325i, Pre Purchase Questions - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-15-2017, 09:56 PM

Mein Auto: No BMW yet
325i, Pre Purchase Questions

Hello, all!

New to the forum, and looking to (hopefully) become a member of the BMW family!

I am in the search for a car, currently, and have come across a 2006 325i that had the transmission go out. Here are the details from the post I am looking at:

"Had bad tranny. I bought a new tranny for it, but don't have time for it. It will come with the tranny bought and receipt, as it does have warranty it turns on but does not run! $2000 come tow it."

I overviewed a YouTube video to see how much of a pain that this would be as a self repair, and parsed, the video was about 1/2 hr (also, he's removing a 5 series trans, but said it's generally the same process for most/all models). The process seemed a lot easier than I suspected, but I have two "live under the hood" resources to assist, if need be/as cash allows. (One by trade, one a weekend grease monkey, etc. Was in process of restoring a '49 Ford before he found a family, no more single man weekend time, etc.)

Big issue is, my mechanic mentioned that, based on model, there might be a need to reset/flash a PROM on a new transmission to match the VIN of the car in order to work? The guy who was replacing the trans in the video was doing this on made no mention of this process, and I find nothing further on this topic on YouTube (I haven't done a full search either there OR via Google). Since THIS site came up on my initial search, I thought it wouldn't hurt to throw this out here as a "Hail Mary" for insight, in the meantime.

Might someone be able to confirm as to whether or not a PROM flash/reset would have to be done on this model when replacing a transmission? This is early stage research, et al.; I am trying to get out to see the machine aside from pictures this weekend (the car looks cherry, aesthetically), and want to know as much as I can on this aspect before commitment.

Any help you can provide would be great, and hopefully saves a call to the dealership for someone to unnecessarily say, "well, yeah, of COURSE you need to let us do it (so we can charge you)!"
Advertisement
Old 06-15-2017, 11:51 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Any confusion might be caused by the fact that you`re looking in the wrong place for info. If your car is actually a 2006 (and, if it has 4 doors) it`s an E90, not an E46. Totally different car....

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 06-16-2017, 12:05 AM

Mein Auto: No BMW yet
Thanks, Fast Bob, for the fast reply. You live up to your name!

It is, indeed, a 4 dr; the references that I was coming across had the E46 tags attached to my searches, etc. (yes, even Wiki...yes, yes...save the smart remarks re: Wiki LOL!)

Here's the post that I reference; you are welcome to correct the n00b, as I'm slowly learning on the topic, one. Two, if one of the admins would be so kind to perhaps move the thread to its appropriate location, that would be greatly appreciated and welcome.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...61935447678769

Thanks for the response, F.B....even if it was to chastise me. It gave me some info, still, and I thank you for the correction! TIL: don't trust Google and Wiki...F.B.'s the man!
Old 06-16-2017, 12:23 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi
(I bought a new tranny for it, but don't have time for it).....Your First Clue!

Last edited by GermanAutobahn; 06-16-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:32 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi
Additionally...I would recommend looking further for your BMW. I would stay away from cars offered with major issues including engine drive-transmission system..... But...Emissions, brake system issues are relatively affordable but not transmission issues generally.

Look on CraigsList for BMW...see what the used BMW market is and what your money can expect to buy.

Last edited by GermanAutobahn; 06-16-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 328ci
Feel like no matter what the vehicle is, if it doesn't drive and you don't intend to buy it that way, don't buy it. Find a reputable mechanic and have them look at a car you are interested in if you're buying it through a private party. Just because you buy a car from a dealer does not always mean they are reliable. At least in New York (not sure if its the whole US), but there is a thing called the Lemon Law. If you buy a car from a dealership, the Lemon Law requires the dealership to fix any issue you may run into within a certain amount of time. Almost like a guaranteed warranty. Here's the link for the New York standards: https://ag.ny.gov/consumer-frauds/us...law-fact-sheet.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:17 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebimmergrl View Post
Feel like no matter what the vehicle is, if it doesn't drive and you don't intend to buy it that way, don't buy it. Find a reputable mechanic and have them look at a car you are interested in if you're buying it through a private party. Just because you buy a car from a dealer does not always mean they are reliable. At least in New York (not sure if its the whole US), but there is a thing called the Lemon Law. If you buy a car from a dealership, the Lemon Law requires the dealership to fix any issue you may run into within a certain amount of time. Almost like a guaranteed warranty. Here's the link for the New York standards: https://ag.ny.gov/consumer-frauds/us...law-fact-sheet.
When getting a PPI, it`s important to go to a shop that works on BMWs every day....there are too many "BMW-specific" items that the average mechanic will ptobably not be aware of.

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 06-20-2017, 07:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 328ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
When getting a PPI, it`s important to go to a shop that works on BMWs every day....there are too many "BMW-specific" items that the average mechanic will ptobably not be aware of.
I guess I am a little spoiled with that since my Dad's shop specializes in BMWs
Old 06-20-2017, 09:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '00 323i/97 528i/05 X5
Never, ever, ever buy a bmw that's not running. Now if his "turns on but does not run" means it cranks and runs but wont move then I'd buy it if the body is in good condition e90 or e46.

I tried to tell my friend not to buy an e60 (2005 528i) that wasn't running. Beautiful car and all but I told him not to buy it. Its been a yard ornament for going on 2 years now since he bought it

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search