BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

what make/model tires do you guys use for winter?

6K views 47 replies 21 participants last post by  Kief 
#1 ·
This is my first winter with a Bimmer. I've been checking out the differences between performace winter tires and studless snow/winter tires.

i know Bridgestone blizzaks LM-60 or WS60 are popular but Ive also wondered if the new Michelin pilot PA4 are worth the extra $$$ ($250 for 4)

I am expecting cold temps for 4 months and snow/ice for one week/year average.

What do you guys use for the winter...???

#2 ·
dunlop wintersport 3ds.

the blizzak WS series will be squishy on dry roads compared to the LM.

#4 ·
from what you describe (1 week or so of snow and ice, and the rest cold) i would go with a performance snow.

two of the top contenders are the bridgestone lm60 and the dunlop wintersport 3D.

the lm60 will be biased to snow performance (its the same tread pattern as the ws60, just without the tube multicell)

the 3d would be biased toward dry and wet road performance.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App

#5 ·
I use Blizzak WS series. I deal with the squish on the dry to get the go in the snow. YMMV.

I do agree with Orient that VA would seem to indicate a performance snow rather than a snow/ice tire.

#28 ·
When I lived there the worst snow situations were the mid day thunder snows that would drop 6+ inches of wet snow before the evening commute. None of the roads would be plowed and hundreds of cars would get stuck. In those cases a traditional deep tread snow tire worked best. That said, I usually ran performance winter tires, which were adequate but not very reassuring when driving through deep fresh snow. NoVa is pretty good at plowing and de-icing, it's day 1 where things were really hairy.

#6 ·
I have a staggered set up on my Summer's at the moment but there are very few winter tires including the BS LM60s and the 3Ds that have both 225/40 for the front and 255/35 for the back. Since the rear rim is only 0.5 Inch wider and will accept a 225/40 should i change to a sqaure set of 225/40 all round?

#8 ·
recommend going with a tire and wheel set-- the cost of mounts and balances will cover the cost of the rims within 2.5 years. going with 17s will cut the cost even more

runflat mount and balances run about 120-140, twice a year.

plus you wont subject your factory rims/tires to mount dismount damage, potholes, and sand/salt

#9 ·
I'm getting new tires as well this month, but I was planning on going with just Continental DWS's, and swapping my current Conti SSR RF's with them. OEM wheels as well. I figure I'll probably sell the car before I swap to new tires...

#10 ·
I'm pretty sure Im going to use the OEM rims and swap the tires. My reasoning is that i am moving to non-run flats for the winter and also next summer season. So i am spending money on a donut. I just dont have all the money in the world to buy new tires, rims just or winter and a $350 donut. Maybe when i have saved some extra i can take the next step and get some dedicated winter rims. So is it fine to go with thinner tires on the back for winter, i heard this may even be beneficial in slick conditions?

#11 ·
We have the same car, pretty much, and I'm doing exactly what you're doing, swapping out the RFT's on my OEM rims, and putting in (probably) new Conti DWS Non-Run Flats. I read they do excellent in rain and sleet, as well as snow in general. Pretty good for dry also. But I'm not buying until the end of the month, looking at all options.

#13 ·
The cost of mounting and balancing will surely not be higher than a whole new set of rims over 5 years? Ive seen places that do it for $15 per wheel. which is $120 per year. Which is about even against a set of cheap rims over period of 5ish years. Since my rims are 7 years old they are not quite in the same condition as brand new ones even though i take good care of them. So Im not too concerened about possible damage to them with moutning and remounting. In an ideal world yes i would but new rims but i just dont have the money for that right now. I need to keep some back for the inevitable cooling system failure now im at 83K miles :)

#14 · (Edited)
Guaranteed it will be higher over 5 years. You're ignoring the higher cost of 18" snow tires versus 17". In addition, if you've found a place that is mounting and balancing a tire for $15 a pop, I'd bet one of my kids (OK, the one I don't like) they're using old-style equipment that's going to leave your BMW rims looking like you've been polishing curbs with them, regardless of how they look now.

A fast run on TireRack:
4 LM-60 tires in 225/40-R18 = $808 + $60 mount/balance at cheap place = $868
4 LM-60 tires in 225/45-R17 mounted and balanced on inexpensive rims (no TPMS) = $1132.

Difference = $264.

You would be ahead of the game after the second year. And a $264 savings this year doesn't seem big enough to fix the cooling system. ;)

#16 ·
...and there i was thinking "oh yeah, i'll just throw a couple winters on to see me through"! so much to think about!

