BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Underseat Subs

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  markjo159 
#1 ·
Occasionally I do travel, and would not like to sacrifice my trunk. While I do like the option that is offered by BSW, it seems to be prohibitively expensive.

So here is the question of the day... the e9x cars are equipped with subs under the seat. Ive found two on ebay. In theory, I should be able to mount under the seats and adapt the leads to be RCA plugs, so I can run them directly from my HU. Does this seem like it would work? Or is it an exercise in futility, because there isnt enough room to place these units beneath the seats.

BTW, my HU has built-in cross-overs, so I can set all the "stock" speakers and tweets to do what they do best, the mid and high end.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/E90-325i-SUBWOOFER-SUB-PASSENGER-RIGHT-UNDER-SEAT-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19c08071fcQQitemZ110603825660QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo

-M

#2 · (Edited)
you would need to amp the subs, the power from the head unit wont come close to what the subs would need. in theory it would work but i don't think it's your best option.

i've seen pics of interiors where the owner fabircated his own enclosure in the rear bench, on the left and right sides.....mind you it looked terrible.

but i digress, i don't think it would be worth all the trouble....it would take some hefty modifications to the seats and may affect the comfort level greatly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-B...7576876?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item35adb4d82c
(theres the subs in the bench seat, meh)

#3 ·
Those speaker look like arse :bawling: and they are quite small too, my front woofers are bigger than those :rofl:

Occasionally I do travel, and would not like to sacrifice my trunk. While I do like the option that is offered by BSW, it seems to be prohibitively expensive.

So here is the question of the day... the e9x cars are equipped with subs under the seat. Ive found two on ebay. In theory, I should be able to mount under the seats and adapt the leads to be RCA plugs, so I can run them directly from my HU. Does this seem like it would work? Or is it an exercise in futility, because there isnt enough room to place these units beneath the seats.

BTW, my HU has built-in cross-overs, so I can set all the "stock" speakers and tweets to do what they do best, the mid and high end.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/E90-325i-SUBWOOFER-SUB-PASSENGER-RIGHT-UNDER-SEAT-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19c08071fcQQitemZ110603825660QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo

-M
It will take a lot of custom fabrication to make it work, and it will be not worth it.

#7 ·
Get some solid speakers for the front doors. They should provide enough bass for you.

Personally, on road trips I would turn my sub way down because it just got annoying

#8 ·
Ive got very good bass response right now from my current set up. But I want to switch on the high-pass filter in the HU to kill any low-end distortion coming from my speakers and just directly run the subs from the HU. And yes I did mean under the front seats. I was driving a friends 335i yesterday, and he has a similar setup, sounds great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.