Going to the track tomorrow first time - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2016 435i XDrive MPPK/MPE
Going to the track tomorrow first time

Hey guys gonna take my car to the track for the first time. Just had some questions. It's an xdrive btw. I mainly wanna just time my 0-60 and quarter mile so we will see how that goes.

1. If I'm gonna time my 0-60 will it also depend on my reaction speed or will it time when the car starts moving?
2. What should I keep the tire pressure at? I have it at the normal for 19s but I can't remember what it's at rn

3. How do get the best quarter mile time and 0-60 time? I've heard to shift at 6k because we lose power later so I'm gonna try this:
1st launch: launch control auto
2nd: launch control but manual shift at 6k
3rd: we will see which one is faster and try again

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 06-15-2017, 10:46 PM
Certified N52 Molestor

Mein Auto: 2011 528i RWD
That's not a track. It's a drag strip.

turn dsc off fully mat the pedal and you're good to go. There's no skill required to launch xDrive
Old 06-15-2017, 10:52 PM

Haha sorry just used to there name. They call it a race track so that's why but yeah it's a strip. So basically just do the BMW launch control?
Old 06-16-2017, 12:14 AM
Certified N52 Molestor

Try the launch control yes. On the first run try shifting at 6000. Then at 6500 and see what's faster.

Then, post your quarter mile time here

Have fun!!
Old 06-16-2017, 12:26 AM

Thanks!! Yeah I wanna try the first run whatever the BMW wants to shift at,
The 2nd one at around 6k (this is what terry rexommends)
The 3rd probably 6500 ish or whatever is getting me a better time

But basically launch control every time
Old 06-16-2017, 06:29 AM
Warning - Thin Air

Mein Auto: 2002 M Roadster/2014 435i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo18 View Post
But basically launch control every time
I have never tried this, so I don't know, but is it even possible to use launch control at the drag strip? There are several requirements that need to be in place, such as driving for so many miles (I think), so it would seem to me that it would be very hard to get through all of the requirements before going up to the line. Not to mention getting it ready to launch just as the light comes on. Doesn't seem to be enough time between staging and green light to make it work. Has anyone actually used it at the strip?

2014 435i M-Sport, Mineral Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Driver Assistance Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 8 Speed Sport AT, Heated Front Seats, Active Cruise Control, BMW MPPK w/MPE, BMW Limited Slip Diff, BBS CH Wheels.

2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:49 PM

Got only one run in cuz it rained out. Horrible reaction time because I took too long to stage (didn't know what to do) and the light turned green. Wasn't able to do a full launch control. I believe it was a very ****ty power brake. Will try proper launch control next week. Got a 13.1 which is the time I know I can beat! What do you guys think I can get with 94+ octane and car deets are below thanks

Car is n55 with mppk and jb+(2 psi) 435i x drive
Old 06-17-2017, 03:39 AM
Warning - Thin Air

I would work on the driver before I started changing the car.

2014 435i M-Sport, Mineral Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Driver Assistance Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 8 Speed Sport AT, Heated Front Seats, Active Cruise Control, BMW MPPK w/MPE, BMW Limited Slip Diff, BBS CH Wheels.

2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:53 AM
Certified N52 Molestor

It's a drag strip. Absolutely no driver experienced needed just good reaction time. Now if it's RWD things get a little trickier..
Old 06-17-2017, 08:28 AM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Just personal opinion of what worked for me no guarantees

If you see the green light you are slow. Forget the LC & try leaving on the last yellow. You might foul a few times but once you work it out your reaction times will be quicker.

Don't screw with the car until you have some experience & have built a muscle memory baseline.

Forget about going to 6500 with your car your are only slowing yourself down. Ask Terry if they are still doing the 2nd gear launch to control wheelspin. Expect things might have changed with the newer JB4's

If you can get away with it stage at a slight angle. This will give your tires more time in the foul lights letting you cheat on the yellow lights.

