BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Performance Tires or All Seasons?

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  ErnestHouse 
#1 ·
I have the no cost option of performance or all season tires on my MY2014 F07 M Sport order. I don't actually NEED performance tires but don't they wear better than the Goodyear All Seasons that I see complaints about getting bubbles and un even wear?

#2 ·
You're in South Florida, no reason to buy all seasons. Put some performance tires on and you'll enjoy the ride more. Not sure about the durability of the performance tires BMW provides. You probably wouldn't get as many miles with the P tires over the all seasons.

#3 ·
I don't actually NEED performance tires
Truly, in South Florida, you NEED all seasons even less - about as much as you need a hole in your head :)

When they say "performance" tires, they simply mean that they have higher speed rating (totally useless for even most road course racetracks, let alone for U.S. driving). Performance tire will have very high dry grip. Usually, the tradeoff is that they become very hard below 40 degrees F and pretty much useless in sleet and snow no matter how light. However, they also usually have better wet traction as well when compared to all season tire.

All said, I see no reason at all to have all season tires in South Florida.

#4 · (Edited)
"If you live where it never snows, the three-season regular tire always holds the traction advantage."

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/products/know-your-tires-all-season-vs-summer-9647443

BMW recommends winter tires for temperatures below 45 degrees. So if you do trips out of state in winter, a second set of winter tires and wheels would be needed for those trips.

IMO All Season tires are good for the automobile manufactures, as they let them sell cars year round with one set of tires.

In 2010 I bought a Rav4 with all-season tires. In the first week I bought a set of dedicated winter tires and wheels. I will replace the all-seasons with summer (three-season) tires when the tread depth gets to 4/32".

Very informative tread depth video.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/videoDisplay.jsp?ttid=85

I do live in the rainy Pacific Northwest, so it is really not safe for me to go any less than 4/32".

Winter Snow Tires vs All-Season Tires vs Summer Tires testing on Ice

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/videoDisplay.jsp?ttid=116

#5 ·
The problems that you read about here are associated with the 19" Goodyear LS2 all-season tire on the F10. If the tires delivered with the F07 are not 19" LS2s, my guess is you won't have a tire failure problem.

The main differences in the construction between performance tires and all-season is the tire material and tread design. The performance tires use a softer, sticker material that improves road handling. It also wears much faster than the harder all-season material. The wear life of a performance tire can be 50% or less of the all season. The material used in the performance tire doesn't do well when the temperature is below 40 degrees. In fact, it is downright dangerous if the roads are covered with rain or snow below 40 degrees.

#8 ·
Get the perf tires and bumped speed limit. Make sure they are the Dunlop tires.
@ALL .... THANK YOU. I'll leave the order with the staggered performance tires. The Order inquiry shows the 7MP Sports Package, that defines the F07 M Sport Line (ZMM), includes 840 which is Increased Speed Limiter. 2NW denotes the performance tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.