Another Lexus Conquest - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 BMW 340i xDrive
Another Lexus Conquest

Hey Everyone!

I just pulled the trigger on a lease of a 2017 BMW 340i xDrive M-Sport with M Performance Power & Sound. I don't think I have buyer's remorse, but I feel that I'll be missing a couple of features and benefits even though I ticked all the option boxes. I'm trading my 2016 Lexus IS350 AWD F-Sport with all options.

I'm sure I'll feel better when I'm enjoying the unrivaled driving dynamics, but here's what I feel I'll be missing:

- Ventilated Seats
- Mark Levinson Audio (The Harman Kardon sounds okay, but lacking in richness of sound. Maybe adjusting the advanced equalizer settings will help)
- Radar guided cruise control and pre-collision safety
- LCD gauges vs. the tired old 90s style BMW instrumentation
- Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0 vs. Estoril Blue (the 5 stage Lexus paint has incredible depth)
- Impeccable dealership customer service
- Reliability?

It may seem to many people that I'm nitpicking but I'm just being honest with how I feel. Also, although our cars are inanimate objects, I've got a stinging pang of guilt for giving up on Sonic (the name I'd given my Lexus).
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2017, 12:19 PM
Bimmerfest.com Founder

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Welcome aboard! I moved your thread to our F30 3 Series forum, you'll get more feedback in here from other owners.

Tim
Old 06-13-2017, 01:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 335 xdrive M-Sport
Seems to me that based on the way you feel you should not be getting that car.
Just keep the Lexus and stay happy
Old 06-13-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK2348 View Post
Seems to me that based on the way you feel you should not be getting that car.
Just keep the Lexus and stay happy
My opinion may change once I take delivery. Thanks for the warm welcome
Old 06-13-2017, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335x Manual
Welcome to the 'fest. I think once you plant your right foot, you wil have no regrets. The only things you can't really fix are the cooled seats and maybe the cruise. I am not up to speed on the driver assistance package to know it s capabilities. The plus side you can really customize the car via coding (see the coding forum) in terms of comfort and convenience plus the more adventurous also do engine tweaks (not me). On the gauge side analog is proven to be the easiest to "read" ask a fighter pilot. 2 inches or about 5 cm in diameter allows you to glance and read without staring (or so I have been told). I cam from Acura and at least the dealer near me has been wonderful. I have 2013 that I got used a year ago, based on service history and my experience no issues. Enjoy your new ride.

PS sound systems can always be upgraded
Old 06-13-2017, 02:35 PM

Mein Auto: 435 Grand Coupe MSport
Welcome to bimmerfest!

Why not tell us why you chose the BMW as well?
2016 435 Grand Coupe Estoril Blue MSport |Hex. EB Trim-Blk. Dakota | MSoort | Technology | Drivers Asst. | Drivers Assist+|Lighting |Track Pack W/ 442 Wheels |Heated Frnt Seats | Smartphone Integration | HK Stereo (His)

2016 X5 XDrive35d Space Grey |Blk Dakota W/ Fineline Oak | MSport | Lighting Pack | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | ACC W Stop N Go | 20" Wheels| Smartphone Integration | Multi Contour Seats | HK Stereo (hers)

BMW CCA #477341
Old 06-13-2017, 02:40 PM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Welcome to Bimmerfest, Kimchiguy! Did you get manual transmission on your new 340i? That's one thing that truly sets the F30 3-Series apart.

Last edited by gkr778; 06-13-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:23 PM
Novice driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimchiguy View Post
- Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0 vs. Estoril Blue (the 5 stage Lexus paint has incredible depth)
Estoril Blue isn't anything special at all. The fact that BMW has the audacity to charge $550 extra for this and other metallic paint colors on F3x cars is BS.

The multi-layered, four-bake process used for Lexus' Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0 exterior paint was formerly reserved for concept cars and high end custom jobs. The $595 Lexus charges for this color is a bargain.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:29 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Hey Everyone!

I just pulled the trigger on a lease of a 2017 BMW 340i xDrive M-Sport with M Performance Power & Sound. I don't think I have buyer's remorse, but I feel that I'll be missing a couple of features and benefits even though I ticked all the option boxes. I'm trading my 2016 Lexus IS350 AWD F-Sport with all options.

I'm sure I'll feel better when I'm enjoying the unrivaled driving dynamics, but here's what I feel I'll be missing:

- Ventilated Seats
- Mark Levinson Audio (The Harman Kardon sounds okay, but lacking in richness of sound. Maybe adjusting the advanced equalizer settings will help)
- Reliability?

