BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

All of you have lost your minds

8K views 158 replies 23 participants last post by  Eight Thirty 
#1 ·
Please someone explain wtf has been going on. I figure it'll be more cohesive here in it's own little thread, while each of you explains your own personal variety of insanity.

Then I'll explain what I've been up to. Deal? Deal.

Begin.

#111 ·
Post whore, just edit Franklyn :confused:

:angel:

#114 ·
Ah yes, the E36 forum. I had a 1998 328i for about six months. The thing was constantly breaking. I now have a 95 E34 and spend my time in that section of the fest which is a fine section mind you. Can't say I miss my E36 though, the E34 is lightyears ahead.

#117 ·
Yes, we all experience the love-hate relationship with our e36s, but I do know I for one won't be getting rid of her for a while. Too much time, effort, money, blood into this one, it would just be giving up.

#115 ·
What are you trying to do here? Go troll somewhere else....you won't convince us that an e34 is lightyears ahead of an e36

#128 ·
I concur, cause I really wasn't your biggest fan back then, but now we're cool. :D No problems with you now, and you really shouldn't diss yourself so much.

^I remember this guy. He listed the things that broke on his E36, and they were all things that won't be a problem if you perform basic preventative maintenance if I recall correctly. No reason to rag on the E36.

That said, I really dig E34s, too.
Your memory astounds me. And interesting, his wasn't even anywhere near as insane as mine is.

Its all how much maintenance the PO did....

In all seriousness.
And what crazy stuff they did to it.

#126 ·
Not ragging, the E36 is an incredible machine. Definitely not ragging on it. The starter failed of all things, it took days and specialty parts to reach it and remove it. Completely ridiculous. The fan clutch destroyed the fan twice. The first time it overheated and blew the head which I had replaced and the second time it broke apart again and dented the hood and destroyed the radiator. The window lifts were always seeming like they were about to break before they finally did. These things are not really preventative maintenance, these things should be solid. The car had only 79,000 when I bought it, too. My E34 has 197,000 miles and I have never had any such issues like I did with my E36. I love the E36, I just don't get what the deal is with such problems.

#130 ·
Mine has low miles like that too, and the (many) things I've come across not many people have had to deal with. Therefore, my theory is the preventative maintenance, crazy PO factor, environment, and luck.

#137 ·
Could have something to do with it being a m3ish? Swaps are really hard to do without gremlins :dunno:

#138 ·
That doesn't explain the other stuff like the door latch, sunroof, alarm, radio, windows rolling down on their own, wheels not fitting, etc...... But yeah, that's what I think for some of it too. It's hard to tell what parts I'm supposed to get for different things. And then even when it's the right part supposedly (like the TMS chip) why it still malfunctions.

#141 ·
Mhm... that's why her second name is Carrie.

Yeah....I have thought about swaping s5x, but for all the time and effort, along with the low prices of m's right now...it just easier to buy the ///m. Where did you find your car Amber? Was it from someone that you can ask about parts and stuffs?
An old guy in Florida; I still have contact with him via e-mail, and have asked him multiple times about different things, but it's not really that easy since the shop that did the swap did it years ago and I think moved or something. Idk, it's retarded, short of it, no, not really. It's all a guessing game.

#140 ·
Yeah....I have thought about swaping s5x, but for all the time and effort, along with the low prices of m's right now...it just easier to buy the ///m. Where did you find your car Amber? Was it from someone that you can ask about parts and stuffs?

#142 ·
Well, you gotta be proud to have a true one of a kind car.....that thing is special for sure :thumbup:

#144 ·
Oh yeah, THAT I definitely am. :rofl: Plus the stories I have out of her are great, no one ever believes the hell I've been through. Granted, it's not pleasant at all at the time.

Ever sell your old rims?
Which ones? The 16s are long gone, but of the old SSRs two are on the car still and two are in my bedroom.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.