BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Braking techniques for ice covered roads

852 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  KrisL 
#1 ·
I'm prefacing this with the fact that I have dunlop wintersport 3d's 225/45/17's at all 4 corners.

Last night I got caught out on an ice covered patch of road in a braking zone leading up to an intersection. Even with minimal to moderate brake pressure the ABS kicked in completely and nearly all brake pressure and performance was lost. The only way I avoided plowing into the intersection was by steering hard right. This caused the DSC system to kick in and the car was able to do a right quarterspin and the car slid to a stop sideways. Apparently, the DSC has the ability to override the ABS and selectively lock wheels when appropriate to maintain directional control.

ABS is wonderful in virtually all situations but I find that it hinders braking on ice. I've found that momentarily locking a wheel when you need to brake in a straight line is preferred. When driving a front wheel drive car, I was able to get around this problem by downshifting to 2nd or even 1st and slowly engage the clutch to use engine braking to effectively "lock" the fronts and slow. This same strategy would likely lead to a spin or loss of control in a RWD car.

While my snowtires have been fantastic in snow covered roads, their ice traction is still a bit lacking.

Does anyone have any thoughts/advice for braking on ice?

See less See more
#2 ·
Buy studded tires.

No, really. ABS kicks in because your tires have lost friction. On ice, there is no friction at all, so even if you did lock up the brakes, you will would continue sliding forward at your speed with no reduction in speed whatsoever. Braking relies on traction with the surface, and when there is none, you cannot stop.

The times where brake lock-up helps would be at low speeds in snow or gravel, because locking up the wheels in those cases would allow snow/gravel to pile up in front of the wheels, which help slow the vehicle down. But on glaze ice, you slide no matter what.

#3 ·
I have been in the exact same situation as you and it is a very scary feeling. It almost felt like I was speeding up when I applied the brakes. As the previous poster said you can buy studded snows, which I don't like because for 99% of the driving you do they are a serious detriment. I have found that the best solution is to drive very smooth. Sudden movements are the downfall of a driver on ice. It is best not to put yourself in that situation to begin with. Always test your traction several hundred feet before an intersection, and hope that there is not a frozen puddle at the intersection.

#5 ·
Slow down, look further down the road at the road conditions to begin planning earlier. You might have to use very very little brake pressure to come to a stop, so you have to make sure you have time.

When your existing snow tires wear down to halfway, I'd recommend replacing them with something without 'performance' or 'sport' in the name if ice and/or deeper snow is a possibility where you live.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.