In a parking lot try some manual launches & see if the tail swings out at all. If the tail does come out when you stage at an angle stage opposite the direction of the tail slide. This will cause the car to self straighten & point down the track. Less corrective steering will be required.

If you ever get to competitive bracket racing most of these are won on the starting line.

Just screwing around your reaction time has no effect on your ET or MPH. Clocks do not start till your tires clear the foul beam. That's why you should spend a lot of time launching & forget about everything else.

Personally I would run Sport+ Manuel with the button pushed to get the first set of squiggly lines. This will prevent the nanny from shutting off your fuel if the tires slip to much.

You still want the rest of the nanny's to help you if you get out of shape so don't shut down the whole system by holding the button for 10 seconds.

CURRENT:
2018 BMW 440M-Sport MPPSK/MPE 8ZF
2016.5 Mazda CX-5GT AWD
2016 Genesis Coupe R-Spec 6MT
2013 BMW 135is JB4 convt 6MT
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash 5MT
FFR Cobra Mk-IV COYOTE 5MT Build Thread
477 WHP of BURBBLES
HOME FROM PAINT

Last edited by bear-avhistory; 06-17-2017 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:05 AM

Thanks for the help guys! The first time I launched right when I went to staged, the light turned green. I believe it was because I took too long to stage so it just went go. I know I can fix this next time. I didn't feel traction control kick in or anything so it felt fine with LC.

I think I come up to pre staged and then he does too and then we goto staged and then the traffic lights will go from red yellow yellow to green. Right?

I'll get a couple runs in this Friday so all is good
Old 06-17-2017, 02:53 PM
Warning - Thin Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10-N52 View Post
It's a drag strip. Absolutely no driver experienced needed just good reaction time. Now if it's RWD things get a little trickier..
You sound like the guy who just had a few beers and then tells his buddies "Watch me jump over that car." with expected results. You absolutely do need to know what you are doing at a drag strip. It isn't just floor it and go. And it sounds like the OP is trying to learn how to do it right.

Old 06-17-2017, 03:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 435i w/All M Options
Great post =bear-avhistory. There is skill involved to get the best 1/4.

Steven

2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan COI, DC Intercooler, Big Turbo, Stage 4, ER CP / TIC & GFB DV+.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:35 PM

I wish there was a test and tune here because I don't care about racing. I just wanna know my quarter mile and 0-60 but now I know that next time I go, I can take my time and launch whenever
Old 06-17-2017, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto: See Sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by khammack View Post
You sound like the guy who just had a few beers and then tells his buddies "Watch me jump over that car." with expected results. You absolutely do need to know what you are doing at a drag strip. It isn't just floor it and go. And it sounds like the OP is trying to learn how to do it right.
Read what he said again. He means in an all wheel drive car. Sure, there is a little skill involved, but all wheel drive makes a huge difference in the degree of difficulty (lack of).

As to what RPM to shift at, that certainly makes some difference, but BMWs Sport mode probably is the best bet.
Bikes...2015 BMW 1600 GT---2016 BMW S1000R---2012 Ducati Panigale
Old 06-17-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post
Just personal opinion of what worked for me no guarantees

If you see the green light you are slow. Forget the LC & try leaving on the last yellow. You might foul a few times but once you work it out your reaction times will be quicker.

Don't screw with the car until you have some experience & have built a muscle memory baseline.

Forget about going to 6500 with your car your are only slowing yourself down. Ask Terry if they are still doing the 2nd gear launch to control wheelspin. Expect things might have changed with the newer JB4's

If you can get away with it stage at a slight angle. This will give your tires more time in the foul lights letting you cheat on the yellow lights.

In a parking lot try some manual launches & see if the tail swings out at all. If the tail does come out when you stage at an angle stage opposite the direction of the tail slide. This will cause the car to self straighten & point down the track. Less corrective steering will be required.