It may seem to many people that I'm nitpicking but I'm just being honest with how I feel. Also, although our cars are inanimate objects, I've got a stinging pang of guilt for giving up on Sonic (the name I'd given my Lexus).
Annyong haseyo?

Something must be driving (pun kind of intended) you to change. You have a 2016 IS350. It would appear there's something about it you're pretty dissatisfied with, because you're going to take a pretty big financial hit making this trade.

Present - '06 E90 330i sport; Past - '04 E46 ZHP, '00 E46 328i
www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Last edited by tturedraider; 06-13-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgossin View Post
Welcome to the 'fest. I think once you plant your right foot, you wil have no regrets. The only things you can't really fix are the cooled seats and maybe the cruise. I am not up to speed on the driver assistance package to know it s capabilities. The plus side you can really customize the car via coding (see the coding forum) in terms of comfort and convenience plus the more adventurous also do engine tweaks (not me). On the gauge side analog is proven to be the easiest to "read" ask a fighter pilot. 2 inches or about 5 cm in diameter allows you to glance and read without staring (or so I have been told). I cam from Acura and at least the dealer near me has been wonderful. I have 2013 that I got used a year ago, based on service history and my experience no issues. Enjoy your new ride.

PS sound systems can always be upgraded
You've given me a lot to think about, and helped eased my fears. Thanks for the insights! At the end of the day, the BMW is a true driver's car.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
Estoril Blue isn't anything special at all. The fact that BMW has the audacity to charge $550 extra for this and other metallic paint colors on F3x cars is BS.

The multi-layered, four-bake process used for Lexus' Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0 exterior paint was formerly reserved for concept cars and high end custom jobs. The $595 Lexus charges for this color is a bargain.

I'll definitely miss the attention that the Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0 attracts but at the same time people knew where I was in the city since this bright blue Lexus isn't as common as BMW, Mercedes and Audi. I guess the bark of the exhaust will garner enough attention lol.

I ended up getting what the dealer had in stock - 8 speed auto. Thanks for the welcome! I look forward to joining the community.

Last edited by Kimchiguy; 06-13-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Annyong haseyo?

Something must be driving (pun kind of intended) you to change. You have a 2016 IS350. It would appear there's something about it you're pretty dissatisfied with, because you're going to take a pretty big financial hit making this trade.
I'm actually not taking as much of a financial hit as you'd think based on the deal I'm getting. To be honest, there was nothing wrong with the Lexus but it's the second IS350 I've had in a row. Out of sheer curiosity I dropped into a dealership to check out the BMW and fell in love with the new b58 engine along with the exhaust crackle and pop of the M Power and Sound package. With the pretty decent resale value of the Lexus and $7,500 off MSRP of the BMW I'm not really losing anything. I tried cross shopping the Audi S4 but they couldn't come anywhere close to the interest rates and incentives of BMW.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
Welcome to bimmerfest!

Why not tell us why you chose the BMW as well?
Ever since I toured the 3 Series factory in Munich I had vowed that one day I'd look at getting into a BMW. I guess the timing was right!
Old 06-13-2017, 11:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post

that front end is plain ugly

2016 328xi GT, A86, LCOM, ZDA, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, 494, 5AC, 5DF, 5DL, BMS Stage 1, Many coded goodies. ED 8-28-2015
Old 06-13-2017, 11:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 330i
Quote:
Ever since I toured the 3 Series factory in Munich I had vowed that one day I'd look at getting into a BMW. I guess the timing was right!
either you got a screaming deal on that Lexus, or the BMW dealer is giving you a screaming deal, OR you like losing money on cars.

2016 328xi GT, A86, LCOM, ZDA, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, 494, 5AC, 5DF, 5DL, BMS Stage 1, Many coded goodies. ED 8-28-2015
Old 06-14-2017, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle11 View Post
either you got a screaming deal on that Lexus, or the BMW dealer is giving you a screaming deal, OR you like losing money on cars.
I got a really good deal on the Lexus, and then an even better deal on the BMW.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i Xdrive M Sport
Why buy a new car If you like your old one? Makes no sense to me. Go spend your money somewhere else.

Sent from my Galaxy S8+
Old 06-14-2017, 04:39 AM

Mein Auto: 435i Gran Coupe
Quote:
Hey Everyone!

- Ventilated Seats
- Reliability?

Congrats on the purchase - based on your list, I think the biggest things you'll miss are the ventilated seats and the active cruise (unless you purchased the option).

