40e unique best practices? - Page 7 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 F15 (2014 - Current)

X5 F15 (2014 - Current)
The all new F15 BMW X5 started production August 2013 as a 2014 model year. The new X5 arrives in sDrive35i (RWD), xDrive35i, xDrive50i and a diesel xDrive 35d.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Yahoo to turpiwa
Mein Auto: Toyota Hilux -unbreakable
Thanks for the info. I'm confused on why we need the whole charge point deal. My wife has so far just plugged in at home without it and will plug the L1 unit into a regular plug in the garage at thee work - once I get the L2 setup. I need to do some research obviously

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
ED 2009 E90 335i - Le Mans, (sold 2010) MY ED 2009 WRITEUP
2005 545i - Nice fast cruiser (Calgary, Canada)
ED 2005 E90 330i - (sold 2007) MY ED 2005 WRITEUP
ED PICTURES there's lots
Old 03-05-2017, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto: X5 40e
Quote:
Originally Posted by turpiwa View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm confused on why we need the whole charge point deal. My wife has so far just plugged in at home without it and will plug the L1 unit into a regular plug in the garage at thee work - once I get the L2 setup. I need to do some research obviously

There's a few companies that run the public charging stations around the US, and ChargePoint is one:
https://www.chargepoint.com/

I think they are all compatible with each other (so if you have ChargePoint you can use another station), but all of the public stations I've seen here are run by ChargePoint.

Basically you open an account, and link it to a credit card. When you charge, if there's a fee it will bill to that card. You need the card (or use their app) to unlock the charger at a public station. They disclose the fees, so you can determine if you want to charge or not. Several local Walgreen's have stations, but charge a flat $2. Even if the battery on the 40e is empty, I can get a gallon of 93 gas for about $2.15, so the charge isn't worth it.

If you'll never charge outside of your house, then you don't need to bother. But for me, living here in metro Austin where there seem to be plenty of free charging stations, having ChargePoint is a nice benefit. There are some places, such as parks and shopping malls, where you can get close-up parking. Heck at some places you might not get any parking otherwise.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:30 AM

Thanks. Just doing a quick bit of looking (and bear in mind I haven't actually really seen the car let alone had a chance to look through the manual and case contents) and it seems there should be charegenow cards there. Well I'll be home in a couple of days and will have a chance to look at things and play

ED PICTURES there's lots
Old 03-05-2017, 11:39 AM

Mein Auto: X5 40e
Quote:
Originally Posted by turpiwa View Post
Thanks. Just doing a quick bit of looking (and bear in mind I haven't actually really seen the car let alone had a chance to look through the manual and case contents) and it seems there should be charegenow cards there. Well I'll be home in a couple of days and will have a chance to look at things and play
Thanks for the info! I hadn't yet opened my manual, it was just sitting in my glove box.

I found the ChargeNow packet, and there were 2 cards inside. From looking at that, and going online I think I've figured out the following:
* ChargeNow is the same as ChargePoint, but branded for BMW
* If you register your BMW (or link to an existing account), BMW will cover the first 30 min or 1 hour (depending on station) for any that charge, for the first 2 years

I was able to link my ChargeNow cards to my existing ChargePoint account. The cards are BMW branded and look more cool than the normal ChargePoint cards. Plus you get 2 in your manual, one for each key. ChargePoint only sent me 1 card.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankeschoen View Post
Thanks for the info! I hadn't yet opened my manual, it was just sitting in my glove box.

I found the ChargeNow packet, and there were 2 cards inside. From looking at that, and going online I think I've figured out the following:

* ChargeNow is the same as ChargePoint, but branded for BMW

* If you register your BMW (or link to an existing account), BMW will cover the first 30 min or 1 hour (depending on station) for any that charge, for the first 2 years

I was able to link my ChargeNow cards to my existing ChargePoint account. The cards are BMW branded and look more cool than the normal ChargePoint cards. Plus you get 2 in your manual, one for each key. ChargePoint only sent me 1 card.

