Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-16-2017, 08:14 PM
laptop4079 laptop4079 is offline
Registered User
Location: Houston
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: To many to list
cylinder 5 missfire help needed!

Hello everyone I'm still new here, this is my second post. This is my first boosted car and I've been bitten by the turbo bug. But sadly things are going to shambles. I misdiagnosed a bad idler pulley as the wastgates and she burns oil pretty bad but I'm working in it. The latest catastrophe comes after a small rumble with a sports bike. I was driving it the hardest yet and as I was slowing down my ses light came on and it started misfiring without warning. This is a constant misfire like it's not even trying to fire. I've pulled the codes with inpa but I can't read german and I've tried to translate it but it just didn't work. I'm going to pull the plug and swap the coil tomorrow to see what happens. I'm just worried if it's something worse.

Edit: I guess I don't have enough posts to add a picture
http://imgur.com/a/RyY1p
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 06-16-2017, 09:11 PM
sptt144's Avatar
sptt144 sptt144 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orange County, Ca.
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,178
Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by laptop4079 View Post
Hello everyone I'm still new here, this is my second post. This is my first boosted car and I've been bitten by the turbo bug. But sadly things are going to shambles. I misdiagnosed a bad idler pulley as the wastgates and she burns oil pretty bad but I'm working in it. The latest catastrophe comes after a small rumble with a sports bike. I was driving it the hardest yet and as I was slowing down my ses light came on and it started misfiring without warning. This is a constant misfire like it's not even trying to fire. I've pulled the codes with inpa but I can't read german and I've tried to translate it but it just didn't work. I'm going to pull the plug and swap the coil tomorrow to see what happens. I'm just worried if it's something worse.

Edit: I guess I don't have enough posts to add a picture
http://imgur.com/a/RyY1p
Throw some more info up such as year, mileage, tune, etc. These are common issues with this car but reasons depend.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-16-2017, 09:16 PM
laptop4079 laptop4079 is offline
Registered User
Location: Houston
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: To many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by sptt144 View Post
Throw some more info up such as year, mileage, tune, etc. These are common issues with this car but reasons depend.
My bad! It's a 2007 coupe with 141k on the clock. Everything is bone stock afaik not sure how to tell if it's currently tuned or previously.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-16-2017, 10:01 PM
sptt144's Avatar
sptt144 sptt144 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orange County, Ca.
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,178
Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by laptop4079 View Post
My bad! It's a 2007 coupe with 141k on the clock. Everything is bone stock afaik not sure how to tell if it's currently tuned or previously.
Lots of miles. Lots of possibilities. 2007 was not a good year for these. Assuming they had everything fixed under warranty it could just be a bad coil. You need to know which one is misfiring so you can swap the right coil. Don't do the plug until you test the coils. These coils fail often and just replacing the one should fix it. For me, it was always #1 (closest to radiator) or #6 (firewall where it gets much hotter). One other issue is the Valve Cover Gasket leak which sends oil into #3 and #4 causing misfires. You can see with the engine cover off if there is oil down in them or just by pulling the coils to see if they are wet. At 141k a new VCG is more than likely due.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-16-2017, 10:26 PM
laptop4079 laptop4079 is offline
Registered User
Location: Houston
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: To many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by sptt144 View Post
Lots of miles. Lots of possibilities. 2007 was not a good year for these. Assuming they had everything fixed under warranty it could just be a bad coil. You need to know which one is misfiring so you can swap the right coil. Don't do the plug until you test the coils. These coils fail often and just replacing the one should fix it. For me, it was always #1 (closest to radiator) or #6 (firewall where it gets much hotter). One other issue is the Valve Cover Gasket leak which sends oil into #3 and #4 causing misfires. You can see with the engine cover off if there is oil down in them or just by pulling the coils to see if they are wet. At 141k a new VCG is more than likely due.
The only paperwork I could find was from the hpfp at 4k. This is my newest bmw and I'm still learning how to sweet talk service advisers so I can get the rest of the history. I'm not new to bmw's and I do most of my own work. So far nothing looks too complicated Code reader says it's cyl 5. I'm going to swap the coil tomorrow. My brain always goes to the worse possible situation
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-17-2017, 08:39 PM
sptt144's Avatar
sptt144 sptt144 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orange County, Ca.
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,178
Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Most of the issues I've had are simple fixes. Nothing complicated yet. I replaced my water pump (failed at 88k) and all my struts and shocks and even that wasn't that bad.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Bimmerfest mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-18-2017, 02:33 PM
laptop4079 laptop4079 is offline
Registered User
Location: Houston
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: To many to list
Success! It was the coil pack! I swapped cyl 5 and cyl 1 and the code moved to cyl1. I'm going to do plugs. Is it worth it to change all the coil packs? Some of them have chips on the sides. I'm going with bosch plugs and coils but they're not bmw branded to save some $$$ https://www.amazon.com/Piece-Bosch-S.../dp/B00804F080 https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-0221504...s_a_1_1&sr=8-1
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-18-2017, 02:41 PM
CALWATERBOY DUE's Avatar
CALWATERBOY DUE CALWATERBOY DUE is offline
Reregistered User
Location: Fog City, California
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 8,036
Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by laptop4079 View Post
Hello everyone I'm still new here, this is my second post. This is my first boosted car and I've been bitten by the turbo bug. But sadly things are going to shambles. I misdiagnosed a bad idler pulley as the wastgates and she burns oil pretty bad but I'm working in it. The latest catastrophe comes after a small rumble with a sports bike. I was driving it the hardest yet and as I was slowing down my ses light came on and it started misfiring without warning. This is a constant misfire like it's not even trying to fire. I've pulled the codes with inpa but I can't read german and I've tried to translate it but it just didn't work. I'm going to pull the plug and swap the coil tomorrow to see what happens. I'm just worried if it's something worse.

Edit: I guess I don't have enough posts to add a picture
http://imgur.com/a/RyY1p

Messrs. Page & Brin to the rescue....

Or [this] and pay attention to the misfire diagnosis link.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-18-2017, 06:54 PM
gordo325xiwagon's Avatar
gordo325xiwagon gordo325xiwagon is offline
Urban Knucklebuster
Location: Ormond Beach FL
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 388
Mein Auto: '01 325xit & '93 300zx TT
Yes, change all the coils. Keep the good used ones for backup, but change them all out. My 2012 had only 30k and two were bad. They are a known defect in later model three series.
__________________
__________________________________________________ ___

2001 325xit & 2012 328i Sportwagon - Evolution of the Brand

Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2015 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms