Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
Exclamation Brake Replacement Time - Linear Braking

My pads are almost down to 3mm and will be pulling the trigger on a full brake job soon. Got a quote from an indy garage for roughly $1k for both front and back (rotors, pads, sensors) with OEM parts.

One of the very few things I miss from my old GTI was the linear brake feel and the stopping distance. I know that the RFTs on my 328i are no match for the summer tires I had on my GTI, but looking to see how I can improve braking performance with the tires I have.

One of the thing the garage suggested was that I should consider upgrading to Stoptech brakes. Approx $600 more but they claim its going to be lot closer to what I was used to.

So looking for thoughts and ideas? Note that when I got the car, the pads were probably didn't have a whole lot of meat on them. So it's possible that with a new OEM set, the brakes are going to be just as good, if not better, than my GTI.

Questions:

1. People who drove/are driving the GTI and had/have F30, with a new set of OEM brakes, are the cars comparable?

2. People who upgraded their brakes to Stoptech and/or other brakes, what are your thoughts about the extra $$ spent?

PS: I did my brake fluid flush per schedule. Also, car is a Luxury Line with 416 style wheels, just in case that matters.
Advertisement
Old 06-18-2017, 01:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 528i M-sport 5spd
$1K for parts/labor on all 4 corners looks like great price.

Bet the new pads/rotors greatly improve stopping power. Personally I'd stick with OEM setup if this is a daily driver and you don't auto-x or track the car.

Also suggest you DO NOT 'bed' your new brakes via StopTech's (or others) procedures; unless you live in the sticks it's difficult to find enough 'runway' to employ repeated speed-up, slow down cycles required to properly heat and cool the brakes. Stick with the 'go easy on the brake pedal' for 250 miles or so and you're good.

Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

Last edited by Wgosma; 06-18-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
New pads, rotors and a brake flush should give you close to a new car feel IF tires are in good condition and suspension is still reasonably tight.

Most newer car brakes are linear in application. It's wear that causes them to feel inconsistent, grabby or soft.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:53 PM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by John MS View Post
New pads, rotors and a brake flush should give you close to a new car feel IF tires are in good condition and suspension is still reasonably tight.

Most newer car brakes are linear in application. It's wear that causes them to feel inconsistent, grabby or soft.

That's good advice. And look, OP, you can do for $500 as [pads + rotors + sensors + new brake fluid] are among the easiest jobs for the Shadetree Mech.

Dude it's Summer! Git yer hands dirty....get t'know your ride.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:17 PM
<- Bailey

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
If you like the original BMW brakes, get the OEM ones if you can swing it.

Them suckers saved me from an accident with a fire truck, so I stayed with OEM, which my indy recommended. The bill is paid and gone, so I don't think about it, but the brakes stayed as good as new.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.

Last edited by Kamdog; 06-18-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:18 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Robin128
Mein Auto: 340i M Sport 8AT
Check your suspension bushes while you are at it...how many miles has your ride done?

Whole lot of servicing you can do yourself so long as any warranty allows.

One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
I considered improving initial bite on my F30 to make it more like the E90. I would have changed to firmer pads and added SS brake lines.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:04 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
$1K for parts/labor on all 4 corners looks like great price.

Bet the new pads/rotors greatly improve stopping power. Personally I'd stick with OEM setup if this is a daily driver and you don't auto-x or track the car.

Also suggest you DO NOT 'bed' your new brakes via StopTech's (or others) procedures; unless you live in the sticks it's difficult to find enough 'runway' to employ repeated speed-up, slow down cycles required to properly heat and cool the brakes. Stick with the 'go easy on the brake pedal' for 250 miles or so and you're good.

Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
10-4 regarding the bedding, Bill. Just that I have not driven a new F30 BMW. I've driven a bunch of used ones as I was purchasing mine. Mine had 40k ish when I bought it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John MS View Post

I sure hope that should do the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY DUE View Post
That's good advice. And look, OP, you can do for $500 as [pads + rotors + sensors + new brake fluid] are among the easiest jobs for the Shadetree Mech.

Dude it's Summer! Git yer hands dirty....get t'know your ride.
One thing I promised never to touch on my cars are the brakes. You know, for safety. I'm open to and have done a few different kinds of installs with youtube help, but this is just too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post
If you like the original BMW brakes, get the OEM ones if you can swing it.

Them suckers saved me from an accident with a fire truck, so I stayed with OEM, which my indy recommended. The bill is paid and gone, so I don't think about it, but the brakes stayed as good as new.
Pretty solid endorsement for OEM brakes. Looking at most replies, it's probably just that my old brakes were soft as I bought them. New install should give me the nice linear brake feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin128 View Post
Check your suspension bushes while you are at it...how many miles has your ride done?

Whole lot of servicing you can do yourself so long as any warranty allows.

At 51k miles now. Suspension was checked around 40ish k when I bought the car. Per inspection, they seemed ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
I considered improving initial bite on my F30 to make it more like the E90. I would have changed to firmer pads and added SS brake lines.
Will do some more research on this. So what pads do you recommend?

And stainless steel brake lines like this one? - http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/stain...8dx-p1521.aspx

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2017, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i M-sport 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIto328i View Post
10-4 regarding the bedding, Bill. Just that I have not driven a new F30 BMW. I've driven a bunch of used ones as I was purchasing mine. Mine had 40k ish when I bought it.

One thing I promised never to touch on my cars are the brakes. You know, for safety. I'm open to and have done a few different kinds of installs with youtube help, but this is just too much.

Thanks!
Brake pad and rotor replacement is quite simple/straightforward; sure, if you're not comfortable with doing the work just pay the mechanic. I'm not an auto mechanic but I'm reasonably proficient with a wrench , I've owned 8 BMW's and I always perform my own pad/rotor (and brake bleeding) work - frankly I feel more comfortable driving the car after I work on it than when a mechanic does.

That price of you were quoted is very reasonable if it includes parts and labor.

Good Luck/ Bill
Old 06-19-2017, 12:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 328i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Just switching to the M sport's Euro-spec pads would probably help a bit (since OP's car is Luxury line they have US spec pads for reduced brake dust).

2015 328i / M Sport / Alpine White / Coral Red / 4 DR / 6 MT / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 60K+ Miles / Bought 10-30-2014
Old 06-19-2017, 08:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
Quote:
It will, however pay close attention to the IF. Slapping performance pads on your car may get you little more than noise and brake dust.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
Quote:

Pretty solid endorsement for OEM brakes. Looking at most replies, it's probably just that my old brakes were soft as I bought them. New install should give me the nice linear brake feel.

At 51k miles now. Suspension was checked around 40ish k when I bought the car. Per inspection, they seemed ok.

Will do some more research on this. So what pads do you recommend?

And stainless steel brake lines like this one? - http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/stain...8dx-p1521.aspx

Thanks!
I never did it so never chose these components.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:55 PM

Mein Auto: 328ix
Brake parts pricing vary widely 30-40% for the same products. I have used Rockauto.com for most of my parts needs. I don't change my own oil but always do brakes and tune ups. Relatively easy work that can save you hundreds of $. I started doing them again myself after watching a shop work on my car and was putting inferior thinner rotors on. Why because that's what an auto parts sent them. If I wasn't watching, I would not have known until overheating and warping the rotors months later.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search