Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-11-2017, 10:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10 N52 RWD
Have You Considered Ditching The RFT's?

My car came with Goodyear RFT's when i first bought it. Not only did these tires perform like garbage, but they were expensive too. Dangerous in the snow and rain and just about acceptable over dry pavement at the very best.

I was very happy when I finally replaced these tires with Pilot super sports. These tires are simply outstanding performers. Excellent steering response, stellar grip in both dry or rain with tons of predictablity. Even at the absolute limit they still hold the line! They wear quickly but on the flip side they are smoother and quieter then any runflat while easily maintaining exponentially higher levels of performance. Ditching my run flats was one of the best things I've ever done to my car. You may want to grab some camber plates so you can do a full alignment and adjust the front camber to make the most out of the new, non run flat sidewall.

I have a tire patch kit, a spare tire and a jack in the trunk for those of you curious.

If you have a set of winter tires or don't drive in snow, I suggest skipping the pilot sports and going straight to the pilot super sports. The normal sport version isn't good in the snow despite being "all season" and they don't seem to wear any slower then the full out super sports, so may as well go all out.
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2017, 04:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328i X-Drive Exc

I just got rid of the run flats last week. Best decision ever. Got Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3+. Super tire. Car now does not feel heavy in handling and drives like a dream. I do not have a spare but have CAA. Had to weigh pros and cons. I have never, in all my years of driving ever had to use a spare tire. Never saying I won't but I am OK with a CAA tow. If the family goes on road trips we will just take our SUV with a spare. I also will not drive the 328 in winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 06-12-2017, 06:12 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i Convertable
I replaced mine about 6 months ago with Pilot Sports and I'm glad I did. I put about 80 highway miles on it a day and it really makes for a more comfortable, responsive ride. No real concerns about a spare -- I'll be dependent on AAA.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 06-12-2017, 06:47 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw 335is
Is there a reason you didnt go for the pilot 4s? They're better in every way and last longer too.

I had winter runflats on my first bmw, i didnt know any better so they performed just fine to me. Then summer came along and it wasnt until i got the pilot sport as3 that i realized how garbage runflats are. Crazy how much tires can really transform a car.

I just know im never using runflats ever again.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:27 AM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by F10-N52 View Post
My car came with Goodyear RFT's when i first bought it. Not only did these tires perform like garbage, but they were expensive too. Dangerous in the snow and rain and just about acceptable over dry pavement at the very best.

Did I see exactly the same post in another forum? Dude you're preaching to the choir here.....many many many many many posts/threads sayin' above since 2006.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayItAintTom View Post
Is there a reason you didnt go for the pilot 4s? They're better in every way and last longer too.

I had winter runflats on my first bmw, i didnt know any better so they performed just fine to me. Then summer came along and it wasnt until i got the pilot sport as3 that i realized how garbage runflats are. Crazy how much tires can really transform a car.

I just know im never using runflats ever again.
A run flat is a runflat, but you can blame the poor performance of your previous tire on the fact it was designed for the winter.

I bought new rims and tires for the summer and they already came with PSS 3 tires. The tread on them was quite good so I decided to keep them. Next time I have to buy new tires, I'm still gonna go with the super sports because I already have a dedicated set for the winter.

My friend has pilot sports and I truly do not see why anyone would ever need more grip, but honestly they don't wear any slower then the super sports and they aren't good in the snow so why not step up to the super sports? It does feel better in the summer over the all seasons.

Last edited by F10-N52; 06-12-2017 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:02 AM

The gazelle and shiftylee

You never know what may happen - I think it's still best to carry a spare with you just in case. My dad would get a flat tire sometimes but the only time it ever happened to him in at least 20 years of driving was when he drifted too far off the road and hit a sharp piece of metal so as long as you're careful you should be okay, but personally I still wouldn't risk it.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 550i M-Sport~2015 X1
Does BMW provide mounting brackets for spare wheels, jacks and a lug wrench or do they move around inside the trunk?
Old 06-12-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:

You never know what may happen - I think it's still best to carry a spare with you just in case. My dad would get a flat tire sometimes but the only time it ever happened to him in at least 20 years of driving was when he drifted too far off the road and hit a sharp piece of metal so as long as you're careful you should be okay, but personally I still wouldn't risk it.
I hear ya, but I cart three kids in my 328 so the trunk is usually full of all their stuff. Yes, I should take the SUV when I take the kids...but I do like the fact that the 328 is less of a gas guzzler. So my son's sports stuff - baseball gear and lawn chairs and cooler are all in the trunk. No room for a spare tire.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i, 2004 X5 4.4L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty34 View Post
Does BMW provide mounting brackets for spare wheels, jacks and a lug wrench or do they move around inside the trunk?
Not directly but you can make it if you like to have spare taking most of your trunk.
I don't have spare and don't have nightmares. Jack, small compressor, /repair kit and lug wrench all fit under the trunk floor. If tire is blown to the point that it can not be repaired - I will call service/towing..
And probability that I am in the middle of nowhere where there is no phone service and no cars passing by and I get tire blown beyond repair is so low that if I worried about that I would never leave my house afraid of tunder strike plus when I go for such a trip and can not handle the risk - I would throw the spare in the trunk w/o bolting it down..
Old 06-12-2017, 11:17 AM
RLTW

Mein Auto: 2013 LMB 335is
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY DUE View Post
Did I see exactly the same post in another forum? Dude you're preaching to the choir here.....many many many many many posts/threads sayin' above since 2006.
How the hell else do you get 1500+ posts in three months? The ban hammer was swift and brutal over on E90post.

