Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i > BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)

BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)
The BMW i3 and BMW i8 are the first two cars launch under BMW's new sub brand BMW i. The i3 is an all carbon fiber, all electric vehicle meant for urban mobility.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:15 AM

Mein Auto: i3 REx
programming key to lock and fold in outside mirrors.

how does one go about setting up the key to lock the door and fold in the mirrors?

I looked into the owner's manual and on you tube, but there isn't explicit instructions. The owner's manual indicate that 3 profiles and 1 guest profile can be saved, but it's rather vague on how to go about setting everything else up.

Advertisement
Old 06-03-2017, 10:51 AM
Certified Car Nut

Mein Auto: i01 Rex
If you press and hold the lock button on the remote, does it fold the mirrors and roll up the windows? If not, in what part of WA are you? I can check on the programming for that.
Gone: 01 e39 540iA
Old 06-03-2017, 11:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT; i3 BEV
Anything other than what is available in the I-drive menu would have to be programmed independently outside of the BMW dealership network...IOW, while some of those things are enabled in some markets, BMWUSA and corporate make decisions on what is good for Americans. An example is, while the rear hatch has the lights in it for fog lights, they neither provide the same switch, nor enable it's function on the i3 for the USA. I guess they feel Americans aren't good enough drivers to use them properly, which is probably true for the majority...on cars with front fog lights, I see so many people leaving them on all the time in fair weather, or foul. Those aren't as bad as people the have rear fog lights and leave them on constantly. What is 'standard' in any country can change based on the whim of corporate and/or the interaction with customer demands.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:10 AM

Thank you. Me, being a tech junky, I became so curious over what else can I try to change without causing too much grief. I like this car very much and so does the rest of the extended family.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 06-07-2017, 09:18 AM
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsrelative View Post
Thank you. Me, being a tech junky, I became so curious over what else can I try to change without causing too much grief. I like this car very much and so does the rest of the extended family.
Happy to show you the coding ropes if you're proximate to SEA.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT; i3 BEV
Many parameters in BMW car's computer systems are parameter driven and with the right software, you can change the pointer in the table to utilize a different parameter. It helps if you read German, though, although people have decoded a good number of them. If you always make a backup of what is there, and your changes don't do what you want, you can restore the original. This allows them to tailor the car's characteristics for different markets easily. Note, a firmware update to the car will restore things to the local country's defaults, so you may need to redo things which will entail finding the latest parameter list and structure decodes.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: BMW i3 REX
Hey guys, new i3 owner here. Can that be coded, does anyone know? I'm supposed to have mine coded next week and want to see what all is possible and make a list to let the guy know.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:45 PM

I just came back from BMW Seattle. The person installing my license plate said it can be done, but they won't do it because it's something not part in the US. He said in the European markets, it is offered and done there. Oh well for me. I'll need to do some deeper research. It can't be that terribly difficult - I think

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 06-08-2017, 02:20 PM

i'm in mill Creek, Washington. the holding down the lock button for an extended period of time 5 to 9 seconds does nothing on the remote. If I hold down the unlock button on the remote, the windows go down and the doors unlock
Old 06-08-2017, 03:14 PM
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsrelative View Post
I just came back from BMW Seattle. The person installing my license plate said it can be done, but they won't do it because it's something not part in the US. He said in the European markets, it is offered and done there. Oh well for me. I'll need to do some deeper research. It can't be that terribly difficult - I think
Again, happy to help with the coding. I'm up by U Village.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i > BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search