The "upgraded" audio systems on these cars are still pretty much junk so there's not alot to miss there. Mark Levinson and Harmon Kardon are B listers at best in the ears of an audiophile. The B&O/B&W on the 5+ series make those audio systems sound like monkey beating a drum with a banana.

If you purchased the tech package or however HUD comes packaged these days, you won't find yourself using much on the instrument cluster so LCD vs traditional gauges is a fairly moot point.

Dealers can be hit or miss. All you can really do there is shop the ones with good reviews for the service dept and try and build a relationship with a middle-aged SA. I find the younger ones tend to move on and the older ones retire/quit.

From a reliability standpoint, Lexus is top notch. The Mx on my wife's SUV has been pretty much limited to fluids, tires, and brakes. My F36 has been impeccable through its first 40k though - so who knows, maybe BMW is catching up.

2015 BMW 435i GC MSport (ED Sept 29, 2014)
2004 BMW 530i (retired)
Old 06-14-2017, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigology View Post
Why buy a new car If you like your old one? Makes no sense to me. Go spend your money somewhere else.

Sent from my Galaxy S8+
The same could be said about buying a luxury car to begin with. Why not get a Toyota Corolla and put the money towards a mortgage or travel instead?
Old 06-14-2017, 05:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i Xdrive M Sport
Quote:
The same could be said about buying a luxury car to begin with. Why not get a Toyota Corolla and put the money towards a mortgage or travel instead?
That is besides my point. If you have a modern luxury car and you like it, in what logic does it make sense to buy a new car?

Sent from my Galaxy S8+
Old 06-14-2017, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlink View Post
Congrats on the purchase - based on your list, I think the biggest things you'll miss are the ventilated seats and the active cruise (unless you purchased the option).

The "upgraded" audio systems on these cars are still pretty much junk so there's not alot to miss there. Mark Levinson and Harmon Kardon are B listers at best in the ears of an audiophile. The B&O/B&W on the 5+ series make those audio systems sound like monkey beating a drum with a banana.

If you purchased the tech package or however HUD comes packaged these days, you won't find yourself using much on the instrument cluster so LCD vs traditional gauges is a fairly moot point.

Dealers can be hit or miss. All you can really do there is shop the ones with good reviews for the service dept and try and build a relationship with a middle-aged SA. I find the younger ones tend to move on and the older ones retire/quit.

From a reliability standpoint, Lexus is top notch. The Mx on my wife's SUV has been pretty much limited to fluids, tires, and brakes. My F36 has been impeccable through its first 40k though - so who knows, maybe BMW is catching up.
Thanks for the constructive feedback! Unfortunately active cruise control along with the Driving Assistance Plus Package is not available with the M-Sport and Performance packages here in Canada.

You make a very valid point that factory audio systems will never come close to customized aftermarket. And I've never had a HUD so perhaps that will definitely compensate for the basic instrument cluster.

Glad to hear that your experience with reliability has been positive - regardless of manufacturer it's always a bit of a gamble to see how it fares. A friend of mine had a 2016 IS300 that was plagued with issues.

Once again, thanks for the positive words of encouragement. It appears that some on this forum cannot understand that in my relentless pursuit of perfection I have decided to seek out the ultimate driving experience instead!
Old 06-14-2017, 06:12 AM

Mein Auto: 435 Grand Coupe MSport
Quote:
Thanks for the constructive feedback! Unfortunately active cruise control along with the Driving Assistance Plus Package is not available with the M-Sport and Performance packages here in Canada.

You make a very valid point that factory audio systems will never come close to customized aftermarket. And I've never had a HUD so perhaps that will definitely compensate for the basic instrument cluster.

Glad to hear that your experience with reliability has been positive - regardless of manufacturer it's always a bit of a gamble to see how it fares. A friend of mine had a 2016 IS300 that was plagued with issues.

Once again, thanks for the positive words of encouragement. It appears that some on this forum cannot understand that in my relentless pursuit of perfection I have decided to seek out the ultimate driving experience instead!

Its not that, actually...

if you go back and read your first post in this thread objectively, you will notice that it basically says " I am buying a BMW but here are all the great things I love on my lexus that BMW doesnt have".

There was no counter balance argument from you on exactly why you are leaving lexus, if the BMW you are looking at does not have these options and you already miss them. In your style of post, there is normally a counter balance part of it that says " and here is why I am making the switch" but there was none of that.

So, the way it reads is you are already sort of "bashing" the BMW you have not bought yet, for the lexus you are leaving, with no explanation. Thats why you are getting some of the responses you are getting, because what you are doing makes little sense from the information you have provided.

