Ac issue. - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-15-2017, 08:35 PM

Mein Auto: 325i Sedan
Ac issue.

Ok guys I'm new with cars in general. Last night my car AC stopped working all of a sudden. I can't say that he didn't give me any warnings because before you completely went out on me one side which was a passenger side will blow hot. The driver side would blow cold. Then like I said it just stopped I Mabel to move the fan controls up and down but nothing seem to be working. Then today about 15 minutes ago on my way home I test it out and give it a go and it turned on. I don't hear a humming noise coming from the dashboard which I assume is the blower however before I spend money trying to replace the blower or the resister I need to know you this is a resistor issue or a blower issue I did smell some kind of burnt smell coming out of the vents before he went out and just now that it came back on I do see however that the AC will fluctuate low and fast at first. Now is on full blast.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Advertisement
Old 06-16-2017, 04:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto:
It's likely that the AC system is low on refrigerant, R134a. The climate control won't engage the compressor clutch when the refrigerant charge is below a specific pressure.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:14 AM

I bought a canister with a gauge and the pressure is fine. It was weird it started up in the middle of the road after messing with the circulation option a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 06-16-2017, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesar13vazquez View Post
I bought a canister with a gauge and the pressure is fine. It was weird it started up in the middle of the road after messing with the circulation option a few times.

Those cans of refrigerant and a gauge are useless. Your system has all the signs of low refrigerant, including the cool/cold on the driver's side and warm/hot on the passenger's side. That's how the system is designed to work when it's low on refrigerant.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 323i
I had a similar issue. Cool on the driver side, not so cool for the passenger. I was virtually out of refrigerant. I had the system tested and refilled. Chilly here in Phoenix since having it done.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:03 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Have an HVAC-savvy tech put some real gauges on your system to get a true picture of what`s needed.

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 06-18-2017, 03:52 PM

Alright guys. Thanks. The only thing I was concerned with was with the humming noise coming after I put full blast. And the speed fluctuations.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search