LED Headlight and Parking Assistant Questions - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 440i ED Sep M3 325iT 2002
LED Headlight and Parking Assistant Questions

For 2018 4 Series, anyone who wants the headlight upgrade (552 Adaptive Full HL/5AC automatic high beams) must get the Exec Pack which comes with Side and Top View cameras and Parking Assistant. I don't want the Parking Asistant but fear I need the 552 headlights given that the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's tests on BMW lights seems to rate them poor unless they are adaptive and have automatic high beams.

1- If you have the basic 5A2 projector beam LEDs, how good do you judge them at night?

2- If you have Parking Assistant, can you use the side and top cameras without activating the parking assistant?

Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 06-19-2017, 06:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328 xi wagon
I have not gotten anyone to agree with me, but I have been happy with less than the brightest lights. An old Canadian study compared halogen to brighter xenon lights, and even though a driver could see an unlighted object further ahead with the brighter xenon lights, the rate of night time accidents did not decrease. An army colonel once told me that a guard with a light is visible from a great distance beyond the beam of light to every intruder, but the guard himself cannot see the intruder beyond the beam of light. What do we want to see beyond the beam of our headlights? How about the tail lights of an old pick up truck? The small flasher strapped to a bicyclist's leg? A pedestrian in town crossing the street under a dim street light? A deer on the road in the moonlight? The unlighted object that is seen further away in the brighter light is the advantage of the brightest lights, but the brightest lights blind us to things beyond the beams that we could see with dimmer lights.

In short, I wouldn't worry too much if you decide not to spring for the parking assist.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi
Pretty sure you can just activate the cameras without the PA.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search