BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Pop Start = Poped trany. HELP!

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Boab 
#1 ·
Okay so my battery’s kind of been dieing n I’ve been too lazy to replace it, that’s how this all happened. So im at a friends house and my car wont start so we push it n I drop the clutch. This has worked many times before and I know what im doing for the most part. The car doesn’t start and my shift knob snaps almost and goes limp. It won't find any gears and you can just move it around in a circle pretty much. I ripped off the boot and all to try and see the problem. I think there’s apiece just hanging off the bearing of my shift knob. Is this a simple part I can just replace or am I looking at a new tranny? If my description doesn’t make sense please ask questions I could really use some help. Im going back to take a better look tomorrow and to hopefully get it towed to my shop.

#2 ·
#3 ·
anyone?

#5 ·
well it was paint, its no longer like that some dbag in a truck backed into me and took em out with his tail pipe. now i just have some black ones.

#7 ·
Yeah i agree too, it was painted green cause i was bored n had paint. the black looks way more classy specialy with out the crome too. but nothing looks classy when my cars stuck in a parkinglot with a shot tranny! im glad theres intrest in my grills but anyone wanna help me with my bigger problem

#8 ·
WIthout a pic, I can't begin to give accurate suggestions. Changing a selector rod? easy, should take an hour. Is that the problem? There's your question.
Ed.

#10 ·
Finally got the car towed but i havent been able to work on it yet due to a finger injury. The Slector rod is not broken just de tached. Prob just a pin or clip that needs replaceing. I don't need advise on fixing it really just wondering if anyone else has had something similar happen. Got a new battery too ;)

#11 · (Edited)
That hasn't happened to me on a BMW, it has happened on another car. One of the securing clips came loose and I lost my 1 and 2 gears. Shifter was really sloppy too. I was pissed since I just dropped in a stage 1 clutch and was still in the break in period... starting off in 3rd surely didn't help much.

#13 ·
There are no gears what so ever. The shift knob isn't even connected to my tranny. The slector rod is just flopping around under the shifter. I still haven't been able to put it on the lift to know for sure. I really think its only be a few broken clips, but that just seems way to simple and things are never simple with E36s :) lol. I'll find out what the deal is in a week, when i can get my stitches out.

#15 · (Edited)
#16 ·
went to the dealership 87 cents. for the clip. got under my car. Fixed :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.