Newbies-Why i Bought Bimmer Thread - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRW70 View Post
If you ever get a chance to come out to Mesa, AZ we have a Commemorative Air force base and you can fly on the aircraft. https://www.azcaf.org

Sent from my SM-G930T using Bimmerfest mobile app
On my list! Flew last year on the Collings Foundation B-17. A blast!!
Old 06-19-2017, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
My 335i is my third Bimmer. I had a 1974 2002 in college, a 1985 535i for couple of years, then a couple of Beemers. I had a Prius when I turned 61 this year and decided it was time to have some fun while I still can. My 2014 335i is the best car I've ever owned. I pay a little more for gas, but it's worth it.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i xDrive
Brand new to the BMW world, my family cars growing up were Hondas. Fresh out of college, I bought a Toyota Celica. After that, I ended up with a Civic. After I decided to part ways with the Civic (just before 100k miles) I ended up getting into the world of leasing (but still with Honda). Leased a 2013 Civic for 2 years, then a 2015 Accord for a 3 year term (which I just ended early to get into my BMW).

I originally went in with the mindset that I would lease again, but something more fun/powerful and with AWD. I test-drove a few Audis (A3 and A4) but they were small particularly in the back seat (I have 3 kids, and while it's rare to drive all of them around in my car - my wife has 3-row SUV, it does happen sometimes). Also, because of the lack of equity I was coming in with, the attractive lease payments became not-so-attractive.

I ended up starting to look at cars I could purchase, rather than lease, for a similar monthly payment. I certainly could have gone with Honda again, and even purchased a pre-owned Accord with leather and heated seats, etc...but no AWD...and honestly still priced "high".

I hit up a local import dealership and test-drove the 328i and really enjoyed it. I enjoyed the look of the car, the feel inside, the space in the back seat, the AWD, and all the tiny little luxury amenities that end up making the car what it is. And not to mention the performance is way better than the Hondas I was driving!

I'm still kind of in shock that I actually bought a BMW, and I'm coming from a pretty conservative family (parents) when it comes to spending money so there's a little bit of that "expensive" stigma attached to the BMW badge...but in the end I feel like I got a great deal on a 3-year-old new-to-me car that outperforms the Accord for very slightly more than I could have bought a "similar" 2014 pre-owned Accord for.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadobox View Post
Brand new to the BMW world, my family cars growing up were Hondas. Fresh out of college, I bought a Toyota Celica. After that, I ended up with a Civic. After I decided to part ways with the Civic (just before 100k miles) I ended up getting into the world of leasing (but still with Honda). Leased a 2013 Civic for 2 years, then a 2015 Accord for a 3 year term (which I just ended early to get into my BMW).

I originally went in with the mindset that I would lease again, but something more fun/powerful and with AWD. I test-drove a few Audis (A3 and A4) but they were small particularly in the back seat (I have 3 kids, and while it's rare to drive all of them around in my car - my wife has 3-row SUV, it does happen sometimes). Also, because of the lack of equity I was coming in with, the attractive lease payments became not-so-attractive.

I ended up starting to look at cars I could purchase, rather than lease, for a similar monthly payment. I certainly could have gone with Honda again, and even purchased a pre-owned Accord with leather and heated seats, etc...but no AWD...and honestly still priced "high".

I hit up a local import dealership and test-drove the 328i and really enjoyed it. I enjoyed the look of the car, the feel inside, the space in the back seat, the AWD, and all the tiny little luxury amenities that end up making the car what it is. And not to mention the performance is way better than the Hondas I was driving!

I'm still kind of in shock that I actually bought a BMW, and I'm coming from a pretty conservative family (parents) when it comes to spending money so there's a little bit of that "expensive" stigma attached to the BMW badge...but in the end I feel like I got a great deal on a 3-year-old new-to-me car that outperforms the Accord for very slightly more than I could have bought a "similar" 2014 pre-owned Accord for.
Welcome to the world of BMW, I'd say you bought well! While Honda's have the rep for legendary build quality and longevity, my personal and familial experience is vastly different.

I understand your assessment of brand stigma. To me, BMW has always had a purist sort of ambiance - function over form. Whereas my personal bias against Mercedes and Cadillac is that of ostentatious display. The truth, as usual, is more nuanced. All three houses produce variants of prodigious performance.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:52 PM
Bimmerfester Wagenmeister

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Wagon
I wanted a proper wagon with no added ride height, which narrowed things down considerably. Acquiring my first BMW coming off a lease as CPO posed good value; three years of depreciation burned off, compelling loan interest incentive, but still less than 30k miles with credible service records and solid warranty. It wasn't larded up with options.

I fancy European cars so I'm already acclimated to maintenance expense, but I really don't have any complaints with mine. I already had a relationship with a good independent BMW mechanic—I haven't been to a dealership since I bought it.

On paper it was both the most efficient and high performance option out there, along with practical capacities and comfort. All the reviews were superlative yet credible; they had to look for reasons to ding it. There really wasn't any sacrifice or downside, other than feeling a bit pretentious in a BMW, but hardly a major concern, and they're common around here anyway.

Ultimately the car lives up to its performance reputation. I love to drive it like I stole it, and it's hard just to lay low, but it's a pleasure either way. It's not like I'm enduring a hard ride with no cargo space to get some performance, it hauls the family around with aplomb. Helps minimize the impact of pervasively aggravating traffic considerably.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:55 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 428i
I've had an Evo and a 370z. With a 60 mile daily commute i thought a BMW would be appropriate! The 428i feels great, and although its not as fast as my Evo was, it is certainly more comfortable, better on gas, and is a looker!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search