Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 10-21-2016, 04:41 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i
Rear brake light no error

So I have a rear brake light/tail light that doesn't work.

1. I also have no error on my dash
2. I have replaced the rear tail light assembly and have the same problem
3. Replaced all the bulbs
4. Only problem is the one light, turn signal and all other lights work

Any suggestions?
Advertisement
Old 10-21-2016, 05:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
First, what model car are we diagnosing?

Second, when you replaced the taillight, did you replace the bulb holder assembly? If so, I would recommend looking at the grounding to the taillight. A partially bad ground can create many problems.

BMW CCA member
Old 10-21-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinweiss View Post
First, what model car are we diagnosing?

Second, when you replaced the taillight, did you replace the bulb holder assembly? If so, I would recommend looking at the grounding to the taillight. A partially bad ground can create many problems.

2001 325xi

I replaced the assembly and nothing changed. The rear right brake light still didn't work and I still had no error light on the dash indicating it wasnt working.

How do I find a bad ground?
Old 10-23-2016, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sae85400 View Post
2001 325xi

I replaced the assembly and nothing changed. The rear right brake light still didn't work and I still had no error light on the dash indicating it wasnt working.

How do I find a bad ground?
OK, sorry to be such a pest, but I want to double-check that you replaced part #3 in this diagram:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=63_0459

If so, you want to check the ground wire to the tail light. Start by unplugging the wire connector at your tail light. The ground should be a brown wire. Use a DVOM and check the continuity between the connector and a good ground point on the body. The reading should be just about zero ohms. If you have resistance, the ground wire (or connector) is either broken or corroded.

BMW CCA member
Old 10-24-2016, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: '02 BMW 325Ci Convertible
The Bulb carrier also houses the interior trunk light - when you plug the known good working side into the side that does not work, does the interior light come on?
Old 06-16-2017, 09:17 AM

Since this post I have replaced the entire bulb carrier and part #15 on the link. I still have the same problem. No tail light/brake light... but turn signal and other lights work
Old 06-16-2017, 01:28 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi
I had same with an MB car....It was the wrong # light bulb! Germans use a resistance measure in their light bulbs to activate 'bulb-out' on your 'blown lightbulb' feature on your dash panel.. Wrong replacement (turn-stop) bulbs...especially from AutoZone will simply not work on your German car......
Old 06-16-2017, 01:46 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
OP, if Post #7 does not work, check the wiring for breaks, especially where the harness comes into the trunk.

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 06-17-2017, 04:52 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
OP, if Post #7 does not work, check the wiring for breaks, especially where the harness comes into the trunk.
Yes..Wiring harness from car body to lift gate does twist the harness upon every opening-closing....I have cobbled wires for my A6 avant. I will not freak me out if the same happens to my newly acquired 03 325 wagon down the road...like before! Twist a wire harness back and forth for 14 years, the individual wire insulation wears thin and brittle thus exposing raw copper wire to short.

Last edited by GermanAutobahn; 06-17-2017 at 04:57 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search