BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

F30 Introduction Moved Up?

23K views 36 replies 25 participants last post by  RobertaZ 
#1 ·
According to Feb 2010 Roundel, F30 introduction moved up to 2011. Can anyone confirm/provide more details/speculate?

#5 ·
Interesting link. But no mention of a Sportwagon variant. I don't consider a GT3 to be equivalent to a 3 series Sportwagon. Hope it was just an omission in the writeup.

#7 ·
Wow. That is too bad. I guess my next ride will be an X1, a Jetta Sportwagen or an A4 Avant. I was looking forward to a new 3 series wagon, actually. I suppose I could lease a used one though. Hmmm.

#13 ·
I am one of those wagon freaks and if there is no 3 series or 5er wagons I am out . I love my BMW ,
but if BMW leaves me with X1 crap and 3GT and no reasonable diesel I'll have to agree with archrenov8 -
it is Jetta or A4 wagon.
Of course the A4 sucks because has no diesel and is only 2.0T and the Jetta has no AWD and is ugly,
and I am not buying a Japanese car !
Do they all hate us ?

#14 ·
Of course the A4 sucks because has no diesel and is only 2.0T and the Jetta has no AWD and is ugly,
LAst I checked the A4 Avant didn't have a manual trans - cross that one off my list. The Jetta has front wheel drive - move that to the bottom of the list. The Passat has AWD as an option (I prefer RWD) but is too squishy in the suspension. The Scubbie's might be an option but again, i prefer RWD. Maybe a Caddy CTS wagon if they fulfill their promise of a manual trans.

BMW USA - if you're listening, you better keep the future 3er/5er wagons on the showroom floor and available with a manual trans or I'm jumping ship. No the GTs don't count nor do the steptronic or DSG options count as a manual transmission (it has to have 3 pedals!).

#17 ·
Wow, there is a name I have not seen in a long time! How are you?

#26 ·
Sounds likely. Then the coupe variant released in 2012 and the M3 a year behind which is the one I'm watching for.....

#25 ·
I went to my dealer today to drive the new F10 (nice - if big), and I asked CA about any info on the U.S. introduction of the F30. He said that they are being told that the F30 will show up in the spring of 2012 as a 2013 model, with U.S. intro sometime in the summer of '12 (probably June). This is consistent with past U.S. BMW introductions for new models. He did say that BMW is looking into shortening their new model cycle from seven years to possibly six, or maybe even five, but that this would not affect the new F30.

#27 ·
I'm about to buy a 328 and I'm a bit worried about buying right before the new model comes out and having the "old" version. Is there any confirmed date for the release of the 3 series redesign? Additionally, since its 2011 already, does anyone know when the 2012 models will go on sale this year? (I would rather buy a 2012 in 2011 for resale purposes)

#33 ·
Model Years are being introduced an crazy fashion this year. 3ers continue as 2011 until the fall. The 1er, which is getting a facelift, will be MY2012 beginning this month. The new X3 is a 2012 model as is the new 6er.

@bredi - It costs them very little to "end" your lease 3 months early as the car already took most of its depreciation hit. If they can lock you (and thousands more) into another 3 year lease then they have created a solid revenue stream.

There's very little chance the 2012s models will be the F30. It doesn't coincide with BMW 7 year cycles. In 2005 the e90 was displayed at the 2005 Geneva Motor Show. It arrived in the USA months later as a 2006. The 2011 F10 was displayed in 2010 at the 2010 Geneva Motor Show. That's not happening with the F30. There's not another big European auto show for many months, which doesn't leave BMW time to display the new model and build interest prior to the on-sale date.
Correct. In fact, there NO chance at all.

#28 ·
From what I've heard, intro is at the Frankfurt auto show in Sept 2011 with worldwide release at the Geneva show in Spring 2012.

Also supposedly the 328i will lose the inline 6 and have a turbo 4 with more hp and torque. I'm not sure if you wanted the non-turbo 6 but that will no longer be an option after this year. Just a thought.

#29 ·
So... your suggesting this will be a 2013 model then?

#31 ·
On the other hand... I got an "end your lease 3 months early" by March 31st promo. (which I still don't see why I would end my lease early given a year or model change.)

Frankly, if I ended my lease early on march 31st, and they announced the f30 in April. I'd be pissed at BMW. Especially if orders placed by March 31st were 2011 builds. Im' already kinda pissed with my experience with this last one.

If however, its only to clear out 2011's on the lots and the 2012s are the same, that is expected. But... then its just a end your lease early into an older year build than you would get if you just stayed the course three months later. Hmmm I still don't get it.

But it is for a reason.

bredi

#32 ·
@bredi - It costs them very little to "end" your lease 3 months early as the car already took most of its depreciation hit. If they can lock you (and thousands more) into another 3 year lease then they have created a solid revenue stream.

There's very little chance the 2012s models will be the F30. It doesn't coincide with BMW 7 year cycles. In 2005 the e90 was displayed at the 2005 Geneva Motor Show. It arrived in the USA months later as a 2006. The 2011 F10 was displayed in 2010 at the 2010 Geneva Motor Show. That's not happening with the F30. There's not another big European auto show for many months, which doesn't leave BMW time to display the new model and build interest prior to the on-sale date.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.