Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 BMW 340i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
Say no more.

With the possible exception of Audi A4, AWD is undesirable in any vehicle in the compact executive class from the perspective of driving dynamics. However, Lexus IS is the worst offender of all in terms of the negative impact of AWD. The RWD F-Sport IS delivers excellent driving dynamics; by contrast, the AWD models range from mediocre to worst in class in that regard.

Coming from an AWD IS, you should be quite satisfied by the driving experience that your new BMW F30 delivers, even though it's an xDrive model.
LOL yeah the AWD was added as an afterthought on the Lexus. BMW still tries to retain more of the RWD feel on their xDrive, as far as I know?
Audi's Quattro rear sport-differential with adaptive suspension felt just as nice as the BMW 340i xDrive M-Sport I tested.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:16 AM
Dat Hofmeister Kink tho

Mein Auto: 2017 F83 and 2014 335i
I just turned in my lease on a 2015 Lexus IS 250 F-Sport and picked up a 2014 CPO 335i with M-Sport package. I don't just like the BMW, I love this car. Of course coming from a 250 I knew the bimmer would be way faster but it is leaps and bounds better than that Lexus. After you get your BMW I don't think you'll miss the Lexus very much. But then again I wasn't a big fan of that guage cluster in the Lexus. I like the classic BMW gauges. I even turned off the HUD so I could look at them more.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdu8 View Post
I just turned in my lease on a 2015 Lexus IS 250 F-Sport and picked up a 2014 CPO 335i with M-Sport package. I don't just like the BMW, I love this car. Of course coming from a 250 I knew the bimmer would be way faster but it is leaps and bounds better than that Lexus. After you get your BMW I don't think you'll miss the Lexus very much. But then again I wasn't a big fan of that guage cluster in the Lexus. I like the classic BMW gauges. I even turned off the HUD so I could look at them more.
Thanks for your input - glad to hear you're enjoying your 335i! I'm starting to get more enthused as I'm waiting to hear when I can take delivery of mine.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:52 PM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: '16 428i GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimchiguy View Post
Thank you for your feedback, and clarification. This is the type of respectful response that I would be happy to respond to. Forgive me for "bashing" a vehicle and brand for which there appears to be an even stronger passion for than any others I've had. The reasons why I'm leaving Lexus can be summarized as follows:

- I've always wanted to drive a BMW but I was never at a stage in my life where the economics made sense. Twice I've chosen another brand (Infiniti and then Lexus) over a comparable BMW model based on the value.
- The AWD system in the Lexus is pretty basic, as it really only has 2 modes. 70/30 rear/front or 50/50. There are no advanced torque vectoring or front/rear adaptive modes. Even the Infiniti's ATTESA AWD was able to send 100% to the rear).
- Likely as a result of the fixed ratio power split and conservative handling dynamics, the car really plows and understeers like mad. You really have to stomp the gas to get the tail to step out even a bit. Car and Driver may have ranked the IS350 over the BMW 335i in a 2014 comparison but that was for the better balanced RWD model.
- While the Aisin 6 speed is decent, Lexus couldn't fit their really nice 8-speed auto in the AWD model. Sport+ dials up the willingness to downshift, but there is no rev-matching.
- The intake sounds great, but the exhaust leaves a lot to be desired (yes I know I could have purchased an aftermarket exhaust).
- No memory seats for a car that is driven by two people is irritating.
- Nuluxe pleather may look ok, but I want real cowhide seats.
- The Infotainment system is really awful, incredibly outdated and has low resolution graphics. I've heard that Lexus/Toyota may be severing ties with Denso (who manufactures the systems) and going with another supplier.
- It's crazy to say that in this day and age 306 HP isn't enough, but comparatively speaking to its competition it really isn't.
- While I enjoy the immediacy of normal aspiration, forced induction is much more thrilling and allows for better fuel economy (The BMW 340i is proven to be more fuel efficient than the Lexus IS350)
- The infamous grill along with the gorgeous paint may have allowed me to stand out from the crowd, but I'm looking for more substance over extreme style.
Now I understand WHY you left the Lexus for the Bimmer - I too was wondering why in the world you were moaning the loss of the items you listed in the original post. Welcome on board and can't wipe off the silly axx grin on your face whenever you push the pedal to the metal, haha!
'16 428i GC AlpWhite
Old 06-14-2017, 08:05 PM
Supporting Bimmerfest

Mein Auto: 550i F07
Quote:
- Ventilated Seats
Agreed.

Though the Lexus ventilated seats are mediocre at best.

Quote:
- Mark Levinson Audio (The Harman Kardon sounds okay, but lacking in richness of sound. Maybe adjusting the advanced equalizer settings will help)
Not a fan of the MLA. I think the HK is far superior.

Quote:
- Radar guided cruise control and pre-collision safety
Agreed.

