BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Rear Brakes E36 HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Boab 
#1 ·
Hi there everyone,

Hopefully someone will know what I'm talking about in the diagram below

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Part 7 which is the pin with a spring attached pushes into the Plate on the car and you twist it for it to stay in place normally, What has happened on my car though is that the Plate you push the Pin into has rusted and cannot therefore support the pin anymore so the Whole drum Assembly is not secured properly.

I need to know if anyone knows of a repair to fix this even if it is just a temporary fix?

Thank You.

See less See more
#2 ·
The part you are referring to is the backing plate. I can't help you with finding that part but I'm sure it's available somewhere. A washer or flat pieces of steel with a slot cut big enough to push the pin thru will work temporarily. The hole diameter would have to fit the pin diameter and the slot large enough as to allow the end of the pin to fit. You might get lucky and find a rebuild kit for an American car with drum brakes as they have a pre cut "washer" that fits on both sides of the hold down spring. You could use one on the outside of the backing plate for a temporary fix while you wait for your replacement parts to come in.

#4 · (Edited)
You should be able to source the backing plates from a dealer or try bmminiparts.co.uk or .com...or google it ;)

The only downside is that the whole drum may need to be removed to replace it. IIRC they are about a tenner a piece (this was for an old M5 so they shouldnt be much more expensive tbh). If you try RealOEM (google again) then you will get the part numbers needed.

Quote these part numbers to the guy in the parts desk and you may just get a little discount for doing your homework ;)

Good luck, and please let us know how you got on,

Regards, Boab :D

PS - dont use the BMminiparts, part numbers - they are horse**** - use the RealOEM website to obtain the correct BMW part numbers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.