for 9kWn is $1.89, so for average lets say 10 miles per charge(which is high), gas is about $2.59 per gallon here, with average economy of 16 (which is low).

Mile per mile, its 19 cents on electric vs 16-17 cents on gas...
Old 12-17-2016, 02:09 AM

Quote:
If you truly get 30km then you are very lucky, driving just electric, with my commute I get 10-11 miles maybe. With cold now, I think Im getting 7-9 miles.At 21 cents per kWh for 9kWn is $1.89, so for average lets say 10 miles per charge(which is high), gas is about $2.59 per gallon here, with average economy of 16 (which is low).

Hi all .
How much it will drive on batteries in cold weather ? That was my question few posts ago. But no answear.
Yozh> What does it mean cold now for you ? Is it minus 10 C ?
We have around -10C over here right now. Yesterday I drove 150km . Over hills. Even in this bad weather my old 525D E39 use only 5.5 l per 100km. Bit it is "only" 1800kg , manual transmission, rear wheel drive. My new F10 530XD , automat needs 8.5 L. Terrible.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:13 AM

Quote:

Yozh> 10-11 miles on electric power is around half , what you should get. It should be around 19. Guys on most forums are writing , that they are getting around 19 miles. Thats sounds really strange.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oseldusan View Post
Yozh> 10-11 miles on electric power is around half , what you should get. It should be around 19. Guys on most forums are writing , that they are getting around 19 miles. Thats sounds really strange.
Its rated for 14 miles, the most with heat on and stop and go local traffic in about 25-35F weather is 10 miles and thats probably way too much too... You think something is wrong with my battery ? It seems to be fine. Can you point me where people are saying 19 miles ?
Old 12-17-2016, 06:32 AM

Mein Auto: 40e
Did you preheat automatically on "shore power"? If not, then you'd be heating your car while you drive with, in effect, a battery-powered hair dryer.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:10 AM

Yes, but again electricy use is even more with preconditioning.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: X5 xDrive 40e
Is it a good idea to start the petrol engine to warm it up before driving in the morning or after a long stop?
Old 12-20-2016, 08:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 X5 xDrive 40e PHEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamss View Post
Is it a good idea to start the petrol engine to warm it up before driving in the morning or after a long stop?
It kind of depends on your driving situation.

When I drove off this morning it was -10C and sometimes I have to floor the accelerator to make the turn onto the main road. I also own the X5 and tend to keep my cars over 10 years and 200,000+ km. So in the interests of self and car preservation I run the ICE right from start up until I hit traffic. I don't idle in the garage, that doesn't really warm up the ICE, I start the ICE and drive.

You are in a warmer climate so your oil is not as viscous as mine in the morning. And if you're only leasing the car for 3 years while it's still under warranty, and if you don't need to suddenly punch the throttle, warming up the ICE might not be such a big deal for you. But it can't hurt to get the ICE fluids warm and flowing to reduce wear and tear.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:10 PM

Makes sense. I guess old paradigms need to be shifted. I'm still freaked out by the fact that there is no "break-in" or "running-in" and no first 1,000 mile oil change.

Last edited by shamss; 12-21-2016 at 05:00 AM.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:16 AM

I guess in mpg the number is infiniti mpg :-D
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1482326101148.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	584919  
Old 12-21-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
OMG, so funny! Nice work. Infinite mileage. Priceless.

Don't forget, unstabilized gas goes bad after like 90 days. LOL. I can't even believe that's a serious problem in a BMW.
(yes, I'm responding to my own post, from months ago). LOL.

This might not be a real problem, after all. The 40e has a little extra button, down by the driver's left ankle. It was the last thing they showed me at the dealer, before I pulled off the lot. The "genius' laughed and said: "Oh, hey, I almost forgot... you have to push this little button here in order to fill the tank." It's unique to the 40e model, he said. "If you don't push this first, you won't be able to open the fuel filler door at all.

Never thought about it again. Obviously, I use it all the time. But I never thought about what it does.

Well, a couple weeks back, a friend with the i3 range extender model (the one with a gas engine in addition to just the battery pack) told me that he also has the little button. "And," sez he, "everybody with an i3 knows that it's to depressurize the tank before refueling, because the i3 REX is designed so the gas doesn't go bad in the tank, since you use so little of it."

So I'm not sure what sort of engineering went into it, but maybe the gas doesn't really go "off" while it's in the vehicle as quickly as it would sitting in a lawn mower?

Last edited by guyinacar; 12-21-2016 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:26 PM

Gas goes stale like biscuits. It also evaporates. This raises the question over the X5's big 85 litre tank vs other hybrids 40 to 50 litres. Now, I'm wondering whether it's a good idea not to carry too much gas around, ie, to only fill enough instead of fill-up "just in case".
Old 12-21-2016, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 X5 xDrive 40e PHEV
Fuel goes bad and turns to varnish from oxidation, evaporation and contamination (water).

I refuel the X5 every 2-3 weeks when the tank is about half to a quarter full. Not long enough to worry about gas going stale. Mixing in fresh gas and keeping the tank full to reduce air space maybe helps slow down oxidation. Not sure what the tank pressure system does. Maybe maintains a negative pressure to reduce oxygen?

In my other cars, generators and snowblower that have gas sitting in the tank for months/years at a time I use Sta-Bil or some other fuel stabilizer. I've had gas sitting for 2 years with no problems.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:11 PM

I wouldn't be half surprised if BMW was one of the cooperating OEMs during the c. 2011 development of this technology (the regulatory/compliance reasons for which are in the article):

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/18/c...carb-together/
Old 12-21-2016, 07:03 PM

I suppose given the (additional) weight of the X5 40e the extra half tank of fuel would not be significant, would it?
Old 12-22-2016, 08:16 PM

Mein Auto: i3 , 330e
Great thread, subscribing..

