Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by adhrp View Post
....I have 60k+ miles on my 2012 N20.
NY/NJ are PZEV states, if yours is a N26 with CEL(e.g. camshaft sensor codes), it should then be covered 15-yr/150k miles by BMWNA.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:10 AM
I'd keep playing!

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi 2002 Z3 3.0
I had a similar experience in that the drive train malfunction light came on a couple of times over the course of a week, but went out. Then the low oil pressure light came on. I pulled off the highway and into a gas station and shut the car off for 5 minutes. Because there is no dipstick to check the oil, I restarted the car and checked the oil. Oil was full, oil pressure light went off. Engine sounded fine (no ticking or rattling noise) and the light stayed off, so I drove it home and drove it to the dealer the next day.

They replaced the turbo unit. I have the N26 and it was covered under the emissions warranty.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3RIFFRAFF View Post
I had a similar experience in that the drive train malfunction light came on a couple of times over the course of a week, but went out. Then the low oil pressure light came on. I pulled off the highway and into a gas station and shut the car off for 5 minutes. Because there is no dipstick to check the oil, I restarted the car and checked the oil. Oil was full, oil pressure light went off. Engine sounded fine (no ticking or rattling noise) and the light stayed off, so I drove it home and drove it to the dealer the next day.

They replaced the turbo unit. I have the N26 and it was covered under the emissions warranty.
Is yours N26 with PZEV coverage in NJ? Did the SA ask to authorize diagnosis fee before confirming emission coverage?
Old 06-16-2017, 09:20 AM
I'd keep playing!

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi 2002 Z3 3.0
Yes, N26 in NJ.

SA did not ask to authorize a diagnosis fee. I had an appointment scheduled for some other work it was due for. He just called and said the turbo was the problem and that it was covered under the PZEV which is good to 150K miles (I had 106K on the car at the time).

The PZEV covers a lot of items!
Old 06-16-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3RIFFRAFF View Post
Yes, N26 in NJ.

SA did not ask to authorize a diagnosis fee. I had an appointment scheduled for some other work it was due for. He just called and said the turbo was the problem and that it was covered under the PZEV which is good to 150K miles (I had 106K on the car at the time).

The PZEV covers a lot of items!
Good to hear a PZEV success story. Yes the PZEV list is long, it covers more than the major emission parts listed on the warranty manual.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:37 AM

Mein Auto: f30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFord79 View Post
Thanks Acoste and all for the help so far ! i read the link, so maybe im heading torwards timing chain issue? i did look into the oil cap area and did see the chain well part of it . it is tight and shiney. i didn't look for the rubs that were provided by the pic on the link but now im very curious . car is at my father n laws house so i will check out tomorrow. i am taking it to another place tomorrow so at least i can look at it one more time. i will update all the way till the end on this even if it comes down to another engine. i just want to know the darn cause. it is driving me crazy that after all these miles and years now something happened and happened big !!!!
Any news yet as to what happened to your engine??
Old 06-18-2017, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 bmw 328i F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by loggin View Post
Any news yet as to what happened to your engine??

Hello ! Not yet , called Friday afternoon and still needed more time . I will hopefully hear something tomorrow as I don't want to bug the mechanic . I will detail all that I have found and resolution of this issue . Either way this week I will make a decision on if I will resort to a engine swap if nothing happens with repairing this car . Prayers my way . Need my baby back on the road !!

Sent from my iPhone
Old 06-21-2017, 03:55 AM

Hey again ! Ok so the mechanic said I had NO Compression in the engine ! I have heard this for the 3rd time since I have taken it to 3 different places . He is pricing out rebuild parts vs another engine . I already priced out a engine so waiting to see what his numbers are . So question to all about my problem: with this being No Compression, what is having to be replaced to get my engine back to life? Is it completely dead?? I haven't been through this before

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 06-21-2017, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 550i MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFord79 View Post
with this being No Compression, what is having to be replaced to get my engine back to life? Is it completely dead??
The information "having no compression" worth just as much as saying "the engine is not running". Until they give you more information no one can tell.
1997 Saab 9000 //sold
Old 06-21-2017, 09:34 AM
Bimmerfest.com Founder

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
My guess is any rebuild is going to cost about the same, if not more, than replacing the engine.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:13 PM

Ok well ordered a engine , will update when it's in and swapped ! Broke the bank a little but like my mom said " you wanted a Beamer " !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search