Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:16 PM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Kimchiguy, hopefully the wait isn't too painful as your new 340i is prepped for delivery.

Bimmerfest has been a valuable resource for me to understand the BMW F30's quirks. Here's a summary of some notable annoyances and examples of poor design to be aware of on F30 cars:
  • Automatic climate control lacks a sync feature that applies a single temperature setpoint to both zones (on the Lexus IS, the 'DUAL' button accomplishes this)
  • Climate control fan comes on upon engine startup, even if it was off at the previous engine shutdown
  • It's necessary to pull the driver's interior door handle twice to open the locked door
  • Similarly, you'll need to press the engine start/stop button twice to shut off the engine as well as the audio system
  • Power door lock control is located in the center of the dashboard, not on the front doors
  • Orange nighttime illumination for instrument cluster is ugly
  • DDC resets to 'normal' mode at each engine restart. It's not possible to set SPORT mode in DDC as the default.
  • The automatic transmission shifter lever doesn't follow traditional PRNDL layout
Old 06-15-2017, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 BMW 340i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
Kimchiguy, hopefully the wait isn't too painful as your new 340i is prepped for delivery.

Bimmerfest has been a valuable resource for me to understand the BMW F30's quirks. Here's a summary of some notable annoyances and examples of poor design to be aware of on F30 cars:
  • Automatic climate control lacks a sync feature that applies a single temperature setpoint to both zones (on the Lexus IS, the 'DUAL' button accomplishes this)
  • Climate control fan comes on upon engine startup, even if it was off at the previous engine shutdown
  • It's necessary to pull the driver's interior door handle twice to open the locked door
  • Similarly, you'll need to press the engine start/stop button twice to shut off the engine as well as the audio system
  • Power door lock control is located in the center of the dashboard, not on the front doors
  • DDC resets to 'normal' mode at each engine restart. It's not possible to set SPORT mode in DDC as the default.
  • The automatic transmission shifter lever doesn't follow traditional PRNDL layout
Thanks for all the great tips to look out for!! Much appreciated. Especially the constructive criticism which can land you in hot water LOL

Aside from the Orange illumination I can live with those other quirks. I've heard that red and orange are the easiest for our eyes at night, since the rods pick up those colours quickest. But science be damned since I want LED electroluminescent lighting at the very least!
And correct me if I'm wrong, but all cars with some type of Sport mode needs to be reset to normal every startup in order to qualify for normal EPA fuel economy testing. Otherwise the government rankings would rate fuel economy on Sport modes.

Again, thank you for the feedback!
Old 06-15-2017, 01:07 PM
False Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 14 435xi 14 X1 35i
My comments about cruise control were not meant to be rude or inflammatory.
And if they were taken that way my apologies.

Rather it was to point out the irony in buying a car because of the way it drives
and having its self driving capabilities be of chief concern.

If a car that is fun to drive can drive itself, who benefits? Does the car have fun?

That is all, carry on. Nothing to see here.

jummo
Old 06-15-2017, 01:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimchiguy View Post
Reliability doesn't have to mean outside of warranty. While I appreciate the feedback, some of the backlash here does very little to dispel the stereotype that BMW drivers are jerks.
There are very few on this forum. It's unfortunate you bumped into one so early in your Bimmerfest career.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jummo View Post
My comments about cruise control were not meant to be rude or inflammatory.
And if they were taken that way my apologies.

Rather it was to point out the irony in buying a car because of the way it drives
and having its self driving capabilities be of chief concern.

If a car that is fun to drive can drive itself, who benefits? Does the car have fun?

That is all, carry on. Nothing to see here.

jummo
I never took offense to your sarcastically playful comments - they were the type of tongue in cheek feedback that I was hoping/expecting!

On the notion of automated cars - as someone who enjoys the drive, I wouldn't expect a vehicle to control all aspects of it! But in the very rare momentary lapse in judgement it's nice to know there is a safety mechanism to avoid collision. I've had one occurrence where my Lexus braked harder than I was depressing the pedal since it sensed the vehicle in front was coming to a stop, not simply slowing. But I guess I understand BMW's decision to offer the safety system on non M-Sport equipped models in favour of other more enthusiast focused features.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMK5 View Post
There are very few on this forum. It's unfortunate you bumped into one so early in your Bimmerfest career.
Thanks for that - good to know. Appreciate your understanding!
Old 06-15-2017, 01:59 PM
Dat Hofmeister Kink tho

Mein Auto: 2017 F83 and 2014 335i
Quote:

Also, I don't know if they changed it on the 340i but you have to hold the memory seat button down the whole time while your seat moves into position. Unless the engine is turned off and the door is opened.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:09 PM
Jayhawk Fan

Mein Auto: 435
Quote:
Stating the obvious - how assumptive of you to understand all the parameters surrounding my choice. You're adversarial stance is 100% childish.

Not that I have ANY reason to justify my own opinions to you, but if you MUST know - two of my friends have had their BMWs dead in the water and transported by flatbed to the dealership in their first year. Is this representative of the brand and product as a whole? No. But statistically speaking it causes me mild concern, even though EVERY brand has lemons.
A jerk and childish? Thanks. Anything else?

Previous: 2003 540 Touring; 2001 740 Sport; 2004 330 Convertible; 2003 X3 (ED); 1998 323 Convertible

BMW CCA: 162191

Old 06-15-2017, 03:53 PM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:

I feel I'll be missing:

>snip<

....I've got a stinging pang of guilt for giving up on Sonic (the name I'd given my Lexus).

Soooo why not stay with Lexus?

Mumble....mumble....
Old 06-15-2017, 06:00 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: M4 Cabrio - Cayenne GTS
A Lexus is a Rebadged Toyota!

I can't believe that you guys let this thread get to 59 posts without pointing that out.

