Newbies-Why i Bought Bimmer Thread - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i
Newbies-Why i Bought Bimmer Thread

I'm curious why other Newbies decided to buy a Bimmer. Here is my story.

I just bought my first BMW.

I've always been a Jap Car Guy. My vehicles are pretty old, I have a 1994 Altima 110k miles third car for Children. A 2008 Scion with around 100k miles and a 2004 Senna Van with 110k miles.

If it was up to me I would have just pumped money into a paint job and repairs and drive them all for another 60-100k miles. But Wifey was adamant that she wanted a new car.

So I started looking and driving cars. It's really funny because my middle daughter said to me why don't you buy a BMW or Mercedes. I shot her down big time. I said honey you can buy a BMW but it's a fortune to mantain it. Also too expensive. I went online and showed her how a simple thing like break pads were triple the cost of a Jap Car.

When I buy a car I approach it pretty unemotionally, I start from the premise that I'm open minded and I want the best deal possible.

My wife had expressed interest in a Crossover or small SUV. I looked and I just couldn't any deals. The Used were going at a price too close to the new. I had decided that I wanted a Used Car with Low Miles so the first owner could take the depreciation hit.

I also tried a Mustang and Camaro but eventually it was nixed because too impractical.

Than by accident at the dealership I ran across a 2014 BMW BMW 328i in the low 20k range. I was surprised at how low the price was.and certainly in the top part of my budget.

I test drove it and liked it a lot, than I test drove a 320i and didn't like it as much. The acceleration just didn't match the 328i and it lacked some of the luxury features like Power Seats.

I began to do some research, I called my favorite local mechanic and asked him what he thought. He told me BMW are great cars, he also confirmed that he works on them and I asked him about Tires and he told me he could get run flats at $150.00 a piece and that Oil change is $100.00 not the $150.00 that Dealers charge. So it looks like the Maintenance is around double that of the Jap Cars. Later I found out that I can get rid of the Run Flats and buy normal tires if I wish.

One other influence was that 2014 BMW come with 4 year or 50k Warranty/Maintenance. It is possible to find a 2014 with low miles that still has factory warranty. The one I ended up wih had 27k Miles /11 Months left on the warranty. It makes me feel more secure to buy a used car with factory warranty.

I really enjoyed the ride, acceleration and handling of the BMW. Kind of cool that the 328i does 0-60 in the same time as the low end Camaro's and Mustangs. Yet has room to comfortably seat 4 (5 in a pinch). Also I couldn't get used to the long fronts on them.

The vehicle that I ended up with Had a MSRP of $40,500.0 in 2014 and cost slightly under $20k. Very slightly used with only 23k miles.

I couldn't resist it, for the price of a new Econobox, I could drive a BMW comfortably equipped with Factory Warranty Remaining. In addition I really liked the idea of driving a $40k car for $20k.

This balanced out my fear of future repairs and maintenance expense.

Time will tell if buying a used BMW was a good choice. In the meantime I enjoy driving it on Sundays. Sigh... It's my Wifes car so I only get to use it on Sundays.
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2017, 12:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i xDrive
Welcome! I know the feeling since I had an older BMW E46 3-Series before and was strictly a Toyota/Honda/Acura/Lexus guy but came back to the F30.

With any car, maintenance costs can become expensive but doing preventive maintenance while purchasing parts online instead of the dealer or doing diy things yourself such as an oil change once the warranty expires will keep the costs manageable.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:18 PM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by krnlight View Post
doing preventive maintenance while purchasing parts online instead of the dealer or doing diy things yourself such as an oil change once the warranty expires will keep the costs manageable.

Several Bimmerfest sponsors sell BMW parts and accessories with a significant discount compared to regular dealer pricing.

Also, oil changes for N20 equipped BMWs should be fairly quick and easy. The cartridge style oil filter is accessible from the top of the engine.

Welcome to Bimmerfest, twothumber, and congratulations on your pre-owned F30 328i purchase!
Old 06-14-2017, 06:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328 xi wagon
At some point in my life I noticed that some of my wealthier friends who seemed to waste money buying really good things kept them really long, took care of them, and in the end they spent less than I had and enjoyed their possessions more. May something like that happen for you.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 340i M Sport
I only owned American cars. My last car, a 2005 Mustang, lasted me 12 years but it's glory days were clearly behind it. I wanted to get a new car, but I didn't really see any American cars catching my eye. A coworker needed to store his 235i while he went overseas on business so I offered to take it in. He instructed me to drive it sometimes, and holy moly the first drive I fell in love. Soon after I did some searching and found a mildly used 340i with the color I wanted, most of the options I wanted, and a reasonable price. Now it's mine. 8)
Old 06-14-2017, 10:35 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Robin128
Mein Auto: 340i M Sport 8AT
On my second bmw.

