Is everybody else okay with F30 interior colors? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:15 AM

Mein Auto: 335i coupe
Is everybody else okay with F30 interior colors?

Up front I admit totally that this is just a bit of a moan but I wanted to find out if most people are okay with F30 interior colors. Specifically I'm talking about 2013-2014 335i sedans I'm looking at as I want to trade out my 2011 coupe (not in the money league to just buy new and get exactly what I want). But just in case anyone from BMW Corp ever looks on these forums, can I just say there's way too much beige in your beige interior and trumping that, I'm so darn sick to death of all the black interiors (and exteriors for that matter). My current coupe is black inside (silver out), so was the coupe I had before that (black out too). It's like driving a ruddy submarine, gimme some light for heaven's sake! The only colors I like are the black/gray (the seats and door inserts are a very pale gray that contrasts with the black really well), the red/black (same idea roughly) and the saddle brown (again a medium brown and black mix). But I just let a black/gray slip from my grasp (light blue exterior) and now, no matter what radius around my location I give (in fact the whole country on several car finder sites), it's black or beige everywhere. So after that rant I'll return to the question; is everyone else okay with those interiors and so many black outers as well?
Advertisement
Old 06-16-2017, 08:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i
No, I'm not okay with any car company doing this. You're telling me I can't pick my exterior/interior/trim when I'm paying $50-60K for a car without paying an extra $5-6k for "custom" paint/leather.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:19 AM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
NO I would liked to have more flexibility in choosing. Got black seats with blue piping, wanted red piping but it was not available on my model.

CURRENT:
2018 BMW 440M-Sport MPPSK/MPE 8ZF
2016.5 Mazda CX-5GT AWD
2016 Genesis Coupe R-Spec 6MT
2013 BMW 135is JB4 convt 6MT
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash 5MT
FFR Cobra Mk-IV COYOTE 5MT Build Thread
477 WHP of BURBBLES
HOME FROM PAINT
Old 06-16-2017, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
The gray interior was only available in 2012-2013 by the way. It was dropped starting in the 2014 MY. Too bad you're not open to Coral Red. It's outstanding.

As far as this being a BMW issue, far from it. Most lesser brands offer almost no choices. My GTI was available with the plaid cloth, or in the Autobahn model with black leather. No other choices. The top of the line Touring model Accord comes with grey leather. No other options.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:39 AM
Porleau

Mein Auto: 2017 BMW 340xi M-Sport
High on my list of wants from BMW is a wide range of interior selections including color choices as well ventilated and multi-contour options for the 3 series. Maybe we'll see some of this in 2019. I have gone with 2 consecutive Mineral Gray over Coral Red F30s. Absolutely love the combination, but would have liked to try something different that wasn't beige or black. How about Mocha or Cinnamon that appear in other models? Additional paint colors for M Sport would also be appreciated.

2017 340i | Mineral Gray | Coral Red Dakota | xDrive | M-Sport | M Performance Power & Sound | ZCW | ZDA | ZLP | 2PE | 2VF| ZTP | 5DL | 5DP | 6CP

Gone, but not forgotten:
14 BMW 335xi F30
11 BMW 335xi E90
08 BMW 335i E90
05 Audi A4 3.0q USP
01 Audi A6 4.2q
98 Audi A4 2.8q
91 BMW 535i
87 BMW 325e
85 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 06-16-2017, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 M3 . . . 2012 528i
The interior was one of the biggest deciding factors in my brother's 328 purchase. He wanted more character than most cars had, and even though he got the black interior he really likes the aluminum trim with blue stripe.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: E92
My 09 E92 was black Dakota. Had a grey headliner. My 18 F32 has Black Dakota again with a black headliner. Doesn't feel like a submarine. Of course I keep the sunroof shade open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2017, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto: See Sig
I'm covered. I love the Oyster.
Bikes...2015 BMW 1600 GT---2016 BMW S1000R---2012 Ducati Panigale
Old 06-16-2017, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto: 328xi
You c;an always go to an automotive interior vendor. They will put in whatever you want. One time I replaced the seats in a toyota with leather. Vendor offered at least 70 different colors.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:41 PM
False Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 14 435xi 14 X1 35i
I'm happy with the colors, but not the way they are offered. The MSport package is high on my list and suddenly there are only 3 options. If I want this color I have get the Luxury package. I don't want Luxury, I want MSport.

