BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Steering Diagnosis Required

1K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Boab 
#1 ·
If I am about to pull into a parking spot making a *LEFT* turn into it, I hear a Woooo. The vibration that more than likely causes it can be felt in the steering wheel and throughout the chassis. It does not sound like breaks, and I have even questioned if it were power steering. All belts have been replaced recently (in the past 5k miles)... Not sure where to go with this.

#3 ·
They are stock rims and tires (size wise)... so Im not sure how they could have magically started rubbing... any other ideas other than Power Steering that could cause the Woooo (wish I could just record the sound, make it a hell of alot easier)...

#7 ·
The "woooo" sound is the P/S pump straining to pick up the fluid that isn't there any more. Replace it with Lucas Power Steering Leak Seal. The stuff is amazing. Wouldn't hurt to do a P/S system flush while you're at it. (but check the fender liner, too...they do come loose).

#10 ·
It's probably something simple. My stock sport wheels with 225/50-16 tires (OEM size) will rub very slightly at full lock. I also had low a low power steering reservoir when I bought the car, which made a metallic grinding noise occasionally. Not really a "wooo" sound, and not something that could be felt through the steering wheel and/or cabin though.

#11 ·
I agree on the ps fluid as well. I had a big leak from my pump awhile back.

This is pertaining to your steering question as well. My car started making the "woooo" like it was low on ps fluid, but it isn't. It only does it if I beat on it while eatin corners up :D. It will do it for a little while, like 10min or so. Then quit. I have replaced my rack and pump now and I'm not low on fluid. Any ideas?

#13 ·
I replaced my pump a little over a month ago because I broke the shaft on the inside of it from doing doughnuts, it was also leaking a little bit anyways. :lmao: So I drove without ps for like a week till I got the pump. Put the pump in no problems till 2 days ago. I took a corner pretty hard like I do just about everyday at said corner, but this time it made the ps whine. Then continued to do it for like 10min then went away? Maybe I'm low enough to where it throws all the fluid to the side and sucks air, then it burps itself after 10min and its fine :dunno:

#15 ·
Lucas works with ANY P/S fluid, including our weird "BMW-uses-ATF-for-P/S-fluid" cars. I was worried about that myself, so I asked. It's fine. :thumbup:

If your level is indeed low, it's leaking somewhere, whether you can see it or not. It doesn't evaporate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.