Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i > BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)

BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)
The BMW i3 and BMW i8 are the first two cars launch under BMW's new sub brand BMW i. The i3 is an all carbon fiber, all electric vehicle meant for urban mobility.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:31 AM
Bimmerfest.com Founder

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
BMW i3 Service Action for Low Cost Charging function

BMW i3 service action

BMW has released a Service Action that impacts 1,698 I01 i3 BEV and i3 Rex vehicles produced from 11/05/2015 to 03/30/2017. The Program Control Unit has a software error that does not allow the "low cost charging" function to be enabled. Insead the "charge immediately" function is activated.

BMW has created a software update to fix this and will update your i3 to allow low cost charging. BMW has been holding i3 models at the port until this recall could be applied.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf KLE Software.pdf (68.7 KB, 145 views)

Last edited by God-Follower; 05-02-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2017, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: BMW i3 REX
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
BMW i3 service action

BMW has released a Service Action that impacts 1,698 I01 i3 BEV and i3 Rex vehicles produced from 11/05/2015 to 03/30/2017. The Program Control Unit has a software error that does not allow the "low cost charging" function to be enabled. Insead the "charge immediately" function is activated.

BMW has created a software update to fix this and will update your i3 to allow low cost charging. BMW has been holding i3 models at the port until this recall could be applied.
Thank you for posting this! I have been having this problem on my 2017 REX (but maybe only since the last software update), but my service advisor at first didn't believe this was applicable because it is dated three years ago. Is it safe to assume that the date of the TSB, "May 2014," is a typo?

I think the fact that the production dates shown are much more recent convinced her it really is new, and I'm assuming the "17" in the TSB number is a year.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2015\2016 i3s, F10 535d
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg1 View Post
Thank you for posting this! I have been having this problem on my 2017 REX (but maybe only since the last software update), but my service advisor at first didn't believe this was applicable because it is dated three years ago. Is it safe to assume that the date of the TSB, "May 2014," is a typo?

I think the fact that the production dates shown are much more recent convinced her it really is new, and I'm assuming the "17" in the TSB number is a year.
You are correct. The bulletin number of 61 23 17 is proof that it was in fact released this year, not in 2014.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:25 PM

Mein Auto: BMW i3 REX
Update on my experience: I called the dealer and explained to my service advisor what the problem was and referred her to the TSB. After convincing her that this was in fact a new TSB and not three years old (there is a typo on the TSB), she made an appointment for me to bring in the car. I asked her whether they actually had the software update yet, but didn't get a straight answer.

I just picked up the car after they had it for two days (at least I had a loaner, but the dealer is a good distance out of my way). Nothing was done, because the tech said the software WAS NOT available yet. I will have to bring it back when they get the software.

The moral of the story is, if you have the same issue, make them check whether they have the software yet before you go in.

GRRRRRRRRRRR…..
Old 05-10-2017, 06:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT; i3 BEV
Things may have changed, but originally, any i3 software reprogramming was done by the car being connected to the dealer's computer, which then made a link to the servers in Germany, and the software was loaded from there...IOW, it was not hosted in the dealership, it was pushed to them for that specific car and was VIN specific. To work properly, the package seems to know the whole vehicle's exact configuration and age of the included modules so that the right software can be loaded. One, generic, package doesn't appear to work, so the dealership doesn't have the actual data files to load.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: i3 Rex
Can't get the fix soon enough

We happen to bring our 2017 i3Rex in for another recall and unfortunately got the software upgrade.
We live in the countryside on time of-of-use solar and so without the low-cost option, we have to wake up in the middle of the night and plug our car in to get the proper charging.

And we have no idea how long it will be like this!

Releasing the software with this bug is really inexcusable in this day and age. BMW you should do better than this!!!

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
bmw i3 service action, bmw news, bmw service action, si b61 23 17

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i > BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search