BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Fuel Pressure Regulator

17K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Leusent 
#1 ·
I have a 1995 325IS built in 03/95. I can't locate the fuel pressure regulator. It is not on the fuel rail assembly as indicated in the Haynes repair manual. Where is it located?

#10 ·
I have occasional hesitation when driving at normal speeds.
my 318 had the same thing i think, when driving at normal highway speeds of 140KPH and at a constant throttle opening, it seemed like the ignition was turned off for a split second, it happened randomly and only perhaps 4-5 times in 60 kilometers. it was kinda heart stopping the first time it did it.

a new set of plugs has cured it.

#6 ·
orly??? :dunno:

did you....

check the plugs??
intake boot isn't torn??
air filter is in good condition??
clean the throttle plate??
take a fuel pressure reading??
inspect o2 sensor operation??
seafoam the intake??

all of these are more likely to give you issues than the fpr. unless you like guessing and throwing parts at the vehicles :dunno:

my experience has been when a fpr fails on these cars the fuel pressure actually goes through the roof. and once failure occurs, it remains as such, not intermittent.

i suggest that you start with the basics first, then progress through the rest to diagnose the issue. or, take it to a shop and have them do the diagnostics first, then you can play mechanic and fix it yourself.

df

#12 ·
I replaced the fuel pressure regulator and vacuum line and it fixed the problem. The car runs great now. However, to completely resolve the problem, I will probably have to replace the crankcase vent/oil separator, but that is a real job.

#13 ·
Nice one Ed - great stuff noting that you got it resolved and how.

Also - Mega Kudos for not rising to the bait :thumbup: At the end of the day DF, Im willing to bet that most people here are playing mechanic.

I know all about the stickies, but truth be told there is more in them there stickies regarding shock/spring configurations, damned air intakes and HIDs than actual decent diagnostic fixes.

Dude had a hunch - dudes hunch was right - guy gives his results, and personally I think this forum is all the richer for his input & result.

Dont listen to them Ed - they get cranky when the keeper hasnt brought them their meat for the day ;)

#16 ·
hunches are great when based upon experience and actualy having the car in front of you to examine. i do not have that luxury via teh interwebz. this is why i read what is posted and ask questions. it's not to just throw people off, or make them jump through hoops. if i do not understand the question, or need clarification, i try to ask for it.

I have occasional hesitation when driving at normal speeds. I also know that the regulator is problematic in these cars.
based upon this statement, a fpr is not the first 'usual suspect' for this problem. the statement about these fpr's being 'problematic' is false. there are more cases of this sort of issue being caused by something simple like a torn intake boot or ignition coil/spark plug. given this is the interwebz and everyone thinks they know more than they do, i take it that any and all posts by people are automotive novices until proven otherwise. that being said, i remember when i didn't even know where to add oil to an engine, so i know what it's like to we a noob and want to be 'a car guy'. that's why i try to help out whenever i can by asking if the basics were covered first.

i'm sure that if you looked at the posts around the 'fest there are lots of them with guys that have been throwing parts at the car 'guessing' that it has got to be the next part they will be putting on, only to find out that it wasn't.

have i been wrong?? sure. nobody knows it all. it's even harder without the vehicle in front of you. that being said, i'm glad to hear the op has his car fixed.

now, where's that zookeeper with my dinner?? :neener:

df

#17 ·
hunches are great when based upon experience and actualy having the car in front of you to examine. i do not have that luxury via teh interwebz. this is why i read what is posted and ask questions. it's not to just throw people off, or make them jump through hoops. if i do not understand the question, or need clarification, i try to ask for it.

based upon this statement, a fpr is not the first 'usual suspect' for this problem. the statement about these fpr's being 'problematic' is false. there are more cases of this sort of issue being caused by something simple like a torn intake boot or ignition coil/spark plug. given this is the interwebz and everyone thinks they know more than they do, i take it that any and all posts by people are automotive novices until proven otherwise. that being said, i remember when i didn't even know where to add oil to an engine, so i know what it's like to we a noob and want to be 'a car guy'. that's why i try to help out whenever i can by asking if the basics were covered first.

i'm sure that if you looked at the posts around the 'fest there are lots of them with guys that have been throwing parts at the car 'guessing' that it has got to be the next part they will be putting on, only to find out that it wasn't.

have i been wrong?? sure. nobody knows it all. it's even harder without the vehicle in front of you. that being said, i'm glad to hear the op has his car fixed.

now, where's that zookeeper with my dinner?? :neener:

df
:rofl:

Absolutely.

HOwever I think that peeps were missing his question - the location of the FPR!

Thats all he wanted :angel:

Oh - I'll send in the raw steaks shortly :eeps:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.