BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

part number for light bulb

6K views 43 replies 9 participants last post by  flyboyy 
#1 · (Edited)
Good Morning all,

Hope someone can help me identify the part number for a bulb...

I started up the car today ..and drove for a while and then when I shut down the car... my instrument cluster said "Check side marker" so I checked the front lights...

and all lights working except the side light... on the corner...which is Yellow... in the headlamp assembly...

I forgot the website address to check the part numbers.. was it www.realoem.com ?

Thanks.

whoops.. found the site..

I came up with 2 P/n.. not sure which to use... any ideas ?

06 BULB YELLOW 2 09/2000 63217160900 $5.96

06 Longlife bulb 12V 21W H21W 2 09/2000 63217160788 $11.70

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
#4 ·
Please look at the picture.. I have circled it in red... that is the part that I need replaced... and I had removed the Front light assembly and that part does not come out and I do not see any place where I can remove the bulb.. any ideas ? the driver side is fine... light comes on....yellow. and the error message I get is... Check side Marker.

Auto part Diagram Automotive exterior Automotive fuel system Automotive engine part

#7 · (Edited)
... and I had removed the Front light assembly and that part does not come out and I do not see any place where I can remove the bulb.. any ideas ?
do I have to remove the light assembly completely in order to switch out that bulb ? anyone had this issue before ?

Thanks.
This is confusing, did you remove the headlight assembly or not?

If you can't squeeze your hand into the tight spaces to remove the bulb base, you obviously have no choice but to slide the headlight out. There are just a few torx screws holding it in place so doing so is less than 5 mins.

Once you remove the bulb socket, look closely at the bulb for printing of the generic bulb number or refer to the above: yellow or amber, go to autoparts store, compare and buy the matching bulb. These are not BMW EXCLUSIVE BULBS.

Part #6 is held in by two clips which you squeeze to remove the socket. These clips have a tendency to break if you squeeze to hard.

Unless someone superglued your socket to the housing, I am not sure why it is so difficult to get the bulb out.

#6 ·
Just double checked with the error message ..it said "check side lights"

and the light behind the front wheel is working when I signal.

The issue is the front light assembly..corner lights which has a yellow lense...that has issues which i circle on the diagram..and it looks separate with the turn signal... which is #6 on the diagram.

do I have to remove the light assembly completely in order to switch out that bulb ? anyone had this issue before ?

Thanks.

#8 ·
Bulb #6 is the only bulb behind the amber lens. You slightly squeeze (lightly!) the clip part and rotate about 10 degrees and it all slips backward and out with the bulb. At least.... that's how it works on my car....

Question: are you getting the message even though all your lights are working?

#9 ·
Bulb #6 with socket that you guys are referring to is circled Green in the pic...

the thing I am having issues with is circled in RED... there is another bulb in that place.. but I cant find a way to remove it..without.. taking the light assembly out..
I checked my driver side and indeed that lense lights up with a bulb inside...

and my passenger side is the one that has a problem and does not light up.

bulb #6 which is your signal bulbs... for signaling right and left turns.

any ideas ?

Attachments

#10 ·
Bulb #6 with socket that you guys are referring to is circled Green in the pic...

the thing I am having issues with is circled in RED... there is another bulb in that place.. but I cant find a way to remove it..without.. taking the light assembly out..
I checked my driver side and indeed that lense lights up with a bulb inside...

and my passenger side is the one that has a problem and does not light up.

bulb #6 which is your signal bulbs... for signaling right and left turns.

any ideas ?
Yes bulbs #6 is the turn, you have to pull out the socket but be careful the socket breaks easily.

#11 ·
I have circled bulb 6 in red color...

and the problem I am having is circled in Green

there is a bulb inside... and I cant see anyway to remove that except taking the whole thing apart.

anyone have a clue how I can get to that bulb which I circled in green ?

the driver side bulb is on... but the passenger side... is out and which is throwing the code.. Check side Lights.

anyone ?

Attachments

#12 ·
I have circled bulb 6 in red color...

and the problem I am having is circled in Green

there is a bulb inside... and I cant see anyway to remove that except taking the whole thing apart.

anyone have a clue how I can get to that bulb which I circled in green ?

the driver side bulb is on... but the passenger side... is out and which is throwing the code.. Check side Lights.

anyone ?
there is no bulb inside what you circled it is a part of the halo.
try changing the halo bulbs.

#17 ·
Op, as others stated, that is NOT a bulb, that is a fiber optic, powered by your halo (angel eye) bulb. You will probably notice the angel eyes are not working on the side with the side marker light out. That bulb can ONLY be purchesed from the dealer, or from some online BMW parts sellers. If you can meet the minimum for free shipping (usually $50 or $65) I would try ordering it from rmeuropean.com or autohausaz.com.

#18 ·
my angel eyes are working fine...

its just that corner yellow reflective lense that is out.

so do you think by... ordering a halo bulb it will resolve the problem ?

or perhaps... the fiber optic is broken from the halo bulb to that area ?

cuz my angel eyes are all working fine.

#19 ·
This is very confusing. You are getting an indication on your cluster that you have a light out...and based on your description, that is the angel eye bulb. The orange side light you pointed, is not powered by a bulb directly, but by a fiber optic from the angel eye bulb. Yet you claim your angel eyes are working. I think you need to check again in the dark, with every thing powered up. And then check your dash display again as well and report back. Something is not right....

I was going to say the fiber optic is messed up, but you have a "bulb out" warning, so something is amiss...

