Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-18-2017, 12:47 PM

Mein Auto: -
Which car is cheaper to insure? (E46 / E36)

Hey
I'm 17, and really looking to buy a BMW from Germany, my budget is ~2500 Euro.
I barely make more than $100 per month from some little business, so I'm confused which model should I choose.(My parents could pay the gasoline, so my money is only for the maintence)
My dad has a 525xi e60, since that, I really like the BMW's, even if I gotta spend all my money on it, I don't have to finance my life yet.
I was looking from 316-s to 325-s, and I'd prefer E46(preferably automatic) No diesel, as I heard those cost more when its about the service.
So, what are your opinions? Which has the less problems, and easiest to upkeep?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by tamas.suh; 06-18-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Advertisement
Old 06-18-2017, 01:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325ci
$100 per month = no BMW.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:26 PM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Jeep, 1 Vespa
Agree with the above, $100 a month means bus pass.

As far as which is cheaper on insurance, likely the older car. Not sure what insurance rates are in Hungary but here in US (this is mostly a US based forum) you'd spend most of that $100 on insurance, although it would vary based on location / coverage / driving record. The problem is all these cars are old and the ones on a show string budget will need work. You and / or Dad are would need to be handy with wrenches.

Old 06-18-2017, 03:42 PM

Mein Auto: '02 BMW 325Ci Convertible
Here in the US, a teenager would be hard pressed to find minimal coverage insurance for a Yugo for less than $100 a week.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:48 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
There are several factors involved with insuring any car:
Liability: Your age, driving record, and location all play a part here....

The vehicle being insured: Is it just liability insurance, or more comprehensive ? (i. e., Fire, Theft, etc.) Any vehicle being financed must have comprehensive coverage.

Age of the car is not as relevant as the cost of the parts to repair it....

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 06-18-2017, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
I have a preference for the E46 body style over the E36. Some of the shortcomings of the E36 were solved in the E46 (and some were not). The E46 has a very nice body style.

In any case, keeping a BMW on $100 per month will be difficult (as stated by some of the above posts).

If you are still up for the challenge, perhaps an E46 318i with manual transmission would be the best choice (a 316i would be similar, but with less power). These have 4-cylinder engines, which would cost a bit less, in terms of maintenance and insurance. The 6-cylinder cars, such as 320i, 323i, 325i, and so forth, will probably be more expensive to maintain and insure. Avoid automatic transmissions, if possible.

BMW CCA member

Last edited by alpinweiss; 06-18-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:08 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
If available in your area, you might want to look for an E46 318ti, with a manual trans. Being a bit shorter, they are also a couple hundred pounds lighter than a full-sized sedan, which will help make up for some of that 4-cylinder`s power deficiency (compared to the 6-cylinder version).

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 06-19-2017, 03:43 AM

Mein Auto: -
Thanks for the replies.
Here, in Hungary its much much cheaper, than in the US. I read in the official service station(if its called like that) it's like a hundred buck per hour, its like $10-20 per hour here afaik. Same for the new/used parts, its much cheaper.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:02 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 325xi
you should probably ask an insurance agent instead of people here in the forum, they will give you an estimate on how much your monthly will be and you could ask for ideas on how to reduce your rates. I keep older high mileage cars and they all have liability only which is around $20 a month, the higher the # cylinders (v8) it will be an additional $4. I also added in $1 roadside service every month for each car. Age of the car doesn't seem to matter in liability only coverage since it's just the minimum to be street legal.

https://www.facebook.com/diybmwe46/
Old 06-19-2017, 01:20 PM

Mein Auto: '00 323i/97 528i/05 X5
I agree with the checking local for that info. Even in the united states the insurance rates vary a bunch. Any info we have on rates would be completely different than the rates for where you are.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search