Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-14-2017, 10:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 335xi
Dash MELTED?!?!?

Ok, I am almost convinced that this Bimmer is cursed. So I am driving this afternoon and notice that the little silicon/rubber mat where my radar mounts onto on my dash was not laying flush with the dash. So I go to straighten it up, and was HORRIFIED to see that under the silicone mount my dash had... MELTED?! It looks as if maybe the mold under the leather lining had melted. I am no chemist and I have no idea why this little piece on my dash would have caused it to melt, especially since I always keep my car covered with a UV protectant cover and it is rarely left in direct sunlight.

I am OCD especially about my interior and wipe it down and condition the leather practically every few uses, so this really is killing me to look at.

Does anyone have ANY ideas what would have caused this? Is plastic/silicone a SUPER attractor of heat or something? Is it some crazy reaction between light through glass and silicone? Also has anyone ever had to replace the upper, leather section on an E90s dash before? Any info they'd like to share?

I'm SUPER ANNOYED... I keep my car covered and take such good care of it precisely to avoid such wear, and now I have a deformity from some random one-in-a-million chance reaction. Anyway, to be safe, i'd avoid any similar products (there are many on the market, for holding various items) with leather in the car and especially where it is molded leather

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

Last edited by melka_ashur; 06-14-2017 at 10:48 PM.
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2017, 11:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i E92
Wow! I can feel your pain from here....looks like maybe your I-drive is running super hot? Hope you can find the cause of that.

Last edited by xxE92; 06-15-2017 at 05:33 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:58 AM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod

Silicone mat..... Among the best insulators, it prevented underlying heat to escape.

Feeling your pain but there may be no remedy. What's dealer say?
Old 06-15-2017, 02:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328i X-Drive Exc
Dash MELTED?!?!?

Sorry to hear. If if were not for the photos it would be hard to believe this is even possible. I wonder whether it is the materials in that mat and maybe some chemical reaction with the dash.

Did you get a quote for a replacement dash?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 06-15-2017, 06:02 AM
Registered Boozer

Mein Auto: E36 M3, 335is cab, E70 X5
What chemicals are being used to keep the dash shiny? Reapplied every few days?

It could be the chemicals, plus heat, plus the silicone mat.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 335xi
Dash MELTED?!?!?

Yea don't THINK it's from the i-drive... I think silicone as an insulator is sound reasoning, the question is if it was insulating heat from the window heating the dash panel, or if its heat coming up from the i-drive and other factors from under the dash. But clearly, the marks ONLY appeared under the mat, so it was the main factor.

As far as chemicals nothing crazy. I use high quality McGuire leather conditioner wipes.

Haven't yet mentioned anything to the dealer as unfortunately this is the LEAST of my problems as the car is running super rich, and God knows how many things are wrong with it since I just purchased it used from Toyota... Basically got screwed. Not even sure how the car passed smog, but anyway about to take it to the shop and spend BIG money on walnut blast, probably full new set of injectors, and who knows if even that will solve the issue. No point fixing aesthetics when the mechanics are a mess. I am sensing it will turn into a money hole, so I think i'll buy a horse instead and seek legal counsel to see if anything can be done about Toyota.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

Last edited by melka_ashur; 06-15-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:29 AM
Registered Boozer

Mein Auto: E36 M3, 335is cab, E70 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by melka_ashur View Post
As far as chemicals nothing crazy. I use high quality McGuire leather conditioner wipes.
That might be the problem... the dash is not wrapped in leather, I believe it's made from a rubber and polymer mix.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by melka_ashur View Post
the little silicon/rubber mat where my radar mounts onto on my dash was not laying flush with the dash. So I go to straighten it up, and was HORRIFIED to see that under the silicone mount my dash had... MELTED?!
Emphasis added -- perhaps a clue???

George
Old 06-15-2017, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
You could just put a slightly larger (non insulating) mat down over the area and live with it. Only you would know the horrors that lay below the pad.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:07 AM

Mein Auto: '09 E93 335 & '13 F10 528
Black (absorbs heat easily) silicon mat heated up the dash underneath it, acted like a nice blanket, which caused the glue to melt under the dash coating.

"Mods": Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Smartop. Tune2Air WMA3000B. Lux H8 180 Angel Eyes. #sostockithurts
Old 06-19-2017, 01:57 PM

Mein Auto: 16 435 CV Msport PPK
sorry about the issue, that is messed up. Let us know what happens

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search