BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Engine Malfunction - Reduced Power

201K views 260 replies 97 participants last post by  LadyDiYer 
#1 ·
I got a warning today that said Engine Malfunction - Reduced Power on my 2008 535xi. I took it to the closest dealer but I couldn't leave it there b/c I was on my way into work and they are 35 miles from where I live and had no loaners. There is no public transportation and I need a car.

They brought a mechanic over and he said that it sounds exactly like a fuel pump issue and the car will limit power to the engine and I'll be fine driving on it and I can take it to my local dealer tomorrow. He said that it is a safety function and the car makes sure to limit itself so no damage is done.

The car sputters a little when it starts up and drives fine once it is going (perhaps the slightest shake when I slow to a stop but that could be the road.

Does this sound like a fuel pump issue and if so what does that essentially mean. How long am I likely to be without a car? Also not that I have much of a choice but should I be fine driving about 30 miles home on a highway with absolutely no traffic? I'll obviously not push it at this point.

Thanks for the help.

#221 ·
The issue of long crank time when engine is cold only happens when the humidity is above 80
% and the temp below 40F, but no faults stored, so BMW says it is within specs. But this did not happen before the first SW update they did on the DME. My guess is they are tweaking timings/fuel-air mixture or even injector pressure to avoid failure. I am wondering if the performance changed (I can't tell, it must be very minimal)
My first engine fail at 100 miles happened after driving at 55mph for 10 minutes on county Rd then on freeway for 5 minutes at 75mph, humidity was high, almost 95% , foggy and temp was 35F. Engine started misfiring and cylinder 1 failed car went into limp mode and slowed down suddenly to 50mph putting me in danger of being rear ended since there were no brake lights 5:00am in the morning with a 18 wheeler on my right so I had to pull to the left side which is a danger in itself.
I am thinking of just selling the car? for this price I should have a dependible car? what do you guys think?

#222 ·
Did you get the long crank symptom before that incident? or yours more like no warning whatsoever deal?

I had reduce power malfunction when car under 250 miles getting out of my garage, power cycle then never seen it again ever (knock2 on bamboo trim). But no rough start or long crank either to the point I thought it was S/W glitch.

Yep this thing could be safety hazard, more like when you on 2-lane highway passing train of slow trafic cars (overtaking the other direction lane) then in this happen when semi truck incoming. not good.

#227 ·
5351 2008 Fuel pump problem

i was driving home last night and the "engine malfunction, reduced power" light came on in the morning i had the car towed to local bmw dealer later they called and said it is the high pressure fuel pump but it is cover unde warranty on this till 120,000 miles or 10 years because bmw had a problem with this so they have warrantyh on these and it would not cost me anything. if thats what you have then check with you local dealer first.

#228 ·
Hate to burst your bubble, but my 2009 went into the shop today and had the hpfp replaced. The car displayed rough idle starts in the morning after sitting for a couple days. It once went into limp mode, although I turned the car off and restarted it and everything seemed fine. Had no problem with the dealer replacing it. Looks like the problem is alive and well with the 09. Still love the power and speed of this car. Miss my 650 though

#233 · (Edited)
Interesting that these pumps fail at almost any point in their life... as early as 1-6K miles, or 20K+. Mine is still OK at 15K and 2.5 years and I'm now driving it daily as opposed to having it sit in the garage days at a time when I didn't have to commute.

Rumor (and I emphasize RUMOR) has it BMW may do a recall... but to do that they better be 99.9% sure they have a pump design that works reliably, and it'll probably be a while since they'll have to manufacture a boat-load of new pumps to support that recall.

I remember when the failures were so common, BMW couldn't keep enough replacement pumps in the supply chain to meet dealer needs.

Sure hope they get a good design produced before mine goes or the recall happens - whichever comes first. :)

BTW... I love the car and wouldn't part with it for anything. Hope I feel that way after the warranty runs out.

#234 ·
The problem is very well alive, healthy, and kicking with 2010 535i also.

#235 ·
I think I see a (not good at ALL) trend...

Attachments

#241 ·
Received the engine malfunction message today while getting to leave for work. Called dealership, of course they tell me could be 1000 things. One said bring it in, the other dealership said stop driving and have it towed in. I hope the issue isn't major. When I started the car again, the light didn't come in. The car is still driving normal, no rattle or shakes, but I do believe something is wrong. I will find out and post the outcome.

#244 ·
I have a 2008 BMW 535 xi and I get the same warning. I live in Wyoming altitude roughly 7000 feet and I get the code all the time. I drove the car to California and it performed flawlessly for one whole week could this be altitude related? Or possibly a computer program problem

#246 ·
Engine Malfunction Reduce Power 2011 535i Black, with Tan Seat

I have a 535i and I was driving up the highway and my engine malfunction reduce power light came on and I was able to reach my destination. I tried to start at my destination and it would not start. Then after a few hours, I went out there and it started just fine, no warning or engine malfunction, I immediately cut it off. I went out there later and it started up and I was able to drive back home an 1hr 1/2 without any hiccups. I want to know:

What type of gas should I be using?

Do anyone know a extended warranty company that is good for BMW?

#250 ·
engine malfunction

I had the same problem on my 08 535i. I took it to the mechanic and he said it was the fuel injectors so got that replaced. After a week or so I had a misfire on cylinder 3 and he said to replace the spark plugs and ignition coils so I had that taken care of, ever since then I haven't had an issue involving the reduced power message.
However I currently have a p0172 code saying my system is too rich in bank 1, any ideas on what that could be?

#252 ·
Is your car a 2001 530i as in your profile, or do you have a different car now?

#256 ·
Hey guys, I***8217;m a first time poster on this blog. I own a 2008 535xi with 186k miles on it. I***8217;ve had the car for about 4 years now and have put about $7k into it over that time. I just got a fuel leak fixed and I***8217;ve been getting the engine malfunction warning before I got that fixed and thought the warning was for the leak but then the car shut down last night (after the leak was fixed) and the warning light said fuel pump. I need to know if anyone suggests where I should get a high pressure fuel pump for this car? Thanks

#257 ·
Hey guys, I'm a first time poster on this blog. I own a 2008 535xi with 186k miles on it. I've had the car for about 4 years now and have put about $7k into it over that time. I just got a fuel leak fixed and I've been getting the engine malfunction warning before I got that fixed and thought the warning was for the leak but then the car shut down last night (after the leak was fixed) and the warning light said fuel pump. I need to know if anyone suggests where I should get a high pressure fuel pump for this car? Thanks
Don't dig up old threads for a problem you haven't diagnosed yet. May not have anything to do with the thread and you've just made people read thru all that stuff.

First step is figure out what the light is for, don't just start throwing parts at undiagnosed problems. Get a BMW code reader or take it to someone who has one, and go from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.