Quote:
- LCD gauges vs. the tired old 90s style BMW instrumentation
Agreed. The Lexus gauges are not only impeccable in appearance but very easy to see/read.

Quote:
- Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0 vs. Estoril Blue (the 5 stage Lexus paint has incredible depth)
No opinion.

Quote:
- Impeccable dealership customer service
Strongly agree. Lexus' CS is the standard which every other manufacturer should adhere to. BMW is damn good too.

Quote:
- Reliability?
The Lexus is more reliable than the BMW brand name. Much more reliable. You'll see...

Welcome.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDown View Post
Now I understand WHY you left the Lexus for the Bimmer - I too was wondering why in the world you were moaning the loss of the items you listed in the original post. Welcome on board and can't wipe off the silly axx grin on your face whenever you push the pedal to the metal, haha!
Thanks buddy! I'll let you know how it goes
Old 06-14-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubrunner View Post
Agreed.

Though the Lexus ventilated seats are mediocre at best.

Not a fan of the MLA. I think the HK is far superior.

Agreed.

Agreed. The Lexus gauges are not only impeccable in appearance but very easy to see/read.

No opinion.

Strongly agree. Lexus' CS is the standard which every other manufacturer should adhere to. BMW is damn good too.

The Lexus is more reliable than the BMW brand name. Much more reliable. You'll see...

Welcome.
Thanks for your feedback, good to see that I'm not completely off the mark. Appreciate the welcome, and hope to experience the positive sides of going German.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:51 PM
Jayhawk Fan

Mein Auto: 435
Quote:
Hey Everyone!

- Reliability?

So the guy who just ditched his 2016 for a 2017 is worried about reliability. What...for the next 12 months before you snag a 2018. Good luck. I hope your car lasts a year.

Previous: 2003 540 Touring; 2001 740 Sport; 2004 330 Convertible; 2003 X3 (ED); 1998 323 Convertible

BMW CCA: 162191

Old 06-14-2017, 09:02 PM
False Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 14 435xi 14 X1 35i
Cruise control? Is that like eco-pro? Or maybe Comfort mode?

I'm sure most of our recent BMWs have had it but I don't recall using it much.
Wasn't the whole point about being involved and fun to drive?

Next thing you know they'll have transmissions that shift themselves or brakes that won't lock and skid.

Yeah, that'll be the day.

jummo
Old 06-14-2017, 10:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F80 ZCP
Quote:
And I've never had a HUD so perhaps that will definitely compensate for the basic instrument cluster.
Once you go HUD, it's annoying to go back. The fancy digital instrument cluster may look nice but I find them distracting, especially Audi's virtual cockpit.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
You don't have to look at IS' front end when you're driving the car. And if the IS is a RWD F-Sport variant, the driving dynamics should be among the best in the segment, maybe even better than an equivalent F30.
I would throw up just passing by the front end on my way to the drivers door. The interior looks like Lego blocks stacked on top of each other. That would make me puke once I made it to the drivers door.

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Old 06-15-2017, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beware_phog View Post
So the guy who just ditched his 2016 for a 2017 is worried about reliability. What...for the next 12 months before you snag a 2018. Good luck. I hope your car lasts a year.
Reliability doesn't have to mean outside of warranty. While I appreciate the feedback, some of the backlash here does very little to dispel the stereotype that BMW drivers are jerks.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paffinity View Post
Once you go HUD, it's annoying to go back. The fancy digital instrument cluster may look nice but I find them distracting, especially Audi's virtual cockpit.
Thanks, I'm interested in seeing how it works as the tester I drove never had it.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i X Drive
Quote:
Reliability doesn't have to mean outside of warranty. While I appreciate the feedback, some of the backlash here does very little to dispel the stereotype that BMW drivers are jerks.
Keep in mind that an enthusiast forum like this represents a miniscule sampling of BMW drivers in general.
2013 Audi Q5 Cuvee Silver/Black/Prem. Plus/19'/MMI/B&O/3M tint (sold)
Old 06-15-2017, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobinIl View Post
Keep in mind that an enthusiast forum like this represents a miniscule sampling of BMW drivers in general.
But in these times, the Internet is reality for many. IMO some of the comments in this thread are quite mean spirited.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:53 AM
Promethean

Mein Auto: 2016 428iX Gran Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
But in these times, the Internet is reality for many. IMO some of the comments in this thread are quite mean spirited.
There are many jerks lurking (and posting) on the forum... at times it's reminiscent of fraternity hazing and overall immaturity. That being said, the vast majority of posters I've encountered have been fantastic, driving enthusiasts generally, and BMW enthusiasts specifically, who won't hesitate to offer a compliment, kind word or advice. This forum has been invaluable in guiding many of my post-purchase decisions and I suggest that Kimchiguy pay the grouches no mind.