The outgoing 435 is Glacier Silver. My choices for leather were black, beige or red.

Fortunately with the incoming 440xi Cognac Brown was an easy choice with Snapper Rocks blue.

The buyer should be able to select from the whole palette regardless of which wheels or packages they have selected.
That's how I would do it.

jummo
Old 06-16-2017, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
I agree that there're way too many cars with black interiors, but having said that, I think BMW does a great job giving us choices. From my experience they not only have plenty of choices, but they're not afraid to put them on the lots also. I have the beige interior and really like it, especially with Imperial Blue on the exterior. From a maintenance standpoint, I would have preferred the carpets to be a brown or dark tan, but all in all it's very bright and has an upscale feel to it.

FWIW, for 2017 the beige interior comes with some black trim on the doors, and black carpeting. That looks real nice and will also make maintenance easier.

Other makes tend to be restricted on colors as Michael stated above. Take a look at Audi. The new A4 is available in many colors, but good luck finding anything but black, gray, or white exteriors. However, I can find a blue F30 with oyster, saddle brown, or beige interior very easily in a reasonable radius of my town.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:58 PM
OEM Audio PnP Integration

Mein Auto: 2017 M3
What you are finding out is the damn Lines crap that BMW pulled with the F3x from MY2012 to MY2015 in the USA. Each Line (Modern, Luxury, Sport and M Sport) had their own fixed interior colors and trim, so no mix and match, no selecting one Line interior color combo from another Line. To this day we are still seeing fixed interior combos just because the Lines are still a thing outside the USA.

The black carpets/door panels combo started in MY2016 so that is more interesting regardless of the color of the seats (as long as they are not black). So you can get Beige seats with black carpet and black door panels with Beige inserts that really looks much more premium than the classic (and looking craptastic after a year of use) all Beige interior of forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcom-mike View Post
Up front I admit totally that this is just a bit of a moan but I wanted to find out if most people are okay with F30 interior colors. Specifically I'm talking about 2013-2014 335i sedans I'm looking at as I want to trade out my 2011 coupe (not in the money league to just buy new and get exactly what I want). But just in case anyone from BMW Corp ever looks on these forums, can I just say there's way too much beige in your beige interior and trumping that, I'm so darn sick to death of all the black interiors (and exteriors for that matter). My current coupe is black inside (silver out), so was the coupe I had before that (black out too). It's like driving a ruddy submarine, gimme some light for heaven's sake! The only colors I like are the black/gray (the seats and door inserts are a very pale gray that contrasts with the black really well), the red/black (same idea roughly) and the saddle brown (again a medium brown and black mix). But I just let a black/gray slip from my grasp (light blue exterior) and now, no matter what radius around my location I give (in fact the whole country on several car finder sites), it's black or beige everywhere. So after that rant I'll return to the question; is everyone else okay with those interiors and so many black outers as well?

BMW OEM Audio PnP integration
www.TechnicPnP.com
TechnicPnP@Hotmail.com
Old 06-16-2017, 01:00 PM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
I'm satisfied with the black interior (including black headliner) in my 320i. I also like the leatherette (Sensatec) covering for the seats.

However, the various cloth seating surfaces for F3x offered in several European markets would be better than leatherette standard on U.S. market cars and much better than Dakota leather. My favorite is the Hexagon cloth/Alcantara combination:

Old 06-16-2017, 01:00 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
I really don't like being restricted to certain colors when you choose certain options (MSport, Sport, Luxury) or exterior colors. I kind of understand the exclusivity of Leman Blue, but comeon, now why restrict an MSport car to black interior (my least favorite.)
Old 06-16-2017, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
I'm satisfied with the black interior (including black headliner) in my 320i. I also like the leatherette (Sensatec) covering for the seats.

However, the various cloth seating surfaces for F3x offered in several European markets would be better than leatherette standard on U.S. market cars and much better than Dakota leather. My favorite is the Hexagon cloth/Alcantara combination:

I like cloth interiors and have had them on lots of previous cars. The real downside to me is the static charge.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:55 PM

Mein Auto: 99 M3, 11 X5d, 16 328d XT
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
I really don't like being restricted to certain colors when you choose certain options (MSport, Sport, Luxury) or exterior colors. I kind of understand the exclusivity of Leman Blue, but comeon, now why restrict an MSport car to black interior (my least favorite.)
BMW is "nice" enough to let you custom order - but only if you pay....
Old 06-16-2017, 04:26 PM

