Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 3 Series Sport
Remap of 316i F30

Hi folks.
I have a 2013 316 sport (UK) which I bought last year (very low mileage, deal too good to pass up imo).

As I've had it nearly a year I'm looking to get it remapped to squeeze a bit more power out (when I told a friend my engine is a 1.6, he asked me why I didn't buy a "proper" BMW!).

I understand that the power increase in these are crazy (stage 1 from 136bhp to 220bhp, 310Nm) and the stage 2 goes to 240bhp and 330Nm torque.

Here's my question. I'm set on having it done, but need advice on which stage.

Many companies have told me that for a stage 2 I would need to upgrade intercooler, exhaust system etc, whereas the company I've actually booked the remap with (coming next week) have said that a stage 2 is possible without any additional mods as my engine is effectively a 2 litre engine restricted to a 1.6, and therefore already had the necessary components to handle the additional power.

I've received conflicting advice on whether a stage 2 is possible and ask for advice on what to go for. Of course I would prefer the extra 20bhp that a stage 2 gives but don't want to do that at the expense of ruining my engine, or needing any additional expensive mods.

To throw another spanner into the works I've since been informed that my car ISN'T a 2.0 restricted to a 1.6, and that it's effectively the same engine that's used in the Mini Cooper (which begs the question, how do they squeeze 240bhp out of a 1.6??).

I'm intent on having it done and would welcome advice or opinions on if the stage 2 is safe. The company I've booked with appear good and reputable and all their reviews online are great. They're IMI accredited and I have no real issue with the company, which makes me believe his advice is legit (that the car could handle a stage 2), but this advice isn't the consensus.

Any advice / opinions / debate welcome.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Bimmerfest mobile app
Advertisement
Old 06-19-2017, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 316i F30
Hello Greetings to all in the forum.

Im also interested in tuning my 316i F30 2014. I have done a lot of research and the options are.

1)Piggy tuning like Ac Schnitzer (204hp) and Novatune (184hp) (ex Hartge) which are expensive ones but very realiable and then other like Racechip, DTE, TMC, which are analogic piggys which are cheaper but still doing the job without any risks. I have spoken to a lot of people that have their car 116i F20 (same engine) tuned with Racechip and they are very much happy. Racechip gives in our engine top in the reality 170hp and 28 Nm

2) Remap is the best solution when it comes to performance if u do it at people that know the job good and have done a lot of remaps on the N13B16 Prince engine. I have driven recently a BMW 316i F30 with remap stage1 204hp and 31Nm and it was really like an other car. Really big difference with stock. He has his car remaped about 6 months without any problems. He also monitors the oil temperature with torque system through odb and all seems normal within limits.
One of the best company and more reliable for remap is Br Performance and they say that our car can go without any risk to 220hp and 31Nm. Anything more than that needs also other modification to be safe like:
a) Exhaust system with sport catalyst
b) Performance intercooler
c) If u want a K&N Air Fliter

At which company would u remap your car? Mosselmanturbosystems is one good company near u i think. I would say stage 1 without modification.

** I will try Racechip cause i dont have a reliable tuner near me and have to drive all way to Athens to remap my car and the distance is a problem if i need any help.....

Last edited by Payne83; 06-19-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:28 AM

Hi. Yes I went for a stage 1 in the end. They quoted 220bhp (although I haven't had it checked on a rolling road) with a company called DK Tuning. Cost around 400 and they came to my house to do it.

I'm happy with the results, and 220bhp seems about right. Had a little race recently against a mate in his Skoda Octavia VRS (around 180bhp) and left him for dead.

Certainly puts a smile on my face when I put it into sport mode and put my foot down. Well worth having it done for me.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:42 AM

Wow u answered really fast.

Im very happy u enjoy ur car and its sure worth it. You said they done it at ur place. Did they took out the ECU or they remaped it through ODB port? Do you maybe know also at what bar ur turbo is working now. Stock is 0.7 bar. As i know stage one raises it to 1.1-1.2 bar.

Just to know all F20 and F30 stock produce more horsepower and torque than BMW says. I have seen dynotests from 316i (142-148hp)(24-26Nm) and the 116i(146-156hp)(24-26Nm) all stock.

Would be interesting for u to do a dynotest ans see whats really is the outcome.

Have on more question. Do you think that when the times comes to sell ur car that having it remaped would be a reason for the buyer to throw the price down? Cause u have fingered it as we say here...Thats also one of the reason maybe i hasitate to remap mine. Its always detectable even if u erase the new program. That why a lot of people put piggys cause they cant be so easily detected and if u want to do that u need to enter the turbo pressure history and see how far high it was.

Thanx!

Last edited by Payne83; 06-19-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:57 AM

Yes I'd be interested to have it done too but cost has prevented it for now.

They had to remove the ECU. Apparently that is unavoidable on our type of car. He then did his magic on a bench in the back of his van.

Yes I think when it comes to sell it would reduce the price so I'm not going to say anything. I think it would put off a potential buyer knowing the ECU has been messed about with.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:06 PM

But even if u dont say anything and he makes a test drive he will sure notice that this isnt a car with 136hp. Or if he uses a diagnostic tool or brings the car to bmw to check it will be found. But ok maybe u even find a buyer that loves it more with the tune programm since it doesnt make any problems to the engine.

Have u even conisdered putting a piggy before remaping?
Old 06-19-2017, 12:48 PM

Yes but that relies on them knowing it should be 136bhp in the first place.

What's a piggy? Like a tuning box? If so then yes I considered it but power output is lower than a remap

Old 06-19-2017, 01:25 PM

Yes tuning boxes that are almost in the same price range. Of course the output is smaller like Racechip gives with setting in S2-F about 165-170hp and 28 Nm and DTE,DTUK and TMC give about 160-165 hp and 26Nm. They give in real numbers about 20hp and 4Nm.
The only tuning boxes that give much better results are Ac Schnitzer (204hp and 29Nm) with 100RON and Novatune(184hp and 28Nm) with 98RON, but they cost about 2000. The good thing with tuningboxes is that they are not traceable and if u take them of car is again in stock. Even BMW cant easy detect it if they dont enter the turbo log file.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search