Power to dash cam - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:55 AM

Mein Auto: No BMW (yet)
Power to dash cam

Hi guys
I have ordered a Blackvue DR650S-2CH dash cam kit and I also want to install a Blackvue Power Magic Pro to my 330e.

Question, is this an issue installing it in a hybrid due to battery drain etc?
Does anyone know how to install the magic pro to the 330e? Specifically looking for what fuses I need to tap into.

Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 12-30-2016, 09:43 AM

Any F30 guides will do, been searching but nothing concrete found
Old 12-30-2016, 10:35 AM
former motorcycle rider

Mein Auto: F06
The blackvue dash cam draws very little power. Don't worry about it. I don''t know what the "Power Magic Pro" is.

I powered mine from the mirror, but that's because I wanted it up high.
Old 01-01-2017, 04:50 AM

The magic pro is to allow the cameras to record while the car is parked.
I'd use the mirror tap kit but that doesn't record when the car is parked because I guess the mirror loses power after engine off.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerGuy View Post
The blackvue dash cam draws very little power. Don't worry about it. I don''t know what the "Power Magic Pro" is.

I powered mine from the mirror, but that's because I wanted it up high.
How did you get power from the mirror? Just recently acquired our F34 and have not explored everything yet. In light of the accident that destroyed our X3, we want to install a dash cam to record should anything like that happen again. I don't want to run a wire around the entire windshield to make it happen though.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:27 AM

Mein Auto: 328xi GT
Definitely use https://www.mirrortap.com/.
I mounted my V1 with it in my F34. It makes quick and easy work of the electrical.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:25 AM
former motorcycle rider

Mein Auto: F06
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboardjoe View Post
How did you get power from the mirror?.
If your car has an electrochromatic mirror, that runs off of 12 volts.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Our BMW View Post
Definitely use https://www.mirrortap.com/.
I mounted my V1 with it in my F34. It makes quick and easy work of the electrical.
Thanks. I reached out to MirrorTap for info. However, I forgot the Garmin wants to use a USB interface which will be 5V instead of 12V. May have to look for a different dash cam.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:22 AM

Mein Auto: E60
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_dracula View Post
The magic pro is to allow the cameras to record while the car is parked.
I'd use the mirror tap kit but that doesn't record when the car is parked because I guess the mirror loses power after engine off.

On F32 I used fuse 161 for the constant power and 143 for switched accessories. I used a multisafer rather than Power Magic Pro but same concept.

In order for parking mode to work with the BV650, you must hardwire to the fuse box either with something like PM Pro or a battery pack to power the camera when the engine is off and not drain the car battery. A mirror tap will not work as the mirror is not constant power.

If you have a cheaper dash cam without parking mode, a mirror tap is fine as the camera only needs power when the engine is on.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 06-17-2017, 08:22 PM
Burnin Oil

Mein Auto: '16 328d
Kef, for your blackvue I assume you used the fusebox in the trunk. Did you run the included cig light adapter all the way to the trunk from the winshield and plug it into a female cig adapter that was included with the multisafer ? Meaning did you retain the power cord from the blackvue and its male cig plug.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 428i Gran Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbreding View Post
Kef, for your blackvue I assume you used the fusebox in the trunk. Did you run the included cig light adapter all the way to the trunk from the winshield and plug it into a female cig adapter that was included with the multisafer ? Meaning did you retain the power cord from the blackvue and its male cig plug.
That's exactly how I did it with mine. I kept the power cord from Blackvue as it and plug it near the fuse box into the Power Magic Pro plug.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:28 AM

Quote:

Correct. Multisafer comes with a female cig adapter. Run the BlackVue power cord all the way to the trunk to the fuse box. There is plenty of cord.

I have had a poor experience with the BlackVue and in the process of exchanging it. I'm not saying my experience is typical, but it has been one of the more disappointing purchases I have made in a while. The last straw was when the GPS stopped working and the date and time stamps were wrong. There is no way to set the date and time manually. A black box with the wrong date and time is just a black brick.

Good luck!

Old 06-18-2017, 05:53 AM
Burnin Oil

Thanks dada and kef.

Kef, how was the exchange warranty process ?

Also did you guys use the fuse taps ? If so which size were they (mini, nano, regular) ?

Last edited by rbreding; 06-18-2017 at 05:55 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Thanks dada and kef.

Kef, how was the exchange warranty process ?

Also did you guys use the fuse taps ? If so which size were they (mini, nano, regular) ?

Yes, purchased fuse taps, one mini with a 5 amp fuse and one standard also with a 5 amp fuse. Wiring it up was straight forward, you will need a pair of wire crimpers and a socket set for the ground. Some electrical tape and foam tape to keep everything tidy and rattle free. The multisafer works seamlessly with the auto stop/start.

Normally I would have placed the front unit directly in front of the RVM, but my car has a camera in the mirror housing for the auto high beams. I ended up installing the unit upside down just under the hashing that surrounds the RVM, on the passenger side with the camera lens just to the side of the mirror housing. In this arrangement it is essentially invisible. Two downsides - the videos are all upside down and backwards which you can fix on playback, but an extra step, and you have to remove the camera from the mount to get the SD card out, also modestly annoying.

I am just starting the return process, received the RMA number last evening and will ship tomorrow. I bought from BlackBoxMyCar. They are Canadian company and I'm in US so some additional hassle with customs declarations and so on. Shipping is very slow; almost two weeks between NYC and Vancouver, BC. After paying foreign transaction fees on the original purchase and shipping on the return I would have been better off buying from Costco. Live and learn.

I know lots of folks who love their DR650s. Perhaps mine was a dud from the beginning. Wireless connectivity was very unreliable, cloud service limited to a set number of downloads per month, rear camera so dark it is useless. First day over 90 F and the GPS receiver melts down. Hopefully the replacement fixes all this.

kef

Old 06-18-2017, 09:34 AM
Burnin Oil

Yep I noticed the arrangement of the front unit when I was playing around with placement last night. Putting the cabling on the left side does snug it up against the rain sensor and high beam camera but I was wondering about the upside down issue. Sounds like the firmware doesn't have a setting for upside down which is a bummer. I think I will try the normal mounting first to see how I like it. I need to probably do the mirror tap at the same time for the radar detector power.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:35 AM

Mein Auto: 428iGC
I also have the DR650S-2CH (upgraded from DR650GW) installed on my ride. Have you notice that the iOS blackvue app the live view camera's are reversed??? im also on the lastest firmware v1.006
BMWCCA #494914
Old 06-20-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fondoo1287 View Post
I also have the DR650S-2CH (upgraded from DR650GW) installed on my ride. Have you notice that the iOS blackvue app the live view camera's are reversed??? im also on the lastest firmware v1.006

Do you mean when u select the front view the rear camera is displayed? Or it is reversed left to right?

I've been underwhelmed with the app and the wifi connection, but I have not had that problem.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto: 428iGC
pointing right should be the front of the car and pointing left is the rear. mines for some reason is reversed and same goes for vortex radar from what he tells me.

BMWCCA #494914

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search