Test drove BMW x5 xDrive40e today... - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 F15 (2014 - Current)

X5 F15 (2014 - Current)
The all new F15 BMW X5 started production August 2013 as a 2014 model year. The new X5 arrives in sDrive35i (RWD), xDrive35i, xDrive50i and a diesel xDrive 35d.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:19 PM

Mein Auto: mazda cx9
Test drove BMW x5 xDrive40e today...

Thinking about buying an x5. I like the fact that it drives partly electric. Is it worth the money? Any problems that you've encountered?
Advertisement
Old 06-17-2017, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328xi
I have mine for 3 weeks and overall I love it. I enjoy driving a bigger car and still getting well over 30 MPG. I also thought it was a better deal to lease since there were some significant incentives to lower the cost. The car has plenty of power and its fun with the eboost kicks in for that instant torque.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest
Old 06-17-2017, 12:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 35d
Be a man, buy a diesel.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:05 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 40e 2017
I have for 6 months.6000 miles.Love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2017, 06:07 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 40e 2017
Driving 20 miles to Manhattan big traffic .Charging at work and at home .Tank 1300 miles

Old 06-18-2017, 12:06 PM

Mein Auto: X5 40e
I picked up mine in early Feb from the Performance Center. It now has 3362 miles on it, about 1100 or so were from driving back to the Austin area.

I charge at home, near work (about 5-10 in walk), and when I leave my car at the airport.

Yesterday I got gas, first time since 5/13. It took a whopping 6 gallons, and I had driven about 400 miles since the last fill-up.

There's a federal tax credit that pretty much offsets the additional cost.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:15 PM
Shogunman

Mein Auto: 2015 535i & 2016 i3 REX
Test drove BMW x5 xDrive40e today...

My local dealer gave one to me for the weekend. I loved it. The rear air suspension was awesome to experience. The torque and HP are also more than the X5 35i.

If leasing, the cost difference was almost none for a $5k MSRP difference where the 40e also had the air suspension and an Xdrive.

Day to day cost of running the 40e would be comparatively as well (to me).

So yes, it is worth it in my opinion.

Lastly, I've heard that the 2018 X5 40e will qualify for the HOV lane access in California.

Last edited by Arcane.Host; 06-19-2017 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:05 PM

Mein Auto: X5 40e
Had ours for 6 weeks now, love it. Plenty of get up and go. Many modes of driving to choose from. While it helps with gas that is not the primary reason to buy it. I drives just like any other X5 I think. Lots of high end pick up, even more than at low speeds. Somewhat of a dog in all electric with a full load of four passengers, but you can also go to hybrid mode and sport mode to get more acceleration when needed. All the amenities are there. I have a couple of complaints but they are minor. One is that you can choose to charge it ASAP upon plug in or put it on a timer to so at night when rates are low. That is great, but they really should have also put in an override so you can instantly charge without going through full reset o of the timer option. As mentioned, the federal rebate is close to $5K so the price is good. We test drove Lexus, Jaguar and Range Rover SUV and liked this the best. Oh and the sound system is amazing and we didn't even upgrade.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:16 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
There was somebody here a few months ago with a demonically possessed X5 40e. BMW NA finally gave up on trying to fix it and let him pick another X5 off the dealer's lot. But, that sometimes happens with non-e BMW's too.

The big catch with hybrids, conventional or plug-ins, is battery life and replacement cost. I know two people with conventional hybrids. They both needed new batteries at around eight years, and the cost of the batteries wiped out all of their fuel cost savings by driving a hybrid. A Tesla rep told me a few weeks ago that a S's battery replacement cost is still over $10k, but that's down from $15k a few years ago.

I was intrigued by the X5 40e. Lease terms are great on them. But, I'm militant about having a spare tire and hole under the cargo area/trunk floor to put it.

Plug-in hybrids make a lot more environmental since a lot of the electricity generation has now moved from coal to natural gas.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 X5 35d
Anyone driving and not charging regularly? I have an x5d right now and lease is up. Decisions.... MSD's are not gone, and list price has gone up. I may knock out some features, but wanted to get feedback.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 X5 Xdrive40e
Took the X5 40e up to Lake Tahoe for a long weekend. Four adults, fully packed cargo and an elevation gain of 6500ft. Drove in Sport mode on the way up and back and the ride was comfortable with plenty of power on reserve.

The premium over fossil-fuel only versions is especially worth it to me since I have a solar system that returns a net zero on electricity use. I also really love the perfectly smooth and silent electric-only push off from a stop with instant torque. It's a drive quality that beats any gas-driven flagship.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 F15 (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search