My new aquisition - '98 318i - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-22-2017, 01:59 PM
Pipe Major

Mein Auto: E46 318i
My new aquisition - '98 318i

Hi everyone, fairly new member here.

Bought my first Bimmer yesterday. 1998 E46 318i.

145kms on the clock

Good:
Lower control arms were replaced last week, brakes are a year or two old, all electrics work, complete tool kit.

Bad:
Clear coat is coming off the boot lid, and the boot lid and rear bumper are ever so slightly misaligned. Not really problems, but I find it rather gutless and don't like the feel of the throttle pedal.

Plans:
Enjoy it a lot!!! Maybe look at intake and exhaust upgrades and a dyno tune if I get sick of it being sluggish.

Needs a wash.

Advertisement
Old 02-22-2017, 03:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Jeep, 1 Vespa
Congrats on the new to you BMW. This is mostly a US based forum and we did not get the E46 318i here. Not sure if it's the same motor but I had a 91 318is with an N42 engine and 5 speed as a daily driver. Not the fastest off the line, but it handled great and I had a blast driving it like I stole it - I used to give myself motion sickness driving it through the canyons on the way back from work... On top of that, it made it to 245k miles (that's just under 400k km) with relatively few repairs. Terrific little car, sold it to a college student who still had it a few years later when I had a Carfax subscription and ran the VIN out of curiosity. I think yours may have the same engine, and if that's the case, I hope yours is as durable, reliable, and fun as that car was for me.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:38 PM
Pipe Major

I think this is the M43 motor. Runs well and sounds rather sporty, too.

I plan on doing a lot of highway driving, so smooth cruising is my main goal.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: '04 e46 Touring M-Sport
You can put all your money in upgrades and you will stay under 200bhp.
M43 is reliable as it is (118bhp stock), so use it as transportation for going to work, and you will get money for another BMW with 6-cylinders.
Trust me, I've thought about the power issue.

Last edited by lgr122; 02-22-2017 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:13 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 3series 318i
It is really not that fast but mine can't start when cold have to disconnect the vvt motor to start and when hot can't start as well need help.

Sent from my DIGICELDL1 using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 06-18-2017, 03:37 AM

Mein Auto: '00 323i/97 528i/05 X5
Im not sure how the e46 318i does but my e36 318is is pretty fast. Great on gas mileage too.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:42 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw
There's a few of these in Australia, I've seen a few go up to about 350 000kms. The engine itself isn't to powerful so don't go thrashing the car but its a nice reliable car. I wouldn't recommend doing to many upgrades to increase the horsepower. Maybe get the codes read so you can stay on top of any problems. Overall it looks really nice though.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 06-18-2017, 06:36 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 3series 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomex View Post
It is really not that fast but mine can't start when cold have to disconnect the vvt motor to start and when hot can't start as well need help.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:04 PM
Pipe Major

After three months here is the list of things that have failed:
Diff mounts
Rear shock and mounts
Front lower control arms
Stabiliser link ball joints
Gearbox
Winder Washer pump motor
CCV
Hose on the bottom of coolant expansion tank
Coolant hoses at the back of the motor

Decided to go all out and replace all shocks, springs, and shock mounts (Bilstein B8s and Vogtland). New stabiliser links, new tie rods, and a reconditioned gearbox. A lot of money and work to put into a car with a worse power to weight ratio than the moon, but I'm very happy with it. Doubled my horsepower by replacing the fuel filter which I'm suspecting is the original that came with the car since it's stamped July 1998.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:13 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw
That must have costed a fair bit, did u purchase the car for much? The km's are quite low for a 1998 so that's defs a good thing. Did u do all the work yourself or did u get a mechanic?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 06-18-2017, 09:44 PM
Pipe Major

Didn't pay much for it at all. I did the rear suspension and changed the oil, filters, and spark plugs (ignition coil next time I get paid), and got mechanics to do the fronts suspension, steering, and gearbox. There was no possible way of getting the front shocks out without compressing the springs inside the wheel wells; so I gave up, put it back together, and gave it to a pro.

I think it owes me AUS$8400 after purchase price and mods/repairs. Yeah, that could have bought me a really nice 330i, but it probably would have needed work anyway.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search