I believe that is a violation of the TOU!.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Porsche Club of America
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 06-15-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
A Lexus is a Rebadged Toyota!

I can't believe that you guys let this thread get to 59 posts without pointing that out.

I believe that is a violation of the TOU!.
Annnddd I'm done. All the best, fanboys
Old 06-15-2017, 07:45 PM
2015 328x

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW 328i xdrive seda
Quote:
estoril blue isn't anything special at all. The fact that bmw has the audacity to charge $550 extra for this and other metallic paint colors on f3x cars is bs.

The multi-layered, four-bake process used for lexus' ultrasonic blue mica 2.0 exterior paint was formerly reserved for concept cars and high end custom jobs. The $595 lexus charges for this color is a bargain.

like!
Old 06-15-2017, 08:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
Quote:
Annnddd I'm done. All the best, fanboys
He's making a reference to a longstanding joke here. He's not being serious.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 340i
OP, if you're still here....all the little issues will go away once you get out on the road and put your foot down. The 340i is not BWM's most dynamic car ever; but given today's parameters for a sport sedan it is pretty impressive. If you don't feel something different once you get behind the wheel then you probably did make a mistake.

Past:
2010 GTI | Stage II
2007 Audi A4 | Stage I
2003 325i | DSG Transmission (yes, the old school one)
2001 325ci | ED | Silver | Sport | Premium
1995 318 Ti | Cosmos Black
Old 06-16-2017, 06:02 AM
2015 328x

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW 328i xdrive seda
Hey Kim, you'd think these guys were paying the bill. Wanna really burn em up? Turn the BMW in after 6 months, LOL! Whatever you do enjoy it. Your life, your money, your butt buckled in.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by beware_phog View Post
A jerk and childish? Thanks. Anything else?
Did you see Tim's warning?
Old 06-16-2017, 07:58 AM
False Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 14 435xi 14 X1 35i
Pushed over the edge by Captain Audio, that has to be a first.

I believe what we had here was a failure to communicate.

The Internet is just not that good with certain types of humor, damn you Al Gore.

Hope the OP enjoys his new car in spite of its obvious shortcomings.

jummo
Old 06-17-2017, 05:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328
Hey OP,

I just picked up my first bmw, nothing crazy just a f30 sport line xdrive. I compared a lot to Lexus as I wanted something reliable but after driving both extensively the BMW had something special that put a smile on my face. I think you will forget about those missing features in no time!

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 06-17-2017, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto: 435 Grand Coupe MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
He's making a reference to a longstanding joke here. He's not being serious.
+1

OP you wouldnt know, but captainaudio is a very nice, long standing member here. I dont know him other than posts here, but I can guarantee that this was a reference to long standing postw here on that topic, not directed at YOU.
2016 435 Grand Coupe Estoril Blue MSport |Hex. EB Trim-Blk. Dakota | MSoort | Technology | Drivers Asst. | Drivers Assist+|Lighting |Track Pack W/ 442 Wheels |Heated Frnt Seats | Smartphone Integration | HK Stereo (His)

2016 X5 XDrive35d Space Grey |Blk Dakota W/ Fineline Oak | MSport | Lighting Pack | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | ACC W Stop N Go | 20" Wheels| Smartphone Integration | Multi Contour Seats | HK Stereo (hers)

BMW CCA #477341
Old 06-17-2017, 09:16 AM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
Hope you are happy with your decision.
I just wanted to chime in and say as a "car guy", this particular paint along web that maroon color they use are very noticeable! Lots of pop.
Heck I had a pearl GS400 back in the day, and the paint was exceptional!

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 06-17-2017, 09:06 PM

Mein Auto: M Sport 428i convertible
If you are still around my Korean brother (I am 1/4 Korean myself), I made a similar move. I had BMWs in the past, and always looked longingly at them as I drove my Lexus. I traded it in for a 428i convertible and could not be happier. Welcome to the forum and enjoy the Bimmer!
2014 F33 BMW 428i convertible - Alpine White on Black Dakota leather - M Sport Package - Technology Package - Cold Weather Package - Driving Assistance Package - Premium Package - Harmon Kardon sound system
Old 06-18-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverc37 View Post
Hey OP,

I just picked up my first bmw, nothing crazy just a f30 sport line xdrive. I compared a lot to Lexus as I wanted something reliable but after driving both extensively the BMW had something special that put a smile on my face. I think you will forget about those missing features in no time!

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Thanks for that - I'm hopeful that I'll soon experience and understand the history and following that Bavaria has built up.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
+1

OP you wouldnt know, but captainaudio is a very nice, long standing member here. I dont know him other than posts here, but I can guarantee that this was a reference to long standing postw here on that topic, not directed at YOU.
Thanks to both of you - all good with captainaudio
Old 06-18-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Hope you are happy with your decision.
I just wanted to chime in and say as a "car guy", this particular paint along web that maroon color they use are very noticeable! Lots of pop.
Heck I had a pearl GS400 back in the day, and the paint was exceptional!

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Bimmerfest mobile app
Thanks - I've seen a few Estoril Blues around the city this weekend and it's starting to grow on me. But yes, Lexus paint and their insane Kaizen attention to detail produces some of the best paintjobs.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwahine11 View Post
If you are still around my Korean brother (I am 1/4 Korean myself), I made a similar move. I had BMWs in the past, and always looked longingly at them as I drove my Lexus. I traded it in for a 428i convertible and could not be happier. Welcome to the forum and enjoy the Bimmer!
S'up bruh... Lol
Thanks for the welcome - I'll stick around since there seems to be some decent people here with insightful advice!

Glad you're happy with yours! I always get envious of the BMW convertibles I see around town and was considering one too until I realized that we only get 2 months of convertible weather here haha.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search