BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

DVD Changer Repair and Retrofit DIY / Instructions

13K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  marduksoft 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

Thought I would share my experience with my latest endeavour, I recently bought a damaged non working DVD changer from a breakers in the USA for £80. It looked bad but was tempted to try and repair it!

Thought this may be of use if you have a jammed cartridge or mechanically faulty DVD changer.

This is the unit I bought:

The damage was caused by forcefully removing the cartridge with a screwdriver! :yikes:

I bought a standard BMW 6 CD changer as fitted to the E46, E39 etc.. on eBay, the OEM BMW changers are manufactured by Alpine, I bought this to use for parts.

Below is the comparison between the 6 CD changer (on the left) and the damaged DVD changer (on the right), pretty similar! :D

Anyway cut a very long story short the following photos show the disc transport mechanism stripped out of both units and compared.

CD changer on the left, DVD on the right

Upper part of mechanism bent on DVD changer

This is the underside of the lower mechanism, DVD on the right. The motors on the top left of the parts is responsible for drawing the tray from the cartridge and clamping it to the spindle, its common for this to jam meaning the DVD/CD changer cannot load discs.

Finally all good parts transferred to the DVD changer housing, the front of the CD changer was swapped over and the piece with DVD CD CHANGER was swapped over to the CD changer cover.

And after a bit of coding and region changing (region 1 to 2) it works! :bigpimp:

I just lashed it up in the glovebox fibre port for testing as I didnt know if it was going to work or not, I will update on the actual retrofit later.

Stuart

See less See more
#4 ·
NICE, post up some pics and a quick write up when you fit it, interested in doing that myself!

#9 ·
View attachment 374440

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using BimmerApp mobile app
Thats great! look forward to seeing the pics, There is a small module in the wheel too, alot I have seen have this missing. I currently have the sport 3 spoke wheel, the heated versions of this are pretty rare and expensive! :cry:

#8 · (Edited)
Hi,

No there is nothing pre-wired unfortunately! the DVD changer only requires a supply, ground, video out and MOST fibre interface. If you remove the NAV computer there is some plastic trunking/cable tray behind, in there you will find three terminal blocks, you simply wire the positive of the DVD changer into the red and white striped cable terminal fed from fuse 76 in the boot, and the ground to a ring crimp on the earth stud behind the passenger rear light (drivers rear light if your LHD).

You just then need to run a CVBS signal to the video module, I will give details of this and its connectors later. I also need to fit the fans and ducting to complete.

Stuart

#12 ·
Yeah will do tomorrow, it's an unusual connector pins 10 and 20 for the power use larger crimps in the same housing as the smaller square types. Luckily the changer came with the connector shell and short lengths of wire.

I used some small diameter coax for the video, it looks identical to the OEM lead.

Thanks for the positive comments!

Having some trouble reading some DVDs at the moment so will be adjusting the laser calibration this week, will post if successful!

Stuart

#14 ·
Oh I see, yeah I have seen that kit for sale, the 6 disc cd changer has a composite video out, you have to be in the DVD menu in the idrive so that the audio is present.

The video module switches the DVD or TV to the NAV drive, but using two composite cables! Which is a nightmare! I was hoping it was one so that whatever source I have selected t the front I could mirror in the back.

Thinking of using some cheap reverse camera Lcds and make some custom headrest brackets at work. They have two composite inputs a d a reverse input I could wire to a switch to select the TV or DVD for the kids.

It's all a bit aftermarket and tacky so may just retrofit the rear entertainment with the single screen, pretty pricey and I will need another video module!

Stuart

#15 ·
So wait, you basically took the CD changer internals and put the in the DVD changer?

#17 ·
Hi Everyone,

I hate resurrecting threads from the dead!
My problem is i want to do this and have a unit on the way, but i can find any clear instructions on how the wiring works!

Can anyone help?

Many Thanks
Christian

#20 ·
A bit of an old thread, but I wanted to see if there is any trick to getting the DVD changer magazine unstuck. I just picked up an '07 with the rear entertainment system, but the magazine in the boot is stuck and won't eject. I can't see the photos from the OP to see if I can glean something from his project.

#21 ·
hello,
I vave a '06 E65 with TV Module. I bought a DVD changer and I have one issue: I've connected the Positive and the ground, the MOST FO but where can I connect the Video Signal? I coded the MMI, The option DVD Changer appears, but nothing happen when I sellect it. any help with a wire diagram for the video modul connections?
thank's a lot!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.