BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

full m5 exhaust installed on my 550xi

12K views 39 replies 21 participants last post by  Sam-F10 
#1 ·
here are some quick pics. i'll post more after a wash

one pic had the new tips vs the old smaller tips to show the difference. used the full m5 exhaust all the way up to the downpipes (which they had to modify to fit). even the guys at the shop were surprised on how mean this thing sounds. 100x's better sounding with no drone at all. I'll try to get sound clips by the end of the week.

quick vid of the car warming up this morning.

phone recording when inside the car. Some cruising and some acceleration. cops were out so didn't want to press my luck :lol:

See less See more
2 3
#4 ·
I know about the diffuser needing to be changed but very interested on other modifications that had to be done to make it work let us know? I am doing this the second I can find a M5 exhaust were did you find yours?

Also was told most of the other pipe is the same except for the mufflers.

Nice Job well worth it.

#11 ·
I know about the diffuser needing to be changed but very interested on other modifications that had to be done to make it work let us know? I am doing this the second I can find a M5 exhaust were did you find yours?

Also was told most of the other pipe is the same except for the mufflers.

Nice Job well worth it.
the piping is larger at 3" but pretty much the same besides that. the only part that was different was the connection to the downpipes. the shop just modified that piece to get it to bolt up.

That sounds great, nicely done! Where did you get the work done? I'm thinking of further modding my setup and could use a shop recommendation.
i went to ams autowerks in linden nj. great guys there.

Sound good. Left tips are crooked (both in photo and video), though.
might be the pics, dunno:dunno: i just went out and measured and its even

Damn sweet. I had planned on getting the 550 diffuser and just installing quad tips which I like the quad tip look much better. I always thought about the m5 diffuser instead which is painted the same color as the car. I feel it makes the rear look more aggressive than a diffuser painted another color which makes the rear just look to small and less aggressive. The did the m5 diffuser install pretty simple or you had to have some work done to it?
m5 diffuser was a bit of a pain to get on because i have the CA. We had to trim a plastic piece off the bumper and double side tape the CA sensors to the body of the car.

Looks sick, how much for the change?
paid 850 for the exhaust and another 650 for install and tips.

#5 ·
That sounds great, nicely done! Where did you get the work done? I'm thinking of further modding my setup and could use a shop recommendation.

#26 ·
raj
u didnt like the ghetto muffler hack set up u did on ur 550:rofl:
sorry i couldnt resist! we told u back in the day an 80k car deserve a real exhaust job

please dont do the same on the new x5:thumbup:

#10 ·
Damn sweet. I had planned on getting the 550 diffuser and just installing quad tips which I like the quad tip look much better. I always thought about the m5 diffuser instead which is painted the same color as the car. I feel it makes the rear look more aggressive than a diffuser painted another color which makes the rear just look to small and less aggressive. The did the m5 diffuser install pretty simple or you had to have some work done to it?

#14 ·
to mount the m5 exhaust its ideal as it lines right up. if not they would need to modify the mufflers to fit the stock m sport diffuser. there is plenty of room so shouldn't be a hard adjustment. they can build you a custom full exhaust as well for around the same price if you wanted a louder setup

#21 ·
How much just to paint the diffuser?

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Bimmer App

#22 ·
Sounds great! Is your car automatic?

#24 ·
Yeah, I got the diffuser from getbmwparts. Brought it out to a paint&body shop and they wanted $350 for paint and install. Is this reasonable?

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Bimmer App

#28 ·
Very nice, topaz923. Looks and sounds great!

I been thinking about putting this exhaust on my '13 528i xDrive. If I get the same rear diffuser as the one you got, do you know if it would fit my car? Or would I need a whole new bumper? I'm curious because the stock 528xi bumper is not cut out for dual exhaust; it only has one opening on the left side for the exhaust. Any insight would be appreciated!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.