#17 ·
when i got my 01 i was like, oh, cool, high performance tires! how bad could it be in the snow

then reality sunk in
:)

#19 ·
Im on Micheline Pilots that are very worn and need to be changed regardless.... Thought about all seasons but i figured that a set of winters will last me through until i sell the car X years down the road and will probabaly just about break even of 2x all season replacements vs 1xset of summer tires adn 1x set of winters. leaving me with the performance benefits of both.

#20 ·
if you see only very light snow, take a look at the conti DWS. 50K mile treadlife warranty. very good snow performance for an all season

#22 ·
This is my first winter with a Bimmer. I've been checking out the differences between performace winter tires and studless snow/winter tires.

i know Bridgestone blizzaks LM-60 or WS60 are popular but Ive also wondered if the new Michelin pilot PA4 are worth the extra $$$ ($250 for 4)

Continental all-season. Rarely have a problem but I do avoid deep snow. I'm retired so if it's really bad I stay home (but my agency has had work-at-home for at least a decade so it would not have been a problem even if I was still employed).

#26 ·
We've put Blizzaks on for years and they worked great, but the most recent set we got are Continental Extreme Winter Contact and I must say they are MUCH much quieter, actually, they're quieter than my summer tires. Blizzaks are really noisy. Reviews/statistics say that the Conti's are just as good as the Blizzaks, unfortunately it didn't snow last year so I didn't get to test them out, but they're much cheaper and much quieter. Relying on All Seasons with RWD is really a gamble, definitely go for snow tires, they make a huge difference.

I'd also suggest buying separate rims for the snows as well, sounds expensive but when Mavis charges you $25 a tire in the fall and $25 per tire in the spring to mount/balance the snows it adds up. Usually a swap is free if they're on the rims already. You can get cheap rims on tire rack (not steelies) for about $90 each.

#27 · (Edited)
I am thinking about running this winter setup. I live in Seattle and on the few days it snows I absolutely have to get to work which involves a 17 mile highway drive and several large hills. I drive a '12 E92 335 xdrive.... Thoughts?

17x8 Elbrus I08 Anthracite Painted
for 2012 BMW 335i xDrive Coupe Base Model
In Stock
$126.00 $504.00
225/45R17 Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II Run Flat Blackwall 210, Run Flat
for 2012 BMW 335i xDrive Coupe Base Model
In Stock
$208.00 $832.00

Attachments

#29 · (Edited)
I'm not sure I'd go with the Pirellis in the performance winter category. You don't see a lot of people raving about them, while the Blizzaks, Michelin Alpins, and Dunlops have tons of people who pipe up about them in the snow tire discussions. All now have 225/45-R17 RFTs.

Also, Tire Rack does not appear to be shipping pre-mounted and balanced any more without TPMS if your car has it (NHTSA strikes again), so don't forget another $200

#30 ·

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R snow tires.

I had a set of Nokian's on my E93 RWD as well as my E90 M-Sport AWD and had amazing performance in New Hampshire's challenging conditions for 5+ years. Especially on my RWD 3 Series, it out handled my FWD cars on lesser tires, couldn't believe it.

Others are recommending performance winter tires and I disagree. On a RWD car you go for maximum traction even if you only get 7-10 days of really nasty conditions. Otherwise, stay on all-seasons, save your money, get a ride from a friend on those days.

BJ

#32 ·
Just put a set of staggered conti-DWS on and you won't need to think about it again for 3 or 4 years, I have driven on them in deep snow with no problems and they have a great ride, smooth and quiet and have a long tread life, (less tread life with staggered setup) but they look better! :thumbup:

#35 ·
If you have RWD you absolutely need snowtires. If you have XDrive you don't. Don't waste your money, you simply don't need snow tires, we've driven our 335ix in more snow than most small SUV's can handle and it's great with all seasons.

#40 ·
I don't know if I can agree with this advice. You still won't be able to stop or turn. Where I live, it gets very cold, and All Season tires even in a road with no ice just won't perform because they get so hard.

We put Winter Tires on our AWD SUV, and the difference in drivability on that is night and day.

It all really depends on what your winters are like though. Personally I just don't drive vehicles without winter tires anymore. I can afford them, and they drastically increase the safety of me and my family.

#37 ·
The jummobile sports Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds. 225/40/18 all around.

I put them on this afternoon as snow is expected tonight!

Today was also the first day of skiing for the year for me and mrs. jummo, over at Copper mtn.

Game on!

jummo

#48 ·
Depending on your winter needs, I'm another one in favor of the Conti DWS :thumbup:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.