BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Someone's staying up late...

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  roseng 
#1 ·
After I turn my 6'r the dvd player stays up. I sit inside the car and I can hear the dvd motor spinning and spinning. Once, I stayed inside for 15 minutes or so while at a stake out(j/k)and I could hear the dvd spinning then it would shut down only to awake after a few minutes...Question is: Is this Normal?

#4 ·
I hope it's normal because my 08 does it all the time.

I went to the dealer awhile back with voltage issue (my battery was losing it's charge even though it was new and the alternator was pushing the right voltage) and their answer was it was normal due to my limited driving range (I only drive 4 miles to work). They did ask how close I kept my keys to the vehicle at night (I have comfort access) and also how close my phone was to the vehicle. He said less than 30 feet and the car is likely not going to sleep because it is continuing to talk to the key and the phone. Huh? :confused:

#6 ·
Sounds nuts, but that is the issue. :yikes: My 06' 530i with comfort access was loosing it's mind and having weird starting and other issues.

With the dealers help we finally traced it to my wife leaving her purse in the car with the key in it. She puled it into the garage, and while it was safe from thieves, it was not safe from the Key Monster.

If the key stays in/near the car, it does stay awake and causes some interesting problems. :rolleyes:

My 650i has Comfort access and I restrict the car's access to the key. It can be a bit too smart for it's own good IMHO!

#5 ·
I have this problem intermittently. I think it might be related to the iDrive staying awake because I'm in the garage working on one of the cars and my iPhone stays synced, so the car never shuts down. While I'm in the garage I can hear the DVD running for over an hour.

#7 ·
I gotta ask, how do you know if the car is awake or sleep? The battery in our 7 seems weak some mornings, others it's fine. It does have comfort access. The wife's phone stays 25' from the car, on most nights. The key is usually on the bar, close to her purse.

How can I verify if this is causing the problem? :dunno:

#8 ·
Good question. I was never able to find a way to tell if it was really off. From what I remember when the service manager explained it to me, it can take 20-30 minutes for the car to shut down. You have no idea that it's doing anything in the background.

BTW, I don't think the Phone will do that, I believe it's only the key.

My keys are usually 10-15' away in the laundry room with a wooden door in between, an do not seem to create a problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.