BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2006 BMW X% 4.8is

3K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Davie F 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I just joined the site today. I love the X5 model...I had a 2005 X5 3.0 and currently have a 2007 X5 3.0

Anyway i saw a 2006 X5 4.8is for sale today...have a bout 50k on it so pretty reasonable...Anyway i was wondering if these cars are generally reliable like mine have been? I have heard some stories of the air suspension being a nightmare and the tires(big ol things) being pretty pricey....Any other unusual costs associated with the 4.8 over the 3.0?

#2 ·
Hey everyone,

I just joined the site today. I love the X5 model...I had a 2005 X5 3.0 and currently have a 2007 X5 3.0

Anyway i saw a 2006 X5 4.8is for sale today...have a bout 50k on it so pretty reasonable...Anyway i was wondering if these cars are generally reliable like mine have been? I have heard some stories of the air suspension being a nightmare and the tires(big ol things) being pretty pricey....Any other unusual costs associated with the 4.8 over the 3.0?
You have to pay to play. A bit more issues. One more bank means twice the valve covers, twice the Vanos, twice the valvetronic. You just have to take care of it just as you took care of your other X, and the current one. The only main difference is the engine and the 4corner suspension (as far as E53 goes), everything else would roughly be common practice as far as scheduled maintenance goes.

#4 · (Edited)
upallnight...thank you for the information..for a car to retain the CPO, wouldnt it have to go back to the original dealer that it was bought from? The car is now almost 7 years old so is there anyway it could still be certified?

nm did some research...found out that if the car is under 60k it needs to go through a check up with BMW to make sure it scores high enough to become certified...I have read though that is is usually a waste of money to pay 2-4k to perform the check up and bring it up to CPO standard for just an additional 2 years of warranty...thoughts??

#6 ·
upallnight...thank you for the information..for a car to retain the CPO, wouldnt it have to go back to the original dealer that it was bought from? The car is now almost 7 years old so is there anyway it could still be certified?
CPO certifies the vehicle up to six years from the in service date. Given this vehicle is almost seven years CPO is unlikely to be an option.

#5 ·
Intermediate levers for the N62 could be a problem if you live in a cold area. They have been known to require replacement as early as 60,000 miles. I think part cost is 2 to 3,000 and man hours could be close to 40 hours. So you could be looking at 5 to 8,000. If you have the water cooled alternator in the X you better be sitting down when they tell you what the part cost without the labor.

Only you could decide if it worth the additional cost for a CPO car, perhaps the dealer will make it a CPO car seeing that it only has 50,000 miles.

#7 ·
You must pay to play

4.8is -
Pros
Awesome transmission
Powerful torque monster engine
Great handling for a heavy SUV

Cons
Expensive to fix
N62 is a problematic motor as stated before, Valvetronic intermediate levers are a common issue in very cold climate, Valley pan gasket problems occur occasionally, Vent valve problems again in the cold, Air ride can get expensive to repair, If driven easy - secondary air ports will clog :(

Reality -

Awesome truck to drive, loves abuse but loves maintenance - if you dont take care of it, it will not take care of you. M54 3.0 and N52 3.0 are a bit more forgiving if you forget to maintain it, N62...not so much

#11 ·
There are people on this forum as well as other forums that regrets buying a used X after they learn what it cost to keep them running. Not everyone is a DIYer, and some DIY job requires special tools that cost hundred of dollars for just a one time use. People should realize that these are just cars and nothing special. They are surprise that suspension pieces such as thrust arms need to be replaced on a mileage bases, whereas before coming from another car other than a BM Trouble U they never had to touch the suspension. They are nice cars when they are brand new with a warranty, but they are more costly to repair once they go out of warranty.

#12 ·
That may very well be, but look at the OP. Seeing that they are coming from 2 X5's and are questioning another don't you think that the advice given should be sound rather than negative as they have surely experienced those issues before in some way or another?
I'm just looking at it from the OP's perspective. You are speaking the truth, but if they've been slammed before and want to continue getting slammed that probably means they weren't getting slammed in the first place. So if all experiences were great and taken care of with the first two, I'm sure they can hold their own with the third.

#13 ·
Original poster is coming from two 3.0i X. This is his first V8 X. These are two completely different cars Different engine as well as different transmissions. 3.0i don't have intermediate levers or problems with the timing guides like V8 Xs. 3.0I don't have watercooled alternators.

#15 ·
If the OP was a DIYer and need to replace the timing chain guide, or intermediate lever, do you think he will have the tools to set the timing for a V8? How often do you think people will replace thrust bushings or rear carrier bushings on their X during the time that they will own it? Maybe once. These repairs requires special tools that unless you are in the business of repairing BM Trouble U are not in every DIY's tool box.

#17 · (Edited)
It's a parody on how people in the US pronounce BM double U. The Germans pronounce BMW as Bay Em Vay. Porsche owners know better to call their car a Por -sha and not a Porch, but U.S. BMW owners call their cars BMUU instead of BMV.

I saw a video on Youtube on fixing the BM Trouble U by a mechanic that worked at a BMW dealership and he refer to BMW as BM Trouble U. So I did not originate the term BM Trouble U but I like the term. I use the term when people are having trouble with their BMW.

Here's Loyld's Youtube page, he does a lot of videos on repairs to the BM Trouble U.

http://www.youtube.com/user/lloydnyerssaunders

#18 ·
I am thinking of the same move from a so far ultra reliable 3.0is to a 4.8is, the issues around the front airbags and the intermediate levers do worry me though. Nissan and Toyota have had issues with seized engines the 2.5 and 3.0 oil burners come to mind so even they are not perfect. It seems all 4x4s have some problems (had mitsubishi in the past, never again) think I will test drive a 4.8is and if it blows my mind I'm having it. Condition and service history is everything though.
Davie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.