If you ever get to competitive bracket racing most of these are won on the starting line.

Just screwing around your reaction time has no effect on your ET or MPH. Clocks do not start till your tires clear the foul beam. That's why you should spend a lot of time launching & forget about everything else.

Personally I would run Sport+ Manuel with the button pushed to get the first set of squiggly lines. This will prevent the nanny from shutting off your fuel if the tires slip to much.

You still want the rest of the nanny's to help you if you get out of shape so don't shut down the whole system by holding the button for 10 seconds.
Same answer. The tail is not going anywhere on an AWD car. And btw, I have no idea what the point is of launching at an angle. Sounds like a good way to lose it. Deep staging is the way to cheat the lights.

Last edited by jjsC6; 06-17-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:44 PM
Warning - Thin Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
Read what he said again. He means in an all wheel drive car. Sure, there is a little skill involved, but all wheel drive makes a huge difference in the degree of difficulty (lack of).

As to what RPM to shift at, that certainly makes some difference, but BMWs Sport mode probably is the best bet.
Maybe you need to reread his post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10-N52
Absolutely no driver experienced needed just good reaction time.
Everyone thinks they are drag racer, but just like any other form of racing, there are considerable skills and training involved.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Maybe you need to reread his post.

Everyone thinks they are drag racer, but just like any other form of racing, there are considerable skills and training involved.
Yes, I get that it takes skill to win races. We were talking about launching for a good time. My point was simply that AWD takes away a lot of skill needed to get a good launch to post a good time. He is not trying to win a shootout yet. I have drag raced and I have posted good times.

I still am about #6 in the country for fastest ET in a stock LS2 Corvette according to the "fast list" on the Corvette forum, and I road raced motorcycles 35 years ago and finished in the top three in the country in three different classes in the AMA amateur series. As such, I completely agree it takes skill. I was just referring to that one aspect.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:37 PM
Warning - Thin Air

Quote:
Yes, I get that it takes skill to win races. We were talking about launching for a good time. My point was simply that AWD takes away a lot of skill needed to get a good launch to post a good time. He is not trying to win a shootout yet. I have drag raced and I have posted good times.

I still am about #6 in the country for fastest ET in a stock LS2 Corvette according to the "fast list" on the Corvette forum, and I road raced motorcycles 35 years ago and finished in the top three in the country in three different classes in the AMA amateur series. As such, I completely agree it takes skill. I was just referring to that one aspect.
Well maybe you know better because I have never launched an AWD car, but in my readings, it says that AWD is harder to launch than RWD. Do you have any experience with this?

Old 06-17-2017, 07:42 PM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Quote:
Same answer. The tail is not going anywhere on an AWD car. And btw, I have no idea what the point is of launching at an angle. Sounds like a good way to lose it. Deep staging is the way to cheat the lights.
Missed that it was AWD, my bad.

Said its "what worked for me". When I was racing regularly at Englishtown Raceway Park my 67 Stingray 4 MT. Depending on what engine I was running it would hook on launch. It required steering inputs to get it going straight down the track. An angle would let the car come straight without much steering effort.

Also ran a 33 full fendered coupe there but it was a manual shift 4 speed automatic with a high stall speed converter that was easier to drive.

Modified 1970 LT1 370BHP stock crate engine. 2400lb car weight.

Have never driven a stock LS2 Corvette 350whp?, but do have years of experience in modified 427/454/460 etc versions.

I would suggest a new guy deep staging will red light more than he will actually get a good run in. Personally I believe a shallow stage is better for a new guy till he can read the tree. A shallow stage at a slight angle will keep his front wheels in the beams longer with a 3rd yellow launch helping to reduce red lights. He is running for ET/MPH experience right now not street eliminator.

That said your results may vary. Had pretty good win/loss record over 25 years with the cars but to each his own. As I said above "its what worked for me no guarantees."