Coral red would be fine too. Just not seeing any. Like I said, gray/black, coral red or saddle brown all work fine for me but the next complication is I don't want Black, White or Silver exterior. Net effect is for 2013-2014 the permutations get pretty tight, seems there's about seven cars total in the entire continental USA that might fit the bill!! And I just let one of them slip by. Six to go. Not a happy camper.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcom-mike View Post
Coral red would be fine too. Just not seeing any. Like I said, gray/black, coral red or saddle brown all work fine for me but the next complication is I don't want Black, White or Silver exterior. Net effect is for 2013-2014 the permutations get pretty tight, seems there's about seven cars total in the entire continental USA that might fit the bill!! And I just let one of them slip by. Six to go. Not a happy camper.
Coral Red is definitely rare. I had a pretty rare car, Mineral Gray, CR interior, RWD with 6 speed and Sport Line. MG and CR is a great combination. I ordered the car to my specs by the way. That's how most of us get ours, especially if you want 3 pedals.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:01 PM

Alas don't have 50K+ to spend
Old 06-16-2017, 06:34 PM
False Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 14 435xi 14 X1 35i
I would have gone Saddle Brown with the 14' 435 had it been compatible with the other options I wanted. By default I went Coral Red.
Silver over black is just boring, classic yes, but let's live a little. We've had 3 BMWs with beige and am over it, so that left red.
It is quite striking and has held up well, but I won't miss it after 3 years.

In a way it was good for me to pick something that really wasn't my style but was something different.

Kind of like Snapper Rocks Blue Metallic, I hope. The Tosca is moored at Port Hueneme as this is being written.

jummo

jummo
Old 06-16-2017, 07:00 PM
Sedan Driver

Mein Auto: Sedan
If you can order what you want via custom/individual order, then I see no reason to complain otherwise the buyer should look elsewhere. These are mass produced cars, they can't have so many combinations available that complicate the factory. If you really want something else, buy the car and swap out materials/colors on the interior. If you leased then you're just renting the car so suck it up.

BMW Athletics Soft Shell Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Old 06-18-2017, 05:43 AM

Seen a gray 2014 model with the coral red interior and it looks fantastic. Here's the rub, its almost 400 miles away (Wilmington NC to Atlanta GA) and I want to trade my 2011 335 coupe against it. So many variables, I find an issue with theirs, they won't pay what I want for mine. If it doesn't work out I spend a weekend on the road doing 800 miles for zip. America needs a few autobahns.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i, 2002 330i
I definitely would like to have more color options in the 3 series. When we got our X5 there was a whole pallet of interior colors available (currently have tobacco brown with contrast stitching - looks awesome).

In a sense BMW at the time of release viewed the F30 3-series as it's entry-level "budget" car although in transition. So it doesn't get a lot of options, and it's pretty much always been that way. I think this is changing with upcoming 3-er (G20?) and it's moving more clearly up the ladder. But there's always bad to go with the good when it comes to BMW; as you move up the food chain the models get bigger, heavier, softer, more complex, and more expensive. So be careful what you wish for.

As for me the F30 is already straddling that line and I suspect the G20 will cross it. I'll probably be looking hard at a 2-series for my next car even if it does only come with a boring black or beige interior.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 BMW 328i
I dislike black interiors and have driven far too many with tan/beige. Coral Red is as spectacular as rare. While BMW does not currently offer a grey-ish hued seat selection with the 3-series, they still offer a wider range than most. Recently saw a blue/red 230 convertible!

Just purchased a 2016 red/venetian tan 328i. Thankfully the headliner and pillars are trimmed with black to create a nice contrast. Also ordered Cocomats with red/natural. IMO aftermarket floor mats are a great way to liven the interior.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 328i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
The top of the line Touring model Accord comes with grey leather. No other options.
And the Accord sport only comes with black interior.

I think OP's issue is due to the limited color choices BMW was offering early in the F30 cycle. By MY2016 LCI, you could get pretty much any color with any line.

For earlier MYs

- No line only came in beige and black (this is the most popular one on dealers lots)
- Sport line came in black or red (can't remember if oyster was an option after the first year's grey)
- M sport came in black, red, or oyster
- Luxury line came in black, beige, oyster, or saddle

2015 328i / M Sport / Alpine White / Coral Red / 4 DR / 6 MT / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 60K+ Miles / Bought 10-30-2014

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search