Coming from an i3 to a 330e, the 40e is more similar for "unique best practices" . Hope you don't mind I joint your fun here.

We have had our car since Black Friday, I will be trying some of the eco tricks soon.
So far just driving mostly in Auto/Comfort, 90% short (20- mile) in town trips plus two 70+ mile treks .

With a little over 500 miles , our overall average is 85+ MPG and 3.9 miles/kWh.
I'm happy with that, but hope to improve it just a little. Will be shooting for 100 MPG and 4 mi/kWh.

I have a L2 EVSE, charging takes less than 1, to just over 2 hours depending on SOC when I started.
I don't need to pre-condition, but in the summer I like to leave the air conditioner on while in the store for a quick stop. Our i3 had this feature and loved it, getting into a cool place in 100F+ heat is really nice.

---Bill.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:02 PM

Hi Bill. I've suggested that a separate section be created for eDrive since the topics span across models.
Old 12-23-2016, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Did you preheat automatically on "shore power"? If not, then you'd be heating your car while you drive with, in effect, a battery-powered hair dryer.
Ok, so the more I drive the more I calculate, Im thinking that durring mid temperature months, I should do much better with electrical. If I do get the rated range with out heat on, I can be down to maybe 13 cents per mile vs gas of about 16-17 cents.

Its not a huge difference, but like some one said before if stable for year round its about $300 based on how much you drive (10k/year). Unfortunately, NY electric prices are way too high, so it does not work out for me. All of this is based on my local prices right now, durring spring it might change. Also based on my driving habits.

For right now, looks like charging is not the best option, unless its free. Will continue to experiment and report back.
Old 12-23-2016, 05:31 AM

Quote:
...during mid temperature months, I should do much better with electrical.
You raise an interesting point.

So, two reflections:

A. The life of a car is, perhaps, 9 years. Is that fair? Let's stipulate that it's not necessarily all those years with the original owner, in many cases. We're at a moment right now, in terms of crude oil and geopolitics that electricity and price-at-the-pump are basically dead even. Doesn't mean it will always be that - or that, in any given city, that electricity isn't just silly-expensive. But for many of us in North America, we're at a moment where it's basically a wash. Personally, I like knowing that I'm not going to be pinched if gas goes to $4.50 a gallon again. I also like the way this vehicle drives, so I would choose it again anyway.

B. Any internal combustion engine (ICE) generates heat as a byproduct. It generates so much extra heat that it has to rid itself of it with fins (classic Harley Davidson air-cooled design), or with a water-cooled radiator (pretty much every car), creating the opportunity for a liquid heater core in the coolant loop, which is free cabin heat. I assume this vehicle has a traditional heater core as well, but I don't know for sure. Heating air with a battery is inefficient (yes, technically, it's 100% efficient if you're an electrical engineer... but you know what I mean... perhaps "ineffective" is a better word choice). You'll kill the battery driving through Minnesota in February in Max_eDrive mode, because you're rolling along in a giant hair dryer. A Tesla faces the same challenge, but without "our" BMW advantages of the available ICE. So, yes, IMHO it follows that choosing to exploit more ICE in the winter makes sense. That said, I'd still precondition with "shore power" because it's damn pleasant to get into a warm car on a cold day, with a full battery.

That's just my opinion. Curious what others think.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
You raise an interesting point.

So, two reflections:

A. The life of a car is, perhaps, 9 years. Is that fair? Let's stipulate that it's not necessarily all those years with the original owner, in many cases. We're at a moment right now, in terms of crude oil and geopolitics that electricity and price-at-the-pump are basically dead even. Doesn't mean it will always be that - or that, in any given city, that electricity isn't just silly-expensive. But for many of us in North America, we're at a moment where it's basically a wash. Personally, I like knowing that I'm not going to be pinched if gas goes to $4.50 a gallon again. I also like the way this vehicle drives, so I would choose it again anyway.

B. Any internal combustion engine (ICE) generates heat as a byproduct. It generates so much extra heat that it has to rid itself of it with fins (classic Harley Davidson air-cooled design), or with a water-cooled radiator (pretty much every car), creating the opportunity for a liquid heater core in the coolant loop, which is free cabin heat. I assume this vehicle has a traditional heater core as well, but I don't know for sure. Heating air with a battery is inefficient (yes, technically, it's 100% efficient if you're an electrical engineer... but you know what I mean... perhaps "ineffective" is a better word choice). You'll kill the battery driving through Minnesota in February in Max_eDrive mode, because you're rolling along in a giant hair dryer. A Tesla faces the same challenge, but without "our" BMW advantages of the available ICE. So, yes, IMHO it follows that choosing to exploit more ICE in the winter makes sense. That said, I'd still precondition with "shore power" because it's damn pleasant to get into a warm car on a cold day, with a full battery.

That's just my opinion. Curious what others think.
Well my issue with preheating is the price, if I ran it from 5:45am to 8am(when I leave) it uses about 2 hours extra electricity and its not cost effective. It is nice, but usually with in about 2-3 minutes this car is warm.... I`m still playing with that concept... I`m a little confused about conditioning when its not plugged in to shore power... Like at the lot, if the battery is low(2-10%), is it still going to do it ?
Old 12-23-2016, 09:22 AM

No, it won't kill itself. It's smart. It will give you a very polite message when you get back in your very cold (or very hot) vehicle, saying something to the effect of: "traction battery was not sufficiently charged for pre-conditioning cycle..."

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 F15 (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search