#20 ·
can you post a picture of the lights in the front on? so we can see what you are talking about. i have changed out my headlights 3 times (from oem to ebay chrome housing to depos) and i have never seen a bulb in that reflector area. unless face lifted headlights have them.the bulb in green looks like the bulb for the low beam and the red is the signal.turn on the lights and see if they turn on, and then turn the signal on and see if they flash. sometimes the wires in the bulbs burn out and although they may turn on, they may not flash (or the opposite way around).

#21 ·
2001-2003 oem Hella (aka "face lifted") lights are different that previous versions. As I stated, the side orange light is illumated via a fibre optic transmission from the halogen bulb illuminating the angel eye (halos).

#22 ·
Later tonight.. I will take a pictures of both sides... the passenger and driver side...

thats why I am soo confused ... everything works except that corner... light and I cant get to it...

will post pics later...... btw my car is a 2003 bmw 530i.

Thanks.

#24 ·
Guys, his amber turn signal bulb bit the dust, and the OP does not know how to remove it. I never had to replace that bulb myself, and obviously you guys neither. If you don't know, don't speculate AND POINT THE OP IN THE WRONG DIRECTION.

Flybot, you are on the right track. I have no idea where and how to remove that turn signal bulb. Try to google it, or check different other forums, maybe you can find a lead somwhere. Then, maybe you can let us know how to change that pesky bulb. That bulb does not connect to the fibre optic cables. The halo bulb is doing this illuminating the rings and 2 dots on the amber sidemarker making it look like a LED light.

#25 · (Edited)
I have actually had the complete headlight assembly apart on my 2001...there is no bulb in the amber corner marker. There are FOUR bulbs in the headlight. HID (low beam), high beam, angel eye (halo) and turn signal. Please show me in the OP's picture above this side marker bulb you both think exists?

I am begining to suspect the OP may have a non oem bulb for his angle eye illumination. That may account for the bulb warning AND the side light not illuminating, as some of the aftermarket LED conversions do not allow the light to hit the fiber optic correctly. Either that, or he is simply confused in his description of his problem, and why the picture request is a good one.

I am not speculating, I am trying to correctly diagnose his problem, but he is not making sense, based on my understanding of the headlights I have disassembled (same model type).

#27 ·
Why cant you just take out the bulb, go to a auto parts store and ask the counter help to get a new bulb like the burnt out one? Im not aware of any BMW specific bulbs on these cars.
Ive never seen a guy look up a bulb part number. They just look at the bulb, go the the shelf and get a new one.

#29 ·
you really dont need to pull the bulbs out...they do have books next to the bulbs that show the bulb type for different cars. hell, i went in checkers (i still call them checkers) and looked around for a bit, an employee asked if i need help and i told him what bulb on the headlight needed replacing and he went to his computer,and got the bulb type and told me which one.grabbed it, bought it, installed it no problem...

#32 ·
I just checked for the bulb he's talked about .. it's powered by the halo bulbs, i removed the halo bulb while they were on and well.. results include the light he's stating turning off, and as soon as i plugged or tried plugging the halo back in, it started to illuminate untill i had it clipped back into place which in return the light illuminated as before.... so i'm going to say either his turn signal is out.. or i'm really confused and can't understand the matter.

#33 ·
HELLO! Thank you, someone finally went and actually LOOKED at this style headlight assembly and sees there IS NO BULB behind the orange side marker. Once again, it is powered by the halo or "angel eye" bulb through a fiber optic source.

#36 ·
My car is an 03, so im 100% with 540 M Sport on this.. it's the halo bulb unless your turn signal is out... try using the hazard lights and checking all your bulbs, if they all work, check halos.. by using only parking lamps and unplug your halo bulb and replug it.. while it's on you'll clearly see if it's working on not, pictures would be awesome if you could take them with hazards, halos, and regular headlights on so we can really see whats going on and so everyone can be on the same page.. PLEASE GET BACK WITH PICTURES.. it will only make it that much easier.

#37 ·
Ok guys update

OK GUYS.... I think you guys are right about my halo bulb being out.. because... Here is a picture of it.... btw... what is the part # I need to buy for the replacement halo ? as you can see.. the side where I have the issue is the passenger side and that side the halo is totally out... and my driver side... is still working....

and also do you think this is a good time to change both sides of the halo bulb to a Brighter color HIDS ?

let me know... or should I just get....OEM...

Thanks.

Attachments

#39 ·
Ta da!! I like being right.... ;) lol

#43 ·
You have the same year and model as mine.
I would love to go Orion 2, which are extremely bright. The problem is, you need to open the headlight to replace the rings. And our headlights are very hard to open - almost impossible. Mark@EAC knows how to do that and for a fee, I am sure he can install the Orions 2. But only for some minor cosmetic change you will be spending a very considerable amount of $$. Very considerable.
You can go with some e-bay specials which nowadays go very cheap, or you can sink some more $$ and buy from Umnitza and have (hopefully) some warranty - peace of mind if you will. There will be no visible difference between any of the LED replacement you will buy, wether they are Weisslicht, Umnitza, DDM Tuning or e-bay specials. In terms of luminosity they will all look the same and you will not be able to tell the difference. The e-bay specials might last 2 1/2 years if you're lucky. The "branded" ones supposedly last longer.
Not sure how the pic was taken, but you can check this here to see how an ordinary e-bay special AE looks

#44 ·
Ok boys and girls.... I had finally got around replacing the Halo bulbs...

and that fixed my problem, I bought these LEDs and they are bright...

link

anyone bought from this seller before ? install was easy.... but the connectors did not fit in smoothly...I had to use some force on one of them.. hopefully these will last me 5+ years lol..

they look sweeet in the day, cant wait to see what it looks like at night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.