2013 LMB 335is | DCT | FAST
Old 06-12-2017, 11:22 AM

Mein Auto: '09 E93 335 & '13 F10 528
I hadn't had a tire issue that left me stranded from 1994 until 2015... In 2015 I got a low pressure warning on on rear passenger tire. Stopped, looked at it, apart from it being low on air it looked fine. Manual says (in the worst case) you should be able to get 30 miles at 50mph on 0psi in the tire (best case is 155 miles at 50mph!). I didn't even get 10 miles at 40mph before it shredded and I had to pull over again and call AAA.

I took the opportunity to switch to non-runflats - as what's the point of living with all the negatives of run-flats when my single experience of them was terrible.

I put Michelin Pilot Super Sports on (AMAZING tires - that can be run year-round here) and never looked back. I carry a BMW mobility kit in the trunk, which is very small, and a AAA card which is is even smaller. If I ever have a flat I'll call AAA before even thinking about the trying the mobility kit lol.

"Mods": Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Smartop. Tune2Air WMA3000B. Lux H8 180 Angel Eyes. #sostockithurts
Old 06-12-2017, 11:58 AM
Found the Search Button

Mein Auto: 2007 E92 328i, 2013 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBimmer View Post
How the hell else do you get 1500+ posts in three months? The ban hammer was swift and brutal over on E90post.

That would explain a lot... like the semi-weekly posts about his exhaust setup, and oil.
2006 325i (E90) - SOLD - projector headlights, blackline taillights - satin grilles - shadowline trim - style 338 wheels
2000 ML430 - SOLD - heavily modded, I miss that truck
Old 06-13-2017, 04:14 AM

Quote:

Also...as I am completely not mechanically inclined...the one and only time i tried to jack up a car was an old, old Nissan Sentra that was rusty. I had a really basic ultra small crank jack and unfortunately the jack points in the car either were rusted out or close to it. The mistakes I made when jacking the car up were all mine so I take full responsibility for what happened next. I got the front right tire off but they were on with such force that everytime i moved the tire iron counterclockwise the car shook violently. You can imagine what happened next. Tire off and as i was about to put the new one on, the jack point gave out and the whole car came crashing down on the front rotor. My fingers would have been amputated had they been near there. I then called CAA. Yes it may be laughable I can't change a tire but then again I can't do a lot of things and sometimes a lack of mechanical aptitude would simply yield ls to letting someone more knowledgable handle it

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

Last edited by thegazelle; 06-13-2017 at 04:15 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:23 AM

My dad is the least mechanically inclined person you will ever meet and he slapped On a donut himself no problem on the side of the road. If you have CAA then may as well do that, but being even somewhat DIY inclined (like changing coils, air filter, engine oil will help you feel more intimate with your car and that's exactly what you need with something like a BMW.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:58 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegazelle View Post
I just got rid of the run flats last week. Best decision ever. Got Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3+. Super tire. Car now does not feel heavy in handling and drives like a dream. I do not have a spare but have CAA. Had to weigh pros and cons. I have never, in all my years of driving ever had to use a spare tire. Never saying I won't but I am OK with a CAA tow. If the family goes on road trips we will just take our SUV with a spare. I also will not drive the 328 in winter.
I got the same, the A/S3+ in Toronto. After using dedicated winters for two seasons, the A/S3+ did quite well on our plowed streets. I've already put my plug kit to use though - ran over a metal screw.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:59 PM

My friend has these tires and they didn't do so great in fluffy snow. Great performance in the dry or rain for an all season though.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
My friend has these tires and they didn't do so great in fluffy snow. Great performance in the dry or rain for an all season though.
Does he have the "Plus" version? I was surprised how well mine did all winter, but I never encountered deep snow.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAG View Post
Does he have the "Plus" version? I was surprised how well mine did all winter, but I never encountered deep snow.
I believe so, but I am not certain. It great in light snow for such a high performance all season, but I personally don't see any reason not to just go for the pilot super sports if you don't drive in snow or have a winter set.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:50 PM

Mein Auto: e90 330d
I have treplaced my RFT with Falken tyres on my 330d .
Amazing difference esp.quietness.
Dealer assures me the mileage .handling etc etc much superior
Here in Aus the prices would make you “privileged “ wince but these Falkens 453 are reasonable

Sent from my LG-H815 using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 06-15-2017, 04:28 PM

Mein Auto: 09 X5d - 06 325i
I recently switched back to RFT tires on my daughters 325i. Normally I would not do this but I picked up a set of wheels/RFT tires for $100 that were nicer than what she currently had. Plus she is 16 so RFT makes sense for her. We live in FL so the comfort aspect is not an issue for us. I do like the on center feel of the RFTs. The car was engineered to have them from the factory. Non RFT feel slightly mushy to me even though they ultimately grip better. Cost wise RFT and non-RFT are getting much closer together. It is the wear issue that mostly keeps me away.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: Toyota Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porando View Post
Jack, small compressor, /repair kit and lug wrench all fit under the trunk floor.
I've had a Prius w/out spare for five years. Here's the kit you should have. It's quite compact:

1) BlackJack tire plug kit. It's pro quality.

2) Air compressor which attaches to 12V socket

3) Jack & lug wrench

4) Pliers. You'll have to pull the nail out. Sears sells a nice set of 3 pliers in a case. One is a cutter, for cutting the tire plug flush to tire surface

5) Disposable gloves

6) Small bottle of dish soap

7) Spray bottle (it will leak if stored full)

8) Bottled water, sealed
9) Headlight-type flashlight

The soapy water is very important because sometimes, even if you fully inflate the tire and hear the air hissing out, you can't find the leak.

Tire slime kits are really bad, because they'll ruin the TPMS sensor and require cleaning all the goop off the wheel and tire. Don't use them.

Last edited by Rebound; Today at 06:52 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search