Only interested in those with grunt.

First autos ever owned and according to the kids that kick their balls into my garden...I'm ancient.

Still a kid inside but don't tare-ass or dabble.

We get pre registered new cars over here for a fraction of the cost of a personally specified.

Provided they are well serviced they are quite good...but the least troublesome car ever was a Volvo t5 s60 but not even close on the fun side and head turning respect a bmw gets.

They look great, sound great and ride great.

They do develop new engines quickly...with my b58 I'm not sure they had sorted why it uses coolant.

I might change when it's three years old and out of original warranty.

The power and 8 speed ZF auto box is one hell of a combination.

One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by twothumber View Post
I went online and showed her how a simple thing like brake pads were triple the cost of a Jap Car.
Ahh, but they last 3 times longer. I have 138,000 on my original rear pads and rotors and got 95,000 miles out of the fronts. I have a 2014 Mazda CX-5 that has had 2 complete brake changes in 55,000 miles.

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Old 06-15-2017, 02:52 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Robin128
Mein Auto: 340i M Sport 8AT
Beware the stealers making bogus assertions that pads and rotors worn out after 30,000m.

One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: 328i M Sport
I always wanted a bimmer since I was old enough to start buying cars and finally did it in my 40s. Owned a bunch of VWs along the way. Long wait but finally could afford it. Can't say I'm disappointed - next car will be a BMW as well.

2014 328 M Sport, AT, Alpine White, CR interior
Old 06-15-2017, 05:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin128 View Post
Beware the stealers making bogus assertions that pads and rotors worn out after 30,000m.
I would normally agree, but when I drove the Mazda and the pads were worn to nothing scraping the rotors that's not good. After it happened the first time I now pull the wheels and check the brakes when I rotate the tires before every 7500 mile oil change at the dealer. Mazda brakes and rotors are pure crap. They are almost half the thickness of OEM BMW pads. We are dumping it for the new 2018 X3 when it arrives at dealers.

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,

Last edited by 3284me; 06-15-2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:11 PM

Mein Auto: F30 340i & 328iM Sport
Like the OP I went through some Hondas, an Acura then I decided to get a BMW because I always wanted one. Ended up getting a GLI instead, it was a good car I actually had that car long than any other car I have ever owned,8 years My wife went through 2 Touareg's those are cool too. When the GLI had 199k on the clock I purchased a Passat, it was practical, boring. Then one day we went to a BMW Dealer ended up with a 320 & a 328. I drove the 320 for a few months, it handled great but I needed more power. I was looking for a 335, I found one but it was sold by the time I got to the dealer, they offered to let me drive the 340 and I was sold. At this point I am hooked, I enjoy driving BMW's. I am extremely happy with my 340, one day, once the 12 year old has gone to college I will get an M240, but I'm still keeping my 340. Wife wants a Tesla SUV in 2019, I'm sure I will love driving that, but it's not a BMW.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 BMW 328i
I have no brand loyalties, only preferences. Been all over the map with vehicles from Europe, Japan, least representation from the U.S.

Just bought my fifth BMW in 16 years. Last two vehicles were hybrids, and I wanted to get back to my mid-level performance roots. Been without a BMW for 6 years!

An avid reader of the automotive press, some say BMW has grown soft and lost its roots - save for the 2 series. IMO they are a "jack of all trades" and master of a few. Chiefly, it is the overall package that brings me back, a special blend of performance, ambiance, build quality, and utility.

Latest is a 2016 325i Red/Tan, purchased new 6/2017. Was a "leftover" vehicle subject to $10K "no haggle" discount, ultimately scored $11K savings.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRW70 View Post
Like the OP I went through some Hondas, an Acura then I decided to get a BMW because I always wanted one. Ended up getting a GLI instead, it was a good car I actually had that car long than any other car I have ever owned,8 years My wife went through 2 Touareg's those are cool too. When the GLI had 199k on the clock I purchased a Passat, it was practical, boring. Then one day we went to a BMW Dealer ended up with a 320 & a 328. I drove the 320 for a few months, it handled great but I needed more power. I was looking for a 335, I found one but it was sold by the time I got to the dealer, they offered to let me drive the 340 and I was sold. At this point I am hooked, I enjoy driving BMW's. I am extremely happy with my 340, one day, once the 12 year old has gone to college I will get an M240, but I'm still keeping my 340. Wife wants a Tesla SUV in 2019, I'm sure I will love driving that, but it's not a BMW.
I can relate about the 320i (0-60 in 7.1 Seconds) Lackluster, big difference from the 328i (0-60 in 5.6 Seconds).
Bet your 340i is a rocket at 0-60 in 4.7 seconds! What fun you must have that's serious acceleration.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffinlover View Post
I have no brand loyalties, only preferences. Been all over the map with vehicles from Europe, Japan, least representation from the U.S.

