BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

The official E9x OT thread!

2M views 4K replies 138 participants last post by  i🫶myN54 
#1 ·
Many of you have asked for it... so here it is.

While this is OT, all of the rules still apply. Keep in mind that personal attacks an NSFW material will get posters in hot water.

Enjoy.

- Mike

#3,195 · (Edited)
CA, is that a beginners class?
. :eeps:
The participants in the class will have varying levels of experience but it could be considered a beginners class. There will be classroom training and then you will be assigned a partner and a car that you and your partner will share. The cars are single seater open wheel race cars so you alternate track sessions with your partner. Your partner will help strap you into the car, hand your helmet, etc. The school will provide helmets and racing suits.

There will be excercises in threshold braking, trail braking, heel and toe downshifting, double clutching etc. By the last day you will be lapping the track as fast as you can. After sucessfully competing this class you will be qualified to participate in Advanced Activities such as Car Control Clinics, and the Advanced Two Day Racing School. There is a lot of seat time over the 4 days and the instructors are top notch. I have taken the course several times and two of my instructors have podium finishes (including two first places) in the Daytona 24 Hour.

A wide variety of people take the course and your classmates will probably include enthusiasts who will take the course and never return to a track and drivers who are interested in racing as amateurs or professionals. Graduates of the course include Danica Patrick, Juan Pablo Montoya, Marco Andretti, Jeff Gordon and others. Jerry Seinfeld took the course and if you look at the refrigerator in his TV kitchen there is a Skip Barber Racing School refrigerator magnet on the door.

CA

#3,198 ·
Sad news:

Just heard that Carroll Shelby passed away.

CA

#3,200 ·
#3,202 · (Edited)
I start on Saturday. Thanks for the support, everyone!

P.S. Chryslers are re-badged Fiats.
Congratulations!

Good luck at the new job.

Speaking of Chryslers, one of the members of the Chowder Club found this "barn find" 1937 Chrysler LeBaron Limosine that is a one of a kind created for Walter P. Chrysler's wife.

CA

#3,203 · (Edited)
Black Beauty's bumper has been restored. I ended up taking it to a mobile automotive painter recommended by a fellow BMW CCA member. He has a trailer and can come to you to do minor painting but really works primarily out of one location behind a leasing company where they re-sell lease returns. Since that place is close to my office I just dropped it off with him in the morning and he repainted the front bumper and blended the fender. He did an excellent job. I can't tell at all where the "wound" was and that the car was painted. I'm sure a professional can. :)

My front bumper feels almost as smooth now as it did when it came from the factory, which is amazing considering the amount of road rash it had. The whole thing cost a fraction of what the body shops quoted me. I was hesitant to shell out $1,000 - $2,000 when I could be in an accident tomorrow needing bumper replacement. My wife's Acadia has a small issue too that was present when the bought the car used and I think I'll use this fella again to make it disappear. :thumbup:

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

#3,206 ·
Not hot enough to fry an egg but hot enough for a medium rare steak! Taken at 2:15 this afternoon in NH with a 72F air temperature.
It's the top of the dashboard taken through the windshield, hence the reflection of the trees.
Does thus progress linearly, you think? If I have my car in the Texas sun at 100F air, is the dash at almost 200? (I like my steak medium-well :eeps:).

#3,209 ·
It is very good and so is elk.

CA

#3,214 ·
It's BMW Drive for Team USA time again. Last year I got to drive the new 650i convertible, which was really quite awesome. I doubt I'll ever own a car with so little utility and that kind of a price tag, but perhaps the midlife crisis will bring it along. ;) Today I'll be driving the new 3-er. I'm guessing they'll have some 328s and some 335s. I'd personally like to give the 328i a try to see how the 4-cylinder turbo does! :thumbup: Has anyone gone to the event already?

#3,224 · (Edited)
I did one. The new turbo 4 in the F30 seemed more lively than the NA 6, but both were autos (and we had to leave them in full nanny mode). The new 335i didn't seem as responsive as the previous model (they had one of each), but that could have been break-in or adaptations.

The 135i was a blast, but it's maybe a bit small/light for my taste for a DD. The most unexpected fun (well, unexpected to most, as I'd already driven one on the track at the PDC) was the X5 diesel. Once you get over how heavy it is, you realize it has enough torque, braking, and a suspension that lets you really push it around the course. People didn't believe me, then some drove it and pushed it and came back with big grins.

Overall, I got to drive 2 335is (an E90 and F30), two 328is (again, E90 and F30), a Z4, the 135i (with the N55) and the X5d. Also got to ride in a race-prepped 1M, one of the few around (I guess?) as well as a race-prepped E36 and E46 (both //M). Very fun.

Now all you need to do is remove the 5, 0, L, and i and move it over a little....a //M 7!! :bigpimp:

#3,215 ·
#3,218 · (Edited)
Picked up a 750iL on Friday. So far I like it. I'll post pics.

I am considering putting an ///M badge on the back just to see how long the thread whining about it wii be .

CA

#3,219 ·
Picked up a 750iL on Friday. So far I like it. I'll post pics.

I am considering putting an ///M badge on the back just to see how long the thread whining about it wii be .

CA
Is this the beginning of the diaspora of E9X owners? At least you seem not to be straying too far.

#3,220 ·
Sneak preview on a 'lowly' 745:

#3,223 ·
///m 750

#3,226 ·
Door Dings???

So, while you are busy parking your multiple Ferarri's in your "garage" do you really worry about door dings?

Photos taken at the Cayman Motor Museum.

FWIW:
This is a very nice private collection just "hangin' out" just a few hundred yards north of the Turtle Farm on Grand Cayman.

Fun for me, was snorkling the Wreck of the "Cali" 100 yards off the beach in Georgetown. This is my first venture into underwater photography. Taken with my "old" Nikon 5700 Coolpix in a Dicapac housing.

My definition of success: One "in focus" photograph.... Lucky me! Lots more than one!!

#3,233 ·
Greenwich Concours this weekend.
American cars today, foreign tomorrow.
Will post pics tomorrow night.

CA

#3,234 ·
Thinking of upgrading from Droid 2 to Droid 4. I wouldn't go with droid except I like the keyboard. Anyone, here, use a droid 4? What do you think?

Also, i read it can't be used outside the US...is this correct?

#3,235 ·
Thinking of upgrading from Droid 2 to Droid 4. I wouldn't go with droid except I like the keyboard. Anyone, here, use a droid 4? What do you think?
The screen sucks big time. Moto should have put the screen from the RAZR on the D4.

Also, i read it can't be used outside the US...is this correct?
Published specs don't include GSM bands, so use outside of the U.S. is highly doubtful.

#3,240 ·
Sonax. Wow!

My son gave me a spray bottle of Sonax wheel cleaner, he said I had to try it. Today I got out my old oem wheels to prep for CtoC4. They had an entire Summer's worth of brake dust on the interior barrel portion and have been stored like that for 8 months.
I sprayed it on, it's a light green. In minutes it had turned red indicating a reaction with iron particles and dust. I softly wiped each with a sponge just to shmear it around a little. I hosed it off.
Words fail to describe how good this product is, you're going to have to try it to believe it. I have just about every wheel cleaner product known to man, and a few known to woman. Sonax is in another category. :thumbup:

#3,242 ·
Remember, if you'd like to get in on the Climb to the Clouds Auction then go to www.avilazar.com and put in your bids. The 50/50 cash raffle requires that you paypal me the funds by friday.

#3,250 ·
The new 8 speed feels like a dual clutch on downshifts. I was very disappointed in the electro-mechanical steering. I like the 335is's steering. I work for BMW of Rockville, here in MD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.