All that being said Kimchiguy, welcome... and sounds like you have a great purchase on your hands. The Mica Blue looks incredible, nothing at all negative to say about that. What I would say in defense of EBII however, is that you really have to see the car in person, and in different lights, to truly appreciate its beauty. As a current F36 EBII owner, this is hands down the best purchase I have ever made, and the attention drawn to the car, in part due to styling, but in large part due to the color, is perhaps one of the more gratifying perks of ownership.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Bobin and Michael - thanks for that, I shouldn't jump to any conclusions based on online resistance I've encountered thus far. And I suppose it's nothing new for people to hide behind the Internet as a means of being more aggressive than they normally might be.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDG View Post
There are many jerks lurking (and posting) on the forum... at times it's reminiscent of fraternity hazing and overall immaturity. That being said, the vast majority of posters I've encountered have been fantastic, driving enthusiasts generally, and BMW enthusiasts specifically, who won't hesitate to offer a compliment, kind word or advice. This forum has been invaluable in guiding many of my post-purchase decisions and I suggest that Kimchiguy pay the grouches no mind.

All that being said Kimchiguy, welcome... and sounds like you have a great purchase on your hands. The Mica Blue looks incredible, nothing at all negative to say about that. What I would say in defense of EBII however, is that you really have to see the car in person, and in different lights, to truly appreciate its beauty. As a current F36 EBII owner, this is hands down the best purchase I have ever made, and the attention drawn to the car, in part due to styling, but in large part due to the color, is perhaps one of the more gratifying perks of ownership.
Thanks for the kind and welcoming words and input. Great to see that you've had more of a positive experience overall with the other enthusiasts that you've encountered. With the overabundance of financial services and legal professionals driving BMWs in Toronto, there tends to be VERY negative perception of BMW owners as a whole. I'm hoping to find a good sense of community that I found with other Lexus owners, and even the Mazda community I was part of 15 years ago.

I suppose I haven't seen EBII under different lighting conditions to appreciate its depth and beauty. That's part of the reason why I'm always drawn to very vibrant metallic paint jobs like Red and Blue - the metal flakes give incredible sense of depth and variation. I considered the BMW Individual Tanzanite Blue but it was a bit too dark for my tastes and specially ordering would have nullified all the incentives going on right now.
Let's hope my dealer gets everything sorted and sets a delivery date for my car early next week!
Old 06-15-2017, 10:16 AM
BMW Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2012 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK2348 View Post
Seems to me that based on the way you feel you should not be getting that car.
Just keep the Lexus and stay happy
Congrats on the lease OP, but this ^ might be solid advice

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein. Trevon AKA Mini
Old 06-15-2017, 10:16 AM
Jayhawk Fan

Mein Auto: 435
Quote:
If stating the obvious makes me a jerk, then I'm a 100% jerk. Yippee!

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, perhaps you can answer the question and let us all know what reliably concerns in that first year you are concerned with overcoming in your brand new car.

Previous: 2003 540 Touring; 2001 740 Sport; 2004 330 Convertible; 2003 X3 (ED); 1998 323 Convertible

BMW CCA: 162191

Old 06-15-2017, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 335 xdrive M-Sport
Quote:
My opinion may change once I take delivery. Thanks for the warm welcome
My bad, welcome to the forum.

Why would your opinion change when you take delivery? Did you not test drive the car enough to make up your mind? Generally i would want to be pretty certain before making a decision of this sort, but hey, it's your money
Old 06-15-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beware_phog View Post
If stating the obvious makes me a jerk, then I'm a 100% jerk. Yippee!

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, perhaps you can answer the question and let us all know what reliably concerns in that first year you are concerned with overcoming in your brand new car.
Stating the obvious - how assumptive of you to understand all the parameters surrounding my choice. You're adversarial stance is 100% childish.

Not that I have ANY reason to justify my own opinions to you, but if you MUST know - two of my friends have had their BMWs dead in the water and transported by flatbed to the dealership in their first year. Is this representative of the brand and product as a whole? No. But statistically speaking it causes me mild concern, even though EVERY brand has lemons.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:49 AM
Bimmerfest.com Founder

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Lets keep this fun and friendly!

Tim
Old 06-15-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK2348 View Post
My bad, welcome to the forum.

Why would your opinion change when you take delivery? Did you not test drive the car enough to make up your mind? Generally i would want to be pretty certain before making a decision of this sort, but hey, it's your money
So maybe it IS a bit of buyer's remorse but I was definitely happy with the multiple test drives I took. It's just that period in between and waiting for the vehicle where I'm becoming my own worst enemy. Well, check that - it appears I've already made a few on this forum.

Thanks for the questions though - I'm an impulsive buyer at times and can understand why it would seem odd that I'm not over the moon ecstatic yet!
Old 06-15-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
Lets keep this fun and friendly!

Tim
Sorry Tim, it wasn't my intent to elicit such a negative response to my original post. Sometimes my direct approach can be misinterpreted.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search