Help needed! stalling and rough idle 325i e46 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-11-2017, 06:10 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E46 325i 2001
Help needed! stalling and rough idle 325i e46

Hey guys,

I have a 2001 325i e46 (automatic) and I'm having issues with it running.

the idle is extremely rough and often the revs die then pick back up then die and pick back up before eventually stalling (watch video below). It happens every morning and when the car has been sitting for a while during the day, when I'm applying the throttle it doesn't effect it. Its only when the engine is idling.

When i apply the break hard the idle also revs up and down before stalling which is dangerous and annoying because you loose you power steering and coming off the highway it isnt idle

I have recently tried a few things and i have listed them below:
- replace fuel filter
- replace plugs
- replace MAF sensor
- new air filter
- new intake throttle gasket
- check intake elbow for rips
- clean the idle control valve with carburettor cleaner

Initially i thought it was an air leak so with the engine running i push down on the elbow and the engine would stall and i found the actual intake throttle was loose of the engine believe it or not.
I tightened it thought that would be the issue fixed..... no go.

Its getting progressively worse to the point where it stalls at almost every intersection where i stop for more than 5 seconds until the car warms up then it seems to not be as bad.

I sprayed carburettor cleaner around the elbow and manifold and it didn't rev up at all so I'm assuming there is no leak there. Its almost like it may be a fuel issue? Because the car settles at about 600-800rpm before diving repeatedly and returning to 600-800rpm before eventually dying.

I also replaced the fuel filter about 4 years ago with a cheap after market one so maybe it could be that?

I was just wondering if anyone has had the same issue and what they did to fix it as i am stumped. I have read maybe the DISA valve replacement?

Any direction would be much appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=Wr60W5OG4xU_a_

Last edited by muzz13; 07-14-2017 at 06:39 PM.
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2017, 06:41 AM

Not sure if my post is invisible or people genuinely have no clue what is going on with the car.... my thread seems to be the only one without a bloody reply.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz13 View Post
Not sure if my post is invisible or people genuinely have no clue what is going on with the car.... my thread seems to be the only one without a bloody reply.
It's not invisible lol, I've read it and honestly have no idea what that may be... I'd say get a diagnosis on it... good luck!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz13 View Post
Hey guys,

I have a 2001 325i e46 (automatic) and I'm having issues with it running.

the idle is extremely rough and often the revs die then pick back up then die and pick back up before eventually stalling (watch video below). It happens every morning and when the car has been sitting for a while during the day, when I'm applying the throttle it doesn't effect it. Its only when the engine is idling.

When i apply the break hard the idle also revs up and down before stalling which is dangerous and annoying because you loose you power steering and coming off the highway it isnt idle

I have recently tried a few things and i have listed them below:
- replace fuel filter
- replace plugs
- replace MAF sensor
- new air filter
- new intake throttle gasket
- check intake elbow for rips
- clean the idle control valve with carburettor cleaner

Initially i thought it was an air leak so with the engine running i push down on the elbow and the engine would stall and i found the actual intake throttle was loose of the engine believe it or not.
I tightened it thought that would be the issue fixed..... no go.

Its getting progressively worse to the point where it stalls at almost every intersection where i stop for more than 5 seconds until the car warms up then it seems to not be as bad.

I sprayed carburettor cleaner around the elbow and manifold and it didn't rev up at all so I'm assuming there is no leak there. Its almost like it may be a fuel issue? Because the car settles at about 600-800rpm before diving repeatedly and returning to 600-800rpm before eventually dying.

I also replaced the fuel filter about 4 years ago with a cheap after market one so maybe it could be that?

I was just wondering if anyone has had the same issue and what they did to fix it as i am stumped. I have read maybe the DISA valve replacement?

Any direction would be much appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=Wr60W5OG4xU_a_
Old 06-13-2017, 10:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bmw 325xi
read this, everybody is busy fixing what's wrong with their BMW too

this and cooling system problems are too common that you can find a lot of resources on google and youtube.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=897616

https://www.facebook.com/diybmwe46/
Old 06-16-2017, 08:43 PM

haha all good, thanks for the input. I'll let you know if i come up with an answer!
Old 06-17-2017, 05:04 AM

Mein Auto:
Your engine has vacuum leaks. Have the intake system smoke tested.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw
If you have cleaned the idle control valve, throttle body and replaced the plugs. The only main culprit would be a vacuum leak, possibly in the lower intake boot. If that's not it read the codes and if you find nothing then take it to the mechanic or dealership and get it diagnosed. You don't want to keep spending without a guaranteed fix.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 07-14-2017, 06:34 PM

hey guys just if anyone is interested I fixed the issue. Was the CCV underneath the manifold! the hose going from the the CCV to the oil dipstick was completely snapped off!

Went to a garage and had it code tested a couple of cylinders weren't running properly and other cylinders were trying to compensate for the ones not running correctly. He also said the car isnt heating up properly to 90 degree which is making it run rough too. He told me what it most likely was and i dropped him off a box of beers for his help cause he was spot on the money!

I bought a new thermostat, CCV with the hoses and a few other maintenance things that i thought i might as well do at the same time like steering bushes and brake pads etc from a website he suggested called www.clickableautomotive.com.au which is all after market BMW parts made in Germany and Turkey I think. Great site. Cost only $398 AUD for all that to with next day delivery!

I managed to replace the CCV and the hoses without removing the manifold to which was handy, but it would be definitely easier to do taking it off, make sure you get a manifold gasket to if you decide to go that way. Doing it without taking the manifold off was definitely doable but you just need patience haha. I posted the links to the videos i followed on Youtube which explained everything really well.

All idling and stalling issues are completely gone now and the car runs like new!

PART 1 of CCV replacement

PART 2 of CCV replacement

Video for thermostat replacement

to get the fan off on my car i needed a special tool to hold the two bolts on the fan clutch while you turn the fan as hitting the wrench hard didn't loosen it off. I didn't have one so i made one with an angle grinder and a spare bit of metal laying round in the shed. The link below is to another thread on here where someone kindle put the dimensions up so we could make the tool!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=254623

Hope this helps someone in need!
Old 07-14-2017, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 550i MT
1997 Saab 9000 //sold

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
325i 2001 automatic, advice, air leak, e46 bmw, mechanical help, rough idle, stalling

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search