Just bought my fifth BMW in 16 years. Last two vehicles were hybrids, and I wanted to get back to my mid-level performance roots. Been without a BMW for 6 years!

An avid reader of the automotive press, some say BMW has grown soft and lost its roots - save for the 2 series. IMO they are a "jack of all trades" and master of a few. Chiefly, it is the overall package that brings me back, a special blend of performance, ambiance, build quality, and utility.

Latest is a 2016 325i Red/Tan, purchased new 6/2017. Was a "leftover" vehicle subject to $10K "no haggle" discount, ultimately scored $11K savings.
" a special blend of performance, ambiance, build quality, and utility. " You hit the nail on the head. Acceleration of a entry level Camaro or Mustang (0-60 in 5.6 Seconds), Comfortable & well equipped, ergonomic interior (Drivers Car). Just the right balance of sportiness and comfort. As for utility, descent gas mileage, fits 4 comfortably along with a nice size trunk. The "overall package" is great!

Oh and I'm green with envy, I love Red Bimmers. But none were for sale in my area. Sigh....

Last edited by twothumber; 06-19-2017 at 12:13 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:59 AM

Quote:
I can relate about the 320i (0-60 in 7.1 Seconds) Lackluster, big difference from the 328i (0-60 in 5.6 Seconds).
Bet your 340i is a rocket at 0-60 in 4.7 seconds! What fun you must have that's serious acceleration.
It's quite astonishing, the difference is night and day. I actually will say I miss the weight of the 320, the lackluster performance I don't miss. I also miss the 704 suspension I had on my 320, but I will remedy this in the coming months.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 06-19-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
" a special blend of performance, ambiance, build quality, and utility. " You hit the nail on the head. Acceleration of a entry level Camaro or Mustang (0-60 in 5.6 Seconds), Comfortable & well equipped, ergonomic interior (Drivers Car). Just the right balance of sportiness and comfort. As for utility, descent gas mileage, fits 4 comfortably along with a nice size trunk. The "overall package" is great!

Oh and I'm green with envy, I love Red Bimmers. But none were for sale in my area. Sigh....
Red is my favorite, even better with coral red interior! Was going to special order, but came across 3 identical red/tan 2016 328i and one 340i red/black. Simply getting back into a BMW was sufficient to overlook the red interior!!

Oh yeah, I smile more when driving now!
Old 06-19-2017, 08:07 AM
Dat Hofmeister Kink tho

Mein Auto: 2017 F83 and 2014 335i
Design. Period. I am a neat FREAK. And BMW designs their interiors and exteriors so well. Like the air vents, they have to be symmetrical. The air vents in my f30 are beautifully symmetrical. All the lines in the car are clean, the classic small round gauges in the gauge cluster look nice and clean. The interior isn't too busy. The M-Sport steering wheel is perfect. In my opinion it's the best steering wheel you can buy for this money. My 3 series doesn't come with perforated leather, it's not even an option. Which is good because I HATE perforated leather. I can't stand stuff in the little holes. Ever tried to condition perforated leather? It's a nightmare. All those little holes get filled with conditioner. The headrests are even designed beautifully. I wouldn't even consider an Audi because of those ugly god awful looking round headrests. That twin-scroll I6 isn't bad either.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto: greater phoenix
Quote:

I went the other way. I had two Prius vehicles (fully optioned if you can call it that). The cars reduced my carbon footprint (which I wanted) and also got me into the high occupancy vehicle (carpool) lane at any time.

But I missed the performance and when BMW came out with the 330e plug-in hybrid I went for it.

I am in Arizona and the ability to use a phone app to remotely turn on the AC is incredibly useful.

I have had a few issues so I have had the opportunity to drive a 2017 320i and a 2017 330i. I think that BMW has properly positioned the 330e between the 330i and the 340i. The added torque makes driving the 330e a pleasure and I think the added weight, being below the floor, adds to the handling by lowering the weight.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Red is my favorite, even better with coral red interior! Was going to special order, but came across 3 identical red/tan 2016 328i and one 340i red/black. Simply getting back into a BMW was sufficient to overlook the red interior!!

Oh yeah, I smile more when driving now!
Danger Will Robinson. If you haven't bought the car yet? I noticed that you live in SD and I live in Chino.

Black Interior gets blazing hot in our area. After I test drove a Bimmer with Black interior the area where the Sun hit was so hot it burned. And for 1/2 an hour my back was very sweaty I vowed no matter how good the deal, I wouldn't go for a black interior.

