Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-18-2017, 12:59 AM
mr_clueless's Avatar
mr_clueless mr_clueless is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,286
Mein Auto: 2015 328i M-Sport
a fun trip

Drove from Roseville to Reno for the first time with the F30. I drove all the way in 3rd and 4th and occasionally 5th. Wow, it was fun. Easy access to all that passing power and the nice engine sound at high revs (revving between 3K and 5K almost all the way). The cost was probably some engine life, some brake life, and a lot of mpg (averaged < 24 mpg on the way in). Driving this way really brought the F30 to life. The highest elevation along the route is around 7200 ft. Lots of beautiful scenery--snowcapped mountains, rivers, trains, etc. About 2 hours of continuous high speed high revving fun (no bad traffic or construction along the way).

A week ago I was in a Camry rental since my F30 was in the shop getting the rear bumper fixed. I know I would not have driven that way in the Camry.

On the way back, I drove somewhat normally and the mpg went up significantly (even during the climb). By the end of the trip I was at 26+ mpg which means I had averaged around 30 mpg with normal driving. Reno is at a slightly higher elevation than Roseville so that probably contributed at least a little to the difference. It was a relatively boring ride on the way back.
__________________

2015 328i / M Sport / Alpine White / Coral Red / 4 DR / 6 MT / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 60K+ Miles / Bought 10-30-2014

Last edited by mr_clueless; 06-18-2017 at 02:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 06-18-2017, 01:18 AM
CoupeGuy CoupeGuy is offline
Registered User
Location: Las Vegas
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 85
Mein Auto: Glacier Silver 430i
This is one of the things I am finding I like most about our cars. They can be a heck of a lot of fun in Sport mode or using the transmission manually - and can be quite comfortable with power at the ready when driven in a more "normal" manner. Sounds like you had a great drive!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-18-2017, 07:58 AM
Trevon Trevon is offline
BMW Enthusiast
Location: Orange County, CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 132
Mein Auto: 2012 M3
Sounds like an awesome road trip.
__________________

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein. Trevon AKA Mini
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-20-2017, 04:55 PM
mike@x-ph.com mike@x-ph.com is offline
'Fest Sponsor
Location: Las Vegas
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,292
Mein Auto: FBO 07 e92 335i
Nice
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-21-2017, 11:38 AM
John Casey John Casey is offline
Registered User
Location: Utah
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 72
Mein Auto: 16 320i (zsp, zlp, zda)
Nice. That's what the F30 is for! (It was probably happy to be out of the valley too.)
Next time pay a visit to SR 49 and SR 89 on your (longer) way to Reno.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-21-2017, 10:23 PM
LRW70's Avatar
LRW70 LRW70 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Valley of the Sun
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 184
Mein Auto: F30 340i & 328iM Sport
Sounds like you had a ball! I can't wait to do a road trip.
__________________
Things aren't always as they seem...
Lou W
BMWCCA Member 526239
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-21-2017, 10:28 PM
namelessman namelessman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: northern california
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,634
Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
Drove from Roseville to Reno for the first time with the F30. I drove all the way in 3rd and 4th and occasionally 5th. Wow, it was fun. Easy access to all that passing power and the nice engine sound at high revs (revving between 3K and 5K almost all the way). The cost was probably some engine life, some brake life, and a lot of mpg (averaged < 24 mpg on the way in). Driving this way really brought the F30 to life. The highest elevation along the route is around 7200 ft. Lots of beautiful scenery--snowcapped mountains, rivers, trains, etc. About 2 hours of continuous high speed high revving fun (no bad traffic or construction along the way).

A week ago I was in a Camry rental since my F30 was in the shop getting the rear bumper fixed. I know I would not have driven that way in the Camry.

On the way back, I drove somewhat normally and the mpg went up significantly (even during the climb). By the end of the trip I was at 26+ mpg which means I had averaged around 30 mpg with normal driving. Reno is at a slightly higher elevation than Roseville so that probably contributed at least a little to the difference. It was a relatively boring ride on the way back.
Nice report, esp. from a E46 veteran. Most think F30 N20 engine sound at high revs is not so great, but it sounds just fine to me.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-21-2017, 10:32 PM
mr_clueless's Avatar
mr_clueless mr_clueless is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,286
Mein Auto: 2015 328i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
Nice report, esp. from a E46 veteran. Most think F30 N20 engine sound at high revs is not so great, but it sounds just fine to me.
It sounds good only at higher revs. E46 sounded awesome even at idle.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-21-2017, 11:16 PM
namelessman namelessman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: northern california
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,634
Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
It sounds good only at higher revs. E46 sounded awesome even at idle.
N26 does sounds like a I4 at idle/low rev, and its character shines from 3k to 5krpm, and then becomes strained above 5krpm.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-21-2017, 11:47 PM
Eagle11's Avatar
Eagle11 Eagle11 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Valley of the Sun
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 3,873
Mein Auto: 2017 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
N26 does sounds like a I4 at idle/low rev, and its character shines from 3k to 5krpm, and then becomes strained above 5krpm.
N20 in my 320 sounded like a diesel at idle, the B48 is completely different.

Growing up in Calif I had explored the state on my motorcycles, one of my fave rides was taking PCH up from San Diego to Santa Cruz, then through big basin, skyline drive. Then take I-80 east to Calif 49, and take it all the way down to Fresno, takes you right through gold rush country. Lots of twisty roads.. It will take moist of the day if you stop in some of the smaller town like Angle Camp and explore.
__________________
2017 330i, 475, KCL3, ZDA, ZPP, 2A5, 494, 4GA, 609, 6CP

2016 328xi GT, A86, LCOM, ZDA, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, 494, 5AC, 5DF, 5DL, BMS Stage 1, Many coded goodies. ED 8-28-2015
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2015 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms