BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

transmission

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  E30 hobby car 
#1 ·
i am sitting with a problem i have recently bought a e30 bmw 93 model with automatic transmission.
Yesterday i started the car and it didn't want to go into reverse, so i pushed the car out and took a drive. When i started her up again she went into reverse, i put the car back into drive and drove off but it didn't want to shift to 2nd gear. i also tried going through the 1st 2nd and 3rd gear but nothing happend. its almost as if the car does not register it needs to change. what is the problem. where do i start????

#3 ·
time to start thinking of a 5spd swap.

either the valves are starting to get gunked up and need to be cleaned (oil and filter change) or the pump and planetary gears are starting to show their age

#4 ·
Does not sound cheap. Try a good indy transmission shop first.

#7 ·
I found changing the filter and fluid very, very easy.

step one, get a new filter and transmission pan seal.
step 2, drain the transmission by removing the drain plug
step 3, remove the fluid pan off the bottom the tranny, i think htere are 6 screws. (mine were really rusted so i ordered new ones)
step 4, remove the old filter, only 1 alen key screw holding it in
step 5, clean off the magnets in the bottom of the pan, install new filter and seal and put the pan back on.

get new fluid and fill it up.

super easy.

its about as easy as changing the oil, except with a few more screws.

#9 ·
the magnets are for small shavings/filings that accumulate in the fluid. My car was very neglected and when i changed my filter i had a significant amount of filings on the magnets. my fluid was also a dark black sludge.

the PO really neglected the car leaving me with alot of work todo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.