If you did get a black interior than a work around is tinting the windows.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRW70 View Post
It's quite astonishing, the difference is night and day. I actually will say I miss the weight of the 320, the lackluster performance I don't miss. I also miss the 704 suspension I had on my 320, but I will remedy this in the coming months.

I was reading the Specs the 340i has a Turbo 6 and you aren't exaggerating. My Turbo 4 has a slight turbo lag, your Turbo 6 must accelerate like a rocket the second you push in the pedal.

Well played!!
Old 06-19-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Danger Will Robinson. If you haven't bought the car yet? I noticed that you live in SD and I live in Chino.

Black Interior gets blazing hot in our area. After I test drove a Bimmer with Black interior the area where the Sun hit was so hot it burned. And for 1/2 an hour my back was very sweaty I vowed no matter how good the deal, I wouldn't go for a black interior.

If you did get a black interior than a work around is tinting the windows.
Thanks, I learned that lesson years ago. Chose black once and was so unhappy (Acura TSX) it was a great opportunity to dump a bland and uninspired vehicle.

I did make the purchase little over 1 week ago. Melbourne Red/Venetian "tan" interior. Dealership had 3 of these 328i optioned identically, and the fourth was a 330i Red/Black that was selling for $2K additional. Not even a player!

Oh yeah, we're under the influence of a heat wave, must be worse in Chino. Thus far the A/C cools down quickly. Stay cool!!
Old 06-19-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I went the other way. I had two Prius vehicles (fully optioned if you can call it that). The cars reduced my carbon footprint (which I wanted) and also got me into the high occupancy vehicle (carpool) lane at any time.

But I missed the performance and when BMW came out with the 330e plug-in hybrid I went for it.

I am in Arizona and the ability to use a phone app to remotely turn on the AC is incredibly useful.

I have had a few issues so I have had the opportunity to drive a 2017 320i and a 2017 330i. I think that BMW has properly positioned the 330e between the 330i and the 340i. The added torque makes driving the 330e a pleasure and I think the added weight, being below the floor, adds to the handling by lowering the weight.
I briefly considered the 330e but did not wish to spend the requisite funds as I'm nearing retirement! Very much wish to reduce carbon footprint, and the 328 is reasonably efficient as compared with alternatives. Last two vehicles were hybrids and I miss the performance. Next vehicle will likely be electric, allowing time for product maturity and potential availability of the Tesla 3 or similar.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Thanks, I learned that lesson years ago. Chose black once and was so unhappy (Acura TSX) it was a great opportunity to dump a bland and uninspired vehicle.

I did make the purchase little over 1 week ago. Melbourne Red/Venetian "tan" interior. Dealership had 3 of these 328i optioned identically, and the fourth was a 330i Red/Black that was selling for $2K additional. Not even a player!

Oh yeah, we're under the influence of a heat wave, must be worse in Chino. Thus far the A/C cools down quickly. Stay cool!!
Conrats on snagging the beautiful Red Exterior.

I have the Venetian Tan interior and it's fabulous. The one drawback is that I found the Mats were getting dirty fast. Maybe because it's a 2014 the carpet treatment wore off.?
My fix was to buy these 3dMAXpider Mats. They fit my 328i like a glove. Just a tad darker than the originals but the dirt just doesn't stick or show.

Glad you ended up with the Red with a Interior that's great for Heat Waves! You stay cool too.

Last edited by twothumber; 06-19-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Conrats on snagging the beautiful Red Exterior.

I have the Venetian Tan interior and it's fabulous. The one drawback is that I found the Mats were getting dirty fast. Maybe because it's a 2014 the carpet treatment wore off.?
My fix was to buy these 3dMAXpider Mats. They fit my 328i like a glove. Just a tad darker than the originals but the dirt just doesn't stick or show.

Glad you ended up with the Red with a Interior that's great for Heat Waves! You stay cool too.
Thanks much! Really like those mats from Amazon, should be extremely durable! I've already ordered a set of Cocomats with red/natural hues. Had them in my previous vehicle and love the look. Couldn't find a BMW with similar colors in their gallery; this is a representation:

Lucky you, living near Chino Airport, west coast Warbird Central!! Bummer, had to miss the recent airshow.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks much! Really like those mats from Amazon, should be extremely durable! I've already ordered a set of Cocomats with red/natural hues. Had them in my previous vehicle and love the look. Couldn't find a BMW with similar colors in their gallery; this is a representation:

Lucky you, living near Chino Airport, west coast Warbird Central!! Bummer, had to miss the recent airshow.
If you ever get a chance to come out to Mesa, AZ we have a Commemorative Air force base and you can fly on the aircraft. https://www.azcaf.org

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search