Great. Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to getting back and having a play with the car. My dilemma is though - that my car sits in waiting for the last 28 days - I do 28/28 rotations - and I love getting back to it (is a '16 M3) - but also want to get in and mess with my wife's X5. Good and bad though I guess is that the M3 is going into the shop Friday for some Dinan work and we are off for a week skiing. First world problems - I know.

ED PICTURES there's lots
Old 03-14-2017, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: 40e
Torque curves, specs, voltage, etc. Apparently this stuff is posted in Europe:

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/nethe...08182NL/302366

I assume things like vehicle-internal voltage and steptronic gear ratios are identical here in the US. Obviously, wall voltages and (often) power cycles are different in Europe. Still, there's still a lot of useful info in the .pdf.

Last edited by guyinacar; 03-14-2017 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 X5 xDrive 40e PHEV
I just read this excellent blog post about preconditioning the cabin and battery in the i3. I am thinking the X5 40e should be similar.

http://bmwi3.blogspot.com/2015/03/bm...nding-how.html

Summary: Warming the cabin and preconditioning the battery are 2 different things. Warm/cool the battery for max range and longevity by setting "Precondition for Departure".

Not sure why BMW doesn't include this information in the manual.
LED Lighting Pkg (coded Glare Free High Beam)
Luxury Seating Pkg
ACC Stop & Go
Night Vision w/ Pedestrian Detection
HK Sound
275/40R20 315/35R20 Pirelli P Zero RFT
275/40R20 315/35R20 Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow RFT

Last edited by smashmonkey; 03-14-2017 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:24 PM

Diesel equivalent mode (DEM):
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...1#post10179461
Old 06-03-2017, 07:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 530e
I just took delivery of my 530e last weekend, and this thread has been really helpful.

I am realizing that I have to unlearn some of the habits that I've developed driving my wife's Lexus hybrid (non-plug-in) but I am gradually adapting to the BMW system.

A couple of questions for you guys who have been driving the 40e for awhile now:

First, the Connected app routinely shows that I have 18 miles of EV range on a full charge, but the second I drive off, that drops to 12 or 13 miles. Granted, Austin can be pretty hilly, but it isn't yet scorchingly hot out, and I have not been running a ton of accessories (massage, seat ventilation, etc.). What is the practical EV-only range that you guys have been seeing, what factors impact it most, and why does the app seem to give such an optimistic estimate?

Second question: in a typical workday I have a 6 mile commute each way through stop and go traffic. Thus far I can get about two thirds of the way home in Max Edrive before the battery runs out. Some days I have lunch appointments out of the office, and these involve highway driving. What are your thoughts on the overall efficiency of battery control mode? Thus far, I use Max Edrive for my commute, but put it in Battery Control, set at 60%, when doing mid-day highway drives, with the goal being to conserve battery for my commute home, again in Max Edrive mode. I realize, however, that battery control decreases ICE mileage to charge the battery. Has anyone taken a look at whether it's more efficient overall to just stay in Auto Edrive, or do you think that Battery Control is the most efficient solution in this scenario?
Old 06-03-2017, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: NA
Range depends a lot on driving speeds. Freeway driving drains the battery much more quickly than sto and go or city driving. It's hard to get much more than 10-12 miles of highway range on max eDrive mode. I could get 15-17 miles if very conservative on local roads, going less than 35mph the whole time.

As far as figuring out driving modes, it something you'll have to keep tinkering with. My commute is 13 miles each way. I could do Auto eDrive each way, but I end up using the ICE the way to work (under battery save mode), then use max eDrive on the way home. It is about 10 miles on the freeway with the remainder on local roads. The reason is, auto eDrive may drain the battery much more than expected and I may end up having to charge the battery on the way home which will kill MPG.

In the end, you really have to plan your trips ahead of time and think about the best way to avoiding draining your battery because using the ICE to charge the battery. The midday trips for you throw things off a bit. You could drive to work using ICE only (battery save) so you are close to 100% when you get to work, then use some max eDrive for the midday lunch break as well as the way home. But make sure you plan it out so you don't end up draining the battery before getting home so you don't lose MPG charging the battery.

