P0313 P0171 P0174 (on after dealership repair) - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-18-2017, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 330ci MT
P0313 P0171 P0174 (on after dealership repair)

Long story short, I purchased the vehicle, and these codes were on. Took it to the dealer and this is what they did.

Car: 2002 BMW 330ci 5speed
Mileage: 150,xxx

B0B1SA - Fuel Tank Breath
B0B1MIRRSA- Filler Cap
B1SA - Pressure Regulating
B1SA- Vent Pipe
B1SA- Connecting Line
B1SA-Return pipe
B1SA-Vent Hose

Tech Comments on repair order:
Connected vehicle to INSTA/D.
Surveyed fault memories.
Faults stored in engine electronics.
#1 Fuel trim bank 1 and bank 2 mixture too lean. smoked checked crank-case system found minor smoke weepage at lower vent valve and oil drain return.
#2 Faulty tank-ventilation solenoid valve and a worn gas cap.
--End tech comments

My service engine soon light stayed off for about 50 miles, and came back on. I am on my second tank of gas since then (always refill with 91 or 93 if 91 not available), and the light will periodically turn off, and stay off for a few hours (or stay off overnight), and then turn back on.

I'm taking it to a performance shop that deals with only BMW's. I am so confused after spending $800 on the above, what else it could possibly be because the car runs great, even in cold starts.

Happy fathers day to any1 reading this!
Advertisement
Old 06-18-2017, 03:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 BMW 325Ci Convertible
If your Fuel Pump is original, it may be time to replace it. You can check if it's original rather easily:

Remove the bottom rear seat.
Remove the 4 nuts holding the Fuel Pump cover in place on the passenger side.
Inspect the top of the Fuel Pump. If it's filthy dirty and has one of those 'use once only clamps' on the OUT line, your pump is more than likely original to the car.

I chased the P0171/0174 Code for a few months. I've not seen it since replacing my original Fuel Pump - which provided service for 135k miles.

Last edited by All2kool; 06-18-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All2kool View Post
If your Fuel Pump is original, it may be time to replace it. You can check if it's original rather easily:

Remove the bottom rear seat.
Remove the 4 nuts holding the Fuel Pump in place on the passenger side.
Inspect the top of the Fuel Pump. If it's filthy dirty and has one of those 'use once only clamps' on the OUT line, your pump is more than likely original to the car.

I chased the P0171/0174 Code for a few months. I've not seen it since replacing my original Fuel Pump - which provided service for 135k miles.
Oh boy, really wasn't hoping for that, but if has to be done, it's gonna get done. for some good news tomorrow.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330low View Post
Oh boy, really wasn't hoping for that, but if has to be done, it's gonna get done. for some good news tomorrow.
Edit: Remove the 4 nuts holding the Fuel Pump cover in place on the passenger side.

Changing out the Fuel Pump is a breeze. The first time you do it, it'll take an hour. The next time, twenty minutes. And a new Fuel Pump assembly is not that expensive.

Last edited by All2kool; 06-18-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Edit: Remove the 4 nuts holding the Fuel Pump cover in place on the passenger side.

Changing out the Fuel Pump is a breeze. The first time you do it, it'll take an hour. The next time, twenty minutes. And a new Fuel Pump assembly is not that expensive.
If the technician tomorrow, or within the next week concludes that it's the fuel pump..I'll take that advice.

It's seriously that easy to change? I don't have much exp. repairing things on cars in general.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i 4 door DD
Other than changing the MAF, this is the easiest DIY.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=592414
Buy a Siemens/VDO pump, it's original equipment, or Genuine BMW, and a new gasket. Buy a generic hose clamp.
Run your tank to 1/4 full or less.
Disconnect Battery.
Gasket goes on the tank, not the pump.
Pelican also has a DIY for the E36, which is the same, and there is probably a YouTube video out there.
Definitely a rookie doable DIY.
Only tools needed are a big screwdriver, hammer, 4 in 1 screwdriver, something to cut the original hose clamp with and a beginner socket set.
About $160 for the pump and gasket,versus $400-500 for a mechanic to install.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Last edited by DEADF15H; 06-19-2017 at 04:42 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330low View Post
If the technician tomorrow, or within the next week concludes that it's the fuel pump..I'll take that advice.

