BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Is it possible to disconnect gps/onstar?

22K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  Gremlinsl 
#1 ·
My car has that sharkfin on it, gps/onstar(?).
I don't want it.
Is there anyway to disconnect it?
TY

#2 ·
what will you do with the hole in the roof it will leave?
underneath the sharkfin is a hole for the antenna wires to go through, its decently large.

#3 · (Edited)
Yes it's possible to remove. But as mentioned, there is a hole for coaxial cables that connect to the antenna under the shark fin.

If you want to remove the options from your HU, you also need to code them out. Some may still remain though.

#5 ·
Nope there are 4 fakra connectors on mine.

#6 ·
Why would you wanna disconnect the GPS??

#19 ·
Yes, there's a special black helicopter assigned to watch every BMW....it's hovering just over the horizon.

I love the tinfoil hat I got with my wife's 328. So stylish, and it quiets the little voices.

#20 ·
You saw them also? This tends to confirm my fears.

#23 ·
It's not so much the GPS, as like it was said, I have a cell phone and no bady would track me anyway.
What it is, is a friend told me that onstar can listen to all your conversations in the BMW....I found that very strange and definitely not very cool. I would not want a microphone in my house or car.
Not black helicopters, I just like my verbal privacy :dunno:

#24 ·
Do you know: Crowns Candy, or...Pappy's Smokehouse...Sweetie Pie's Kitchen...Jilly's Cupcake Bar?

#30 ·
I have long since had a subscription to BMW assist but when I push the button, I still get conencted to a rep.

They just tell me I have to subscribe to use the services.

So the line is still connected...

#32 ·
Good to know--I was told it was disconnected after being unused for "long enough." It would be nice to know if "long enough" elapses before or after the car is eventually torn apart for recycling. :rolleyes::rofl:

#31 ·
I was actually kidding about my first post. I'd be less concerned about someone listening in through the telematics system than I would be about the OBD data. That is my actual concern.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#34 ·
I think you should get rid of your cell phone.

Then you want to disconnect the power to the TCU or Mulf.
Then you shouldd buy survival gear and move into a remote
part of Canada or Alaska.
Be sure that you are under a thick forest so you can't be observed
by satellite.
And no Internet whatever you do.

#35 ·
Then you want to disconnect the power to the TCU or Mulf.
Then you shouldd buy survival gear and move into a remote
part of Canada or Alaska.
Be sure that you are under a thick forest so you can't be observed
by satellite.
And no Internet whatever you do.
I think you should move to Cuba, or even better Gattica. You can move next door to Ernest Borgnine. You will love it there....they watch every move you make. It's awesome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.