Another way to look at it is if a full battery only gets you 2/3 of a round trip to/from work, use max eDrive for the last 2/3 of your trip, not the first 2/3, while using save battery for the first 1/3. That way, you get maximum MPG by not burning fuel to charge the battery.

Last edited by wordsworth03; 06-03-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 X5 xDrive 40e PHEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossian512 View Post
First, the Connected app routinely shows that I have 18 miles of EV range on a full charge, but the second I drive off, that drops to 12 or 13 miles. Granted, Austin can be pretty hilly, but it isn't yet scorchingly hot out, and I have not been running a ton of accessories (massage, seat ventilation, etc.). What is the practical EV-only range that you guys have been seeing, what factors impact it most, and why does the app seem to give such an optimistic estimate?

Second question: in a typical workday I have a 6 mile commute each way through stop and go traffic. Thus far I can get about two thirds of the way home in Max Edrive before the battery runs out. Some days I have lunch appointments out of the office, and these involve highway driving. What are your thoughts on the overall efficiency of battery control mode? Thus far, I use Max Edrive for my commute, but put it in Battery Control, set at 60%, when doing mid-day highway drives, with the goal being to conserve battery for my commute home, again in Max Edrive mode. I realize, however, that battery control decreases ICE mileage to charge the battery. Has anyone taken a look at whether it's more efficient overall to just stay in Auto Edrive, or do you think that Battery Control is the most efficient solution in this scenario?
The EV range and some of the other calculated figures are "optimistic" (a.k.a. alternative facts). They are what BMW wants you to believe they are. EPA tested EV range is 14 miles which is about what I see in real world. It can vary depending on how hard the motor has to work (e.g. up hill vs. down hill). Also it can vary depending what else is draining the battery (e.g. heating/cooling the battery and the cabin).

Me personally, I leave the car in Auto hybrid mode almost all the time. The exception is if I'm almost at an L2 EVSE and there is still battery capacity left and I want to use it all up. The lack of acceleration under Max eDrive mode is just too annoying to use it much.

X5 40e doesn't have Battery Control mode. We have Save mode, which maximizes ICE recharging up to 50% battery.

I never use Save mode because I don't have any EV city congestion zones around me. I have no idea the rate the ICE generates electricity, but I imagine it's not very efficient to put a parasitic load on the ICE to recharge the battery so it can power the motor to turn the wheels. There would be friction, heat and transfer loses. I imagine it would be more efficient to just have the ICE drive the wheels, and let regen recharge the battery.

EV mode I get 3.1 miles/kWh and I pay $0.16/kWh. Cost me $5.16/100 miles EV.

Combined hybrid mode w/ depleted battery EPA test gets 24 miles/gallon and I pay $2.90/gallon. Cost me $12.08/100 miles hybrid.

My strategy is to just plug in to recharge the battery as much as possible and use it all up. When it's depleted I just drive around in Auto hybrid mode. Under mixed use the car reports I average 37.6 mpg. Assuming 13.6 miles of that is EV, it would cost me $9.58/100 miles. The best way to lower the cost/100 miles is to increase the proportion of plug in EV usage.
LED Lighting Pkg (coded Glare Free High Beam)
Luxury Seating Pkg
ACC Stop & Go
Night Vision w/ Pedestrian Detection
HK Sound
275/40R20 315/35R20 Pirelli P Zero RFT
275/40R20 315/35R20 Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow RFT

Last edited by smashmonkey; 06-09-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsworth03 View Post
As far as figuring out driving modes, it something you'll have to keep tinkering with.
Agreed, but only if you want to figure them out. Per my link, above, you can just drive around all day in what I've termed "diesel equivalent mode" (DEM). It's more aggressive than the defaults (and it burns more gas), but DEM is intuitive as hell while you drive.

Shame you can't code DEM to be the default experience on a given X5 key fob. Maybe that's what the new 530e "battery control" option allows? I haven't played with that yet.

Last edited by guyinacar; 06-12-2017 at 05:01 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:33 AM

Fantastic write-up of the 530e new-user experience by Ossian512:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=984570

(And thanks for the shout. )

Last edited by guyinacar; 06-19-2017 at 02:56 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 F15 (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search