It's seriously that easy to change? I don't have much exp. repairing things on cars in general.
It is a very easy job to change a Fuel Pump. There are just four nuts holding the cover in place. There is a securing ring on the pump assembly that holds the pump in place. I used a large bladed screwdriver and a few whacks with a hammer to loosen the ring (it is notched). You really do not need to disconnect the battery as you will be disconnecting the pump before removing. The plug on the pump loosens at a slight angle and then lifts straight off. If your fuel pump is original, you will have to cut the clamp on the OUT line off. I used wire cutters myself. There may be other ways. The less fuel in the tank the better and of course, no smoking while doing this job.

As noted - the rubber ring is secured to the opening and then the pump assembly fits snugly into it. You will feel it as it seats itself.

The first time I did this, it took me 45 minutes or so. The next time, just twenty.

Last edited by All2kool; 06-19-2017 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:42 AM

One of the possible causes of the P0171/0174 is a 'soft failing' fuel pump. This is a condition where the pump does not deliver enough fuel all of the time, thereby by throwing a lean code. After I changed my fuel pump, I never saw either code.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:06 AM
jcase

Mein Auto: 2002 330CI
Just a quick note in the 1st shops defense...
The faulty ventilation code could cause the lean codes.
The shop needs to start with what is definitely wrong 1st.
Then if a code comes back after the repairs it needs to be re diagnosed.
As a tech I don't want to spend my time (your money) trying to diagnose something that I may have already repaired.

The debate starts with whether or not the second diagnosis should be charged for or not.
The extra repairs... defiantly... it would have been charged for if it was found the 1st time.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcase View Post
Just a quick note in the 1st shops defense...
The faulty ventilation code could cause the lean codes.
The shop needs to start with what is definitely wrong 1st.
Then if a code comes back after the repairs it needs to be re diagnosed.
As a tech I don't want to spend my time (your money) trying to diagnose something that I may have already repaired.

The debate starts with whether or not the second diagnosis should be charged for or not.
The extra repairs... defiantly... it would have been charged for if it was found the 1st time.
Hey, thanks for being a technician, that **** is hard. I used to be a service writer so I understand where you're coming from. I would never fault the technician for something like this, but as consumers we expect instant gratification. I put on my mature cap on and bit my tongue, and they actually treated me great when I came to get it this morning.

The bimmer was fixed today. cost me $78. I wasn't charged for the additional inspection.

Tech comments:
Connected vehicle to TSTA/D. Surveyed fault memories. Lean mixture faults at bank 1 and 2. Smoke tested engine again. Vacuum leak present. No leaks found at the top of the motor. Raised vehicle and found minor leakage under fuel filter protection pan. Cracked vacuum hose at the fuel filter pressure regulator. Replaced vacuum line at the location and found dry rot at vacuum line from vacuum canister to intake manifold. Replaced 2 ft of vacuum hose and installed new vacuum plug underneath.
/end Tech comments.

I appreciate all the help from you guys. I was reluctant to post about this mainly because I searched the forums for about 2 days trying/hoping it was something I could easily fix myself.

I can't wait to get 2 new rear tires on the staggered setup, so I can show it for you guys

God bless, and i hope you all have a great day!
Old 06-21-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
One of the possible causes of the P0171/0174 is a 'soft failing' fuel pump. This is a condition where the pump does not deliver enough fuel all of the time, thereby by throwing a lean code. After I changed my fuel pump, I never saw either code.
That's what I initially thought after you mentioned it. The car ran great so I was stumped trying to figure it out. Everybody who had issues with these codes seemed to be able to hear the air leak SOMEWHERE based on the forum feedback, and youtube upload courtesy of the OP's. I couldn't hear anything, where I was looking.

I'm just glad I got my baby back!
Old 06-22-2017, 10:40 PM
Coupe OR Never

Mein Auto: '02 - 325ci
Vacuum leak is the most common but in my case it was the MAF sensor.
It can be many things really. Those lean codes are pain in the rear end.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search