Carried it over when I got back into running with the 335is (370/410WHP) tuned & would easily overpower the stock tires & 275 Conti DW summer get flats

BTW think there are some debates on the Corvette forums about why should/shouldn't I deep stage with a slower Vette. Not sure what they mean by slower but maybe talking about the 70/80 smog cars.

CURRENT:
2018 BMW 440M-Sport MPPSK/MPE 8ZF
2016.5 Mazda CX-5GT AWD
2016 Genesis Coupe R-Spec 6MT
2013 BMW 135is JB4 convt 6MT
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash 5MT
FFR Cobra Mk-IV COYOTE 5MT Build Thread
477 WHP of BURBBLES
HOME FROM PAINT

Last edited by bear-avhistory; 06-17-2017 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:46 PM
Certified N52 Molestor

Quote:
Well maybe you know better because I have never launched an AWD car, but in my readings, it says that AWD is harder to launch than RWD. Do you have any experience with this?
How could more grip off the line possibly make launching difficult? With RWD if the tires do not gain sufficient grip, you get tire slip and some fishtailing whereas AWD just digs in with no tire slip at all.

RWD requires very precise throttle/clutch work to launch quickly. In theory if you have very wide rear tires on a RWD car, enough to not lose power by wheelspin RWD will be quicker in races because it is lighter. If power levels are high then AWD may have enough of an advantage to outrun the RWD car, otherwise the lighter vehicle will make up for lost time through the quarter mike since its lighter.

But AWD certainly is NOT more difficult to launch. It's definitely common sense in this case .
Old 06-17-2017, 07:53 PM
Certified N52 Molestor

What you had in mind was a BMW which obviously handles different then an old muscle car. It doesn't need to be launched at an angle because it's not going to oversteer towards that direction to compensate. It's a better handling, easier to control car.

We are talking strictly high power RWD BMW's here. Don't expect any booty action if power is being sent to all 4 wheels.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:31 AM
Warning - Thin Air

Quote:
How could more grip off the line possibly make launching difficult? With RWD if the tires do not gain sufficient grip, you get tire slip and some fishtailing whereas AWD just digs in with no tire slip at all.

RWD requires very precise throttle/clutch work to launch quickly. In theory if you have very wide rear tires on a RWD car, enough to not lose power by wheelspin RWD will be quicker in races because it is lighter. If power levels are high then AWD may have enough of an advantage to outrun the RWD car, otherwise the lighter vehicle will make up for lost time through the quarter mike since its lighter.

But AWD certainly is NOT more difficult to launch. It's definitely common sense in this case .
Is this the same guy who said no skill was required for the drag strip and is now explaining the skills needed at the drag strip to launch an AWD car?

Old 06-18-2017, 08:01 AM

Mein Auto: 335d, 328ix, hard bargain
Quote:
Same answer. The tail is not going anywhere on an AWD car.
That's not true. Once tire grip is lost, it is lost.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: 335d, 328ix, hard bargain
Quote:
With RWD if the tires do not gain sufficient grip, you get tire slip and some fishtailing whereas AWD just digs in with no tire slip at all.
Any tire that does not have sufficient grip will slip regardless of whether it is RWD, FWD, or AWD. Haven't you seen an AWD vehicle with all four vehicles sliding on ice?

No, AWD (xdrive since we are talking BMW) just doesn't dig in. It actually does the opposite of digging in, because it decreases power and/or activates ABS on the slipping wheel and delivers more power to wheels it senses are not slipping. xdrive helps prevent fishtailing because it reduces power to those rear wheels when it senses slippage. You can do the same with RWD by letting off the accelerator until rear wheels gain traction (although BMW DTC will kick in at low speeds to help you out), which is what xdrive does automatically; however, xdrive also increases power to the other wheels where RWD doesn't have that luxury of four drive wheels, and four patches of friction you can tap to accelerate is greater than only two patches.

Last edited by imtjm; 06-18-2017 at 08:13 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search