Kinda why I asked the question I did (in part because I was curious, and in part to help you "head off" some of the posts telling you to keep your lexus). Unfortunately, you did not choose to provide any counterbalance information, so... these are the type of responses you are going to get to a post which basically bashes BMW but you are still buying it... for "some reason".

(making this post to explain, not post fingers).
2016 435 Grand Coupe Estoril Blue MSport |Hex. EB Trim-Blk. Dakota | MSoort | Technology | Drivers Asst. | Drivers Assist+|Lighting |Track Pack W/ 442 Wheels |Heated Frnt Seats | Smartphone Integration | HK Stereo (His)

2016 X5 XDrive35d Space Grey |Blk Dakota W/ Fineline Oak | MSport | Lighting Pack | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | ACC W Stop N Go | 20" Wheels| Smartphone Integration | Multi Contour Seats | HK Stereo (hers)

BMW CCA #477341
Old 06-14-2017, 06:18 AM
Novice driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle11 View Post
that front end is plain ugly
You don't have to look at IS' front end when you're driving the car. And if the IS is a RWD F-Sport variant, the driving dynamics should be among the best in the segment, maybe even better than an equivalent F30.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
[/B]

Its not that, actually...

if you go back and read your first post in this thread objectively, you will notice that it basically says " I am buying a BMW but here are all the great things I love on my lexus that BMW doesnt have".

There was no counter balance argument from you on exactly why you are leaving lexus, if the BMW you are looking at does not have these options and you already miss them. In your style of post, there is normally a counter balance part of it that says " and here is why I am making the switch" but there was none of that.

So, the way it reads is you are already sort of "bashing" the BMW you have not bought yet, for the lexus you are leaving, with no explanation. Thats why you are getting some of the responses you are getting, because what you are doing makes little sense from the information you have provided.

Kinda why I asked the question I did (in part because I was curious, and in part to help you "head off" some of the posts telling you to keep your lexus). Unfortunately, you did not choose to provide any counterbalance information, so... these are the type of responses you are going to get to a post which basically bashes BMW but you are still buying it... for "some reason".

(making this post to explain, not post fingers).
Thank you for your feedback, and clarification. This is the type of respectful response that I would be happy to respond to. Forgive me for "bashing" a vehicle and brand for which there appears to be an even stronger passion for than any others I've had. The reasons why I'm leaving Lexus can be summarized as follows:

- I've always wanted to drive a BMW but I was never at a stage in my life where the economics made sense. Twice I've chosen another brand (Infiniti and then Lexus) over a comparable BMW model based on the value.
- The AWD system in the Lexus is pretty basic, as it really only has 2 modes. 70/30 rear/front or 50/50. There are no advanced torque vectoring or front/rear adaptive modes. Even the Infiniti's ATTESA AWD was able to send 100% to the rear).
- Likely as a result of the fixed ratio power split and conservative handling dynamics, the car really plows and understeers like mad. You really have to stomp the gas to get the tail to step out even a bit. Car and Driver may have ranked the IS350 over the BMW 335i in a 2014 comparison but that was for the better balanced RWD model.
- While the Aisin 6 speed is decent, Lexus couldn't fit their really nice 8-speed auto in the AWD model. Sport+ dials up the willingness to downshift, but there is no rev-matching.
- The intake sounds great, but the exhaust leaves a lot to be desired (yes I know I could have purchased an aftermarket exhaust).
- No memory seats for a car that is driven by two people is irritating.
- Nuluxe pleather may look ok, but I want real cowhide seats.
- The Infotainment system is really awful, incredibly outdated and has low resolution graphics. I've heard that Lexus/Toyota may be severing ties with Denso (who manufactures the systems) and going with another supplier.
- It's crazy to say that in this day and age 306 HP isn't enough, but comparatively speaking to its competition it really isn't.
- While I enjoy the immediacy of normal aspiration, forced induction is much more thrilling and allows for better fuel economy (The BMW 340i is proven to be more fuel efficient than the Lexus IS350)
- The infamous grill along with the gorgeous paint may have allowed me to stand out from the crowd, but I'm looking for more substance over extreme style.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:35 AM
Novice driver

Quote:
The AWD system in the Lexus
Say no more.

With the possible exception of Audi A4, AWD is undesirable in any vehicle in the compact executive class from the perspective of driving dynamics. However, Lexus IS is the worst offender of all in terms of the negative impact of AWD. The RWD F-Sport IS delivers excellent driving dynamics; by contrast, the AWD models range from mediocre to worst in class in that regard.

Coming from an AWD IS, you should be quite satisfied by the driving experience that your new BMW F30